• Overall
    4.6 /5
    4.5 /5
    4.6 /5

About Freedcamp

The effortless way to get your team organized

Learn more about Freedcamp

John L.
Associate Professor
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 1/7/2020

"A great balance of complexity and features but a bit of a learning curve"

Comments: Complex academic research projects with collaboration among Canadian and Tanzanian teams.

Pros: Web-based so easy to add on team members regardless of their hardware and experience. Flexible; can assign tasks, dates, priorities, people and can create several levels of sub-tasks. I like the integration with Dropbox so that files are easily available to all partners and access does not depend on Freedcamp itself. If I ever decide to stop using Freedcamp, I won't have valuable files locked into Freedcamp that I'll have to download before quiting. The support is superb; emails are answered quickly, often within hours and questions answered accurately and concisely without the usual boilerplate text verbiage that many software companies (esp. the big ones) like to indulge in. Switching between the list and Kanban views is very nice.

Cons: With complex projects, the webpages can begin to be very cluttered. As well, the default for finished tasks in to us a strike-out font as opposed to hiding or archiving them so one may see a page where the majority of text is struck out.
reporting is rudimentary, basically a summary of tasks and a time period with little customization possible. I would like, for example, to be able to generate a report by individual team member of all of their assigned tasks and deadlines.

• Reviewed on 1/7/2020
Francesco M.
Senior Researcher
Nanotechnology, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/6/2020

"Great for daily use in a R&D team"

Comments: We use Freedcamp daily for organizing, planning and carrying out our work, setting priorities, organizing meetings and projects. I usually recommend Freedcamp to colleagues.

Pros: Calendar, project management, team management and task planning are great features. These features help us in organizing our workplan.

Cons: The management of completed/incomplete tasks is a bit messy. The user should be provided with the option of archiving old tasks without "deleting" them.
Integration with external services (for example Google Drive) could be improved.
A full mobile (Android, etc.) version of Freedcamp would be great.

• Reviewed on 25/6/2020
Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Renewables & Environment, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/6/2020

"The Right Balance Between Performance & Investment"

Comments: I've been using lots of Project Management and Team Collaboration Apps such as Trello, Slack, Asana, Bitrix24 and more. But when I started to use Freedcamp about a year ago, I learn that this app manages to provide the sweet balance between my learning curve in using the app effectively to go up and running, and all the necessary functionalities without putting my self too much in configuring all the features with it's bells and whistles. Other than that, their support alone is a solid and consistent 5 star performance, very prompt and spot-on showing a high level customer and solution oriented team. I had a few issues during the set-up but once support came in handy, the rest of the on-boarding process was really smooth. In a way, it is a mature App, but later-on, I found out that their roadmap is growing continuously to the right direction, based on my team way of working, and also the current business needs dynamic. More integrations are coming up as well, but for now, I'm satisfy with how the app being developed for the last 6 months or so.

Pros: This app manage to provide the sweet balance between my learning curve in using the app effectively until go up and running, and all the necessary functionalities, without putting my self too much in configuring all the features with it's bells and whistles. The support alone is a solid and consistent 5 star performance, very prompt and spot-on showing a high level customer and solution oriented team. Roadmap and development are heading towards my business needs which means this app is definitely a good long term investment for my team since Freedcamp has been around for quite some time now.

Cons: The on-boarding is good but the learning curve a little bit steep the first time I test it. But recently they improved the UI and it surely enhances other users in my team to have much better UX, and support is always within reach anyway.

• Reviewed on 16/6/2020
Uriah G.
Web Developer
  • Reviewed on 7/7/2017

"I use this application to monitor my task and complete timesheets. Very useful. Very efficient."

Comments: This software saves me time when doing my monthly timesheets and reports. It has helped me to better organize my work life, and my home life. I am looking forward to seeing this as a phone app, so that I can have access to it quickly, and on the go. Thank you to the freedcamp team.

Pros: Each project can be divided into task groups, which allows for a better separation of goals. The tool is probably designed for groups and teams to work together. But I am still in the midst of encouraging my team to use it officially. Currently, the Tasks page works well for self management. I am able to write as many notes as I like, set due dates which will show red when I am approaching the deadline. I love organization, and this page is by far the most useful for me. As a developer at a small company, I am responsible for many different tasks concerning several different projects at any given time. All of these tasks have deadlines and sometimes highly time sensitive. Coming into the task page and seeing things labeled in red, and due dates visible makes my job a little easier to manage. Before this, I was using Google Spreadsheets with the rest of my team to track tasks and deadlines. They still use Google, but I have been using this more and more. Even for my personal task and goals outside of work.

Cons: I like the time tracker. But I feel it could be better organized. It would be useful to store a collection of time records in an archived folder somewhere. I use the time records to keep track of my time each month, in order to bill my client. But after the bill is sent out, I no longer need to see the previous months records. However I would like to access them quickly without playing with the current filter setting. It would also be nice to have a MAX TIME option for a time record. Sometimes I get distracted and forget to hit the stop button. When I return to the time record, it may have 100+ hours and counting. Then I have to guess when I actually stopped working on the task. A selected many feature would be nice as well, in order to delete multiple records at once. I love the Tasks page, but I probably spend more time in the Time tracker page.

by Freedcamp on 8/7/2017

Hi Uriah,

Thank you for a great review!

Later this year you will see more new cool things related to Time/Tasks/Invoices
- set estimate hours on a task
- track time on Tasks - tasks will be exposed to Time app
- time will be tracked for each manual entry or each timer run separately so we can tell how many exactly hours/min you spent this week or this month
- Invoices app will allow to bill client by completed tasks or time period you select. Billed entries will be clearly marked and easily filtered out. You will also be able to pull a combination of completed only and, for example, last month.

- if you worked on a long task and spent 40 hours (billed) last week and 25 hours (not billed) this week - time entry will be marked as partially billed.

And yes - we will definitely add an email and pop-up reminder when timer is running more than 8 hours.

As always - I am happy to chat 1:1 directly to better understand requirements.

Cheers,

• Reviewed on 7/7/2017
Merril A.
director
Design, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 4/8/2020

"Freedcamp Great System for Small Businesses"

Comments: Overall, Freedcamp has made my small freelance business more organized, run smoother, and put all my needed times in one central digital location for easy access later.

Pros: I love this product. I add all my clients in here, create teams when I want others to have access to it, add all my times in for each project, and a little description. I can easily see what I have going on at any time, and how much time I have in any particular project. Easy user interface.

Cons: Features Wish List: I would like to make "Time" come up as a default. It could be that I just don't know how to change default settings. I use it every time, so it would save me time.
Also, I don't know how to delete people from teams and such. I would like to do that. Perhaps if there was a responsive chat for when we have questions?
Lastly, I would like a way to export a particular client or job to show or prove my hours. Like maybe to word or a text file?

Chris C.
Business Owner
Accounting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/8/2020

"Could not operate without this piece of software (now)"

Comments: As I mentioned earlier I could not operate my business with confidence without Freedcamp. It has become a integral part of my system and processes and I would recommend people give it a go. You will just have to familiarize yourself with the way it operates and once you have mastered that, the world is your oyster!

Pros: I purchased Freedcamp for the primary purpose of task management with my team. As the manager (and owner) of my business I recognise how critical systems are to be able to deliver consistent, quality results to clients. This is where Freedcamp shines. It helps me to stay on top of the recurring tasks that would normally be a manual process. Now I have one central location where I can take a birdseye view of all the tasks within my business and the easy to chat options within the Freedcamp platform facilitates team communication (much easier than having to go in and out of different pieces of software). I most definitely could not operate without Freedcamp in my day to day.

Cons: Getting everything started was a bit of a challenge in the beginning. I didn't find the options as intuitive as I would have liked. For example, creating a repeating task that occurred every week was not as easy as I have found in other software. This prompted me to reach out to support to discover the solution. To Freedcamp's credit support was quick and helpful and once I understood how to create a repeating task - my utilization of the software grew.
The views in the dashboard can be a bit overwhelming at times - however this is customizable to your likes and dislikes.

• Reviewed on 13/8/2020
Mary M.
Designer/Developer
Internet, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 23/6/2020

"The most needed features at the best price."

Comments: Love it. Looking forward to a trial of the Minimalist plan.

Pros: The free plan is great as a base in terms of features. Being a freelancer, I like that the minimalist plan with cloud drive connections and email capabilities is affordable.

Cons: I mostly work in the tasks board. The user interface isn't always intuitive so there is a learning curve. It would be great to be able to assign a task to more than one person or to be able to assign subtasks to a separate user. This may be available in a higher plan but I don't see it specifically mentioned in the features list.

• Reviewed on 23/6/2020
Shawn V.
Product Engineering Manager
Utilities, 51-200 Employees

"Daily Project Management"

Pros: The visual kanban organization of "tasks" as well as the cloud base access drew me in to using this software. I use this to manage customer queries for engineering requests under a single "project". I create ~250 new requests each year while continuing to close/service ~ 90 old requests that require revisions. Freedcamp allows me to add notes internal to each task as well as externally add visual subtasks for immediate daily status updates of the active engineering request tasks. The task kanbans get moved between three existing columns: NoProgress, InProgress and Completed for immediate status feedback.

Cons: My use case has been adapted to the software organization limits to limit the data input overhead of assigning each engineering request as a "task" to each engineer to work on. The software is better organized to handle long term "projects" than my numerous engineering tasks. However, I have made it work within Freedcamp but I realize that my use case is not the typical project management scenario.

Alejandro A.
General Manager
  • Reviewed on 8/9/2015

"Freedcamp has done a lot for me and I feel attached."

Comments: For the past year I've been performing an unconventional role as area manager for two movie theatres in Silicon Valley. In March of 2013 I began overseeing both locations without a conventional general manager installed at either location. In customer service and retail industries this kind of flat "start up" organizational structure is unheard of. The "boss" was always off site and the managers were expected to function as a team without any hierarchy. I knew that a key aspect of this radical experiment in re-structuring would be to empower each of the managers to act on behalf of the company while also giving them a way to communicate upstream and downstream with little effort, so that I could "see" what was going on during each shift and the upper management and floor staff could also witness the engagement and commitment of the management team. After test-driving a few social "project" services, I chose Freedcamp. In addition to the cornerstone of manager logs, I use your system for staff schedules, facility maintenance task assignments, HR, special event coordination, logging vacation time, marketing/promotions, emergency forms for police and fire, reporting grosses to studios, a wishlist where all 50 employees can voice their desires for the company, and more. Every department in my company utilizes Freedcamp for something. I was unaware my HR department was using the manager logs until they demonstrated that they were using the search function to look up employees' names and track behaviour over time in advance of disciplinary action. I didn't show them how, they just took the initiative. This was the first clue I got that I wasn't "forcing" the system--that other departments were getting easy access to more information than they had before. A third satellite location in our company is overseen by a technophobe, who has recently and vigorously adapted to the Freedcamp-based maintenance system I developed without my coaching him at all, and now he posts more than anyone else. This is final proof that what I've instituted using your software is self-sustaining, creating a much-needed flow of information within a small but disjointed company that has grown in fits and spurts since 1975. When I took on the new role a year ago, I lost six managers in one month. The strain of the "boss-less" system was too great without some additional infrastructure. Since introducing Freedcamp, my attrition rate is zero. No one wants to leave now.

• Reviewed on 8/9/2015
Martin S.
Head of Customer Relations
Automotive, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/6/2020

"Powerfull and easy to Use"

Comments: Running overall departments projects and org tasks with it, but also productdevelopment in developing products with an agile method using backlog, sprints and kanban boards

Pros: Super functionality, great overview with list views and Kanban boards. Easy to administrate. Provides a super low entry barrier due to great user experience and ease to use.

Cons: It´s a bit Email spamming in the standard setup, needs to be customized for that, but manageable.

Greg H.
Collections Registrar
Museums & Institutions, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/7/2020

"A decent and capable product"

Comments: It has been a good experience so far. Freedcamp is a great way to store and share key documents amongst a team, as well as a great way to channel communication to avoid constant long email chains and to streamline some processes.

Pros: It gives us a good way to structure some of our projects and store files which function as a reference point for a geographically diverse team, which is great. There are a lot of good features that have the potential to help us run our organisation better, too, which we are only just starting to explore - I am confident that there is a lot more Freedcamp can do for us if we let it!

Cons: I have found it to not always be very intuitive to use. As a bit of a novice with this sort of software, setting up the right relationships for teams and team members is a bit fiddly. Some of the project structuring can also be a bit clunky. I have experienced issues with the Online Edit tool, too, which does not always seem to work.

Jack H.
Partner
  • Reviewed on 15/11/2016

"Easily the Best Lightweight PM Tool around"

Comments: I needed a new lightweight PM tool. Checked out old faithful, (Basecamp). Ugh. Don't need to spend the money for these small projects. Tried Asana. Ok, but weird interface I could never get used to. Tried Meisterwork. (I think that was the name.) It wasn't bad, but it didn't wow me. Then I found Freedcamp. Wow! I signed up immediately, and have been using it literally every day for 6 months now. I manage a bunch of smallish projects all the time. None of them last long, but there are too many tasks and too many projects and too many statuses to do it on paper. Wow, do I love this little program. Like Basecamp, it does not do GANTT charts or WBS or Earned Value calculations or all that high-end NASA-centric calculating. What it does do is allow me to manage a butt-load of different projects with lots of tasks without losing my mind. It even has a time tracker.

Pros: I love the "bulletin board" interface option. Love the drag-n-drop status updates. Love the way it manages teams, files, projects. Love the ability to categorize & group. Actually, I love almost everything about this project.

Cons: There is NOTHING I don't like about this. It's like they crawled inside my head and designed the EXACT light project management tool I imagined.

• Reviewed on 15/11/2016
Arthur L.
Process Engineer
Mining & Metals, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 4/8/2020

"Used the Free Version since Uni, absolutely love it"

Comments: Freedcamp has helped me keep track of various tasks and projects that pile-up in my workflow and that I would've forgot had it not been for my notes I wrote on Freedcamp.

Pros: It's simple to track progress on various projects with different team members for each progress. The milestones allows project leaders to see how things are moving in a very visual and pleasing way. I've used freedcamp for over 5 years now. Loved it then, still love it now.

Cons: The new manage system for projects is not easy to use the first few times I had to. I would recommend a one-pager when you first open it that tells you where to go for basic managing options.

Aimee K.
Free Agent
  • Reviewed on 14/6/2018

"Better than Basecamp for a one-woman show like me!"

Comments: Freedcamp helps me stay organized so I feel like I'm on top of my workload, instead of drowning in it!

Pros: I've only been using Freedcamp for a few weeks, but I like it better than any other PM program I've used. Most are built for teams - and this one can certainly be used that way - but unlike the others, it works very, very well for a "solopreneur." I love that I can organize my work by client, but still get a holistic view of the work due for the days ahead. I also like that it's so easy to use that adding tasks doesn't feel like a task unto itself. Freedcamp is fitting very nicely into my workflow. Another benefit: like Basecamp, it emails out a daily snapshot, in case you're like me and view your email on your phone before you get to your desk. It's nice to see what's ahead for the day before I sit down for the daily grind. Honestly, this is so good, I can't believe it's free. And I've only scratched the surface of available features!

Cons: I wish there was a setting that said I was on my own so I didn't have to remember to assign things to myself.

by Freedcamp on 18/6/2018

Hi Aimee,

Thanks for your review!

Things should be assigned to you automatically if you are the only person in a project. If this is not the case - please contact [email protected] and we will investigate and fix.

Regards,

• Reviewed on 14/6/2018
Sigrid D.
Business Strategist and Process Specialist
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 8/8/2020

"The Best Program Management Software Around"

Comments: I have used Freedcamp for years, relied on it for years, and now can't imagine doing business without it.

Pros: The ability to run multiple projects across diverse geographic locations and with different team members across multiple suppliers is critical to running any program of work. Freedcamp handles this very well and gives me back control over my very varied projects. With its excellent task visibility I can monitor the progress of my team members, enabling me to identify any road blocks and blast through them. It helps me know where I should be putting my focus, and improves my efficiency. It's why I run several different instances across my multiple businesses.

Cons: Some of the interfaces and navigation can be a bit clunky (i.e. not intuitive), but then I am stretching the program to its limits.

• Reviewed on 8/8/2020
Howard F.
Investment Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/7/2020

"Good for project management with many features"

Pros: There are many useful project manageme t features like gnatt charts, Kanban, wikis, file storage, etc. The benefit is that all these tools are on one tool, so it's easily accessible

Cons: The UX could be improved, it is a bit cluttered and took our team members some time to get used to the tool to use it effectively.

Jordan K.
Hardware Engineering Manager
Medical Devices, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/7/2020

"A potential software that is well suited for small team and room to scale up"

Comments: I think given the pricing and relatively powerful features of the free version, it is a great software to start on, further refinement would be great.

Pros: The software is fairly easily to be customized for different usage. One can set it up as general schedule keeping, project planning and tasks allocation. This are all complimented with user group, tag function and sub-task list.

Cons: Some features are locked and the ability to archived and customizing the notification can be rather confusing.

Charis S.
  • Reviewed on 26/9/2018

"Good for our team"

Comments: Freedcamp has been an excellent choice for working with a geographically spread-out team, both in terms of functionality and cost.
Our communications have improved, it is easy to see where a project is up to, and the integrations work well for us, in the main. Whenever I have had a (usually small) issue with anything in the system, Igor is always quick to respond and help get it sorted for me :).

Pros: Easy to use, good choice of task views and usage, customer service is excellent.
Several new features have been added since we started using Freedcamp, and each one has been a benefit and improvement.

Cons: Anything that I haven't liked, or have wanted to improve, is listened to and usually implemented in some form, or is being worked on. The limitations we have come across are mostly to do with 3rd party integrations and are not the fault of Freedcamp itself.

• Reviewed on 26/9/2018
Benny H.
  • Reviewed on 19/10/2018

"Easy to use system"

Comments: Really good software.
They have spent a long time finding an easy to use system like this.

Pros: As a growing company we we find that freedcamp is still the best solution for us.
It have a very easy to use interface and fit exactly our need as a developer team in software.
We have been using the software for a few years now as a free user and now converting to a better plan.

Cons: Not much to say.
Just upgraded som might have requirements later.
For now I am happy :)

• Reviewed on 19/10/2018
Nikiforos S.
Event Coordinator
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/6/2020

"Gets the job done easy for small and medium scale projects (for large projects can't tell)!"

Comments: I use it for running events for an NPO. Record, track and delegate work to the core team.

Pros: Easy and simple! Free is very rich in features

Cons: Some bugs while using it with safari are causing pages to need reloading.

• Reviewed on 18/6/2020
Drew A.
Designer / Developer
  • Reviewed on 26/10/2017

"Great platform. Keeps all of my projects organized and team members on the same page."

Pros: Everything. I like how all my tasks are in one spot, I can go back and look to see what design decisions were made weeks ago in the discussions module, AND the time tracker has made my life so much easier.

Cons: Well, on a few projects I've had to link in the client for notes and discussion and they haven't really taken to the platform or even tried to learn it. Which is kind of a pain and definitely their problem.

by Freedcamp on 27/10/2017

Hi Drew,

I would suggest to sign up for those clients and subscribe them to a minimum of discussions and try to teach them that they can reply to Freedcamp notifications to post a comment when you need their feedback. They can even attach files to those replies - they will be also parsed and attached to comments they emailed to Freedcamp.

Cheers,

• Reviewed on 26/10/2017
Cesar a S.
Analista
  • Reviewed on 5/4/2018

"A lot of options to manage your project"

Comments: The most complete free tool to manage and monitoring your projects.

Pros: It is very complete, because besides the normal tools of a free project tool like Gantt Chart and calendar, you can also manage milestones, discussions, a wiki tool, a wall and my favorite the issue tracker, that allows you to search and speficic task to modify or add information, I think that Freedcamp is one the best free option to work in projects.

Cons: You need people very engage to work with you in this kind of app, because it demands a lot of time and responsability, and if you do not work with the right people you have to know that the app will not do the work for you, because it is only a help.

by Freedcamp on 6/4/2018

Thanks for a very inspiring review!

• Reviewed on 5/4/2018
Benjamin M.
Marketing Manager
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 8/7/2019

"Yup, totally free"

Comments: I hate planning and am often forgetful but Freedcamp makes me look like a ninja and very organized haha best of all worlds.. PROTIP: get your interns to upload all your project plans and deadlines then you get all the reminders and keep up to date with all your projects. You're welcome

Pros: The price and functionality! They deserve a 5-star review, no joke. I use this for my personal to-do lists and project planning at work. Its got a free mobile app too.. IOS and Android. You can do a lot of stuff with it, add team members, get reminders etc.. all you need. Legit platform!

Cons: It's pretty diverse and I don't like using manuals so it took a few days to get the hang of all the features

• Reviewed on 8/7/2019
Marek J.
Sports, 2-10 Employees

"Freedcamp"

Pros: Well, it's just the best software to managing my team tasks (and I tried some). Good features, and even free version is awesome.

Cons: Well, I've got all I need, maybe chat features for team could be slightly more developed, though we do not use it too much anyway, so - really no cons for this software.

Cleber S.
Designer
  • Reviewed on 28/9/2015

"Awesome! But I could use an API"

Comments: Congrats for your product. I'm just starting to use it in the company i work at, but I can already tell it's going to make our processes a lot easier. Pros: Simplicity, Extensibility and ease-of-use. The tool is very easy to use: To'dos are quick to create and to work on (marking as in progress or complete); The tagging feature is very useful for assigning tasks. And the basic structure for projects can always be complemented by the modules. Cons:
Besides the Gantt chart and the percentage of progress in tasks (which already seem to be in freedcamp's list), here are some features I've been missing:

1. I would really like to have an API to create, assign and create To'dos as I'm trying to implement chatOps on my team. We at the company have a hubot running on skype, and an API would make it possible for our bot to poll information about tasks to complete and to simply mark completed tasks.
2. Time tracking at the company has always been kind of an issue, and I would like to see the time-tracking feature more seamlessly integrated to the to'dos. The time could be tracked from the moment someone marks a task as in progress to the moment it's completed. 3. Maybe I haven't searched in the right places, but I couldn't find a way to assign a task to a group of members. 4. More integration with Google Drive: A tab for editing sheets right from freedcamp would completetely fulfill our needs for project management. It's a feature we certainly would pay for! :) Anyway, the tool you guys developed is awesome! Thanks!

• Reviewed on 28/9/2015