15 years helping Irish businesses

About Gusto

Gusto is the all-in-one HR platform for growing businesses—one place to hire, pay, insure, and manage your hardworking team.

Learn more about Gusto

Pros:

It is super helpful especially for start ups when there might not be a designated HR person and the support staff is very helpful.

Cons:

Hard to set up, produces the wrong information, is hard to correct, little to no customer support.

Gusto ratings

4.6
4.4
4.5
4.5

8.6/10

Gusto has an overall rating of 4.6 out 5 stars based on 3,852 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Gusto before?

Filter reviews (3,852)

Ellenore
Ellenore
Administrative Assistant in US
Machinery, 51–200 Employees

Great tool for mid-size business

5.0 6 days ago New

Pros:

I like the ability to keep track of many employees and their pay information.

Cons:

Nothing that I’d change. Great product, no complaints!

Juli
Chief Accountant in US
Biotechnology, 11–50 Employees

Support Severely Lacking

4.0 2 months ago New

Comments: If you don't run into any problems, it's fine. However, I'd give their support a failing grade. I'll give them that it's better than Quickbooks Online payroll but that bar is underground it's so low. I was assured by the salesperson that sold me on Gusto that I would speak to a US-based real person if ever I should need support - that was a false assertion. I rarely, if ever, speak to a US-based person. Getting a hold of a person at all is not easy. There's no number to call. I don't have a contact person at the company. There's often no response on support tickets that I submit. It's inexcusable. Payroll affects people's lives and livelihoods. For a payroll company to expect their software to just work bug-free 100% of the time and thus never put resources into customer support is arrogant and short-sighted.

Pros:

In general, the payroll features are easy to set-up and use.

Cons:

I don't like that their payroll journal entries can only map to main accounts and not sub-accounts. I don't like that they don't seem to understand that Group Term Life Insurance premiums paid by the employer are taxable benefits to the employee, but no cash is exchanged between employer and employee. They set up the journal entries to reflect a cash payment to the employee and I haven't found a way to disable that. Finally, I have had repeated support issues, most notably, all of my employees that were employed during 2022 were notified of a "Draft" W-2c for the 2022 tax year uploaded to their employee accounts on 12/4/2023. Those "Draft" W-2cs for the prior year were erroneous. After spending hours upon hours reviewing each employee's payroll totals for the 2022 tax year and ensuring there was no such error that needed correcting, I reached out to Gusto through the only feature possible when you need to provide attachments which is an online form. I submitted one for every, single employee. I received a single reply email saying "not to worry" they would address it. I never received a follow-up until I insisted that they call me back. On follow-up, I was told that it was a "company-wide internal error." Furthermore, they couldn't remove the erroneous "Draft" 2022 W-2cs from my employees' accounts and they couldn't provide any official documentation to provide to my employees that the error was theirs and theirs alone. I demanded some sort of compensation at the very least to which they offered a 25% discount for 2 months which amounts to roughly $130 which barely covers 2 hours of my time spent dealing with the mess that they created. Furthermore, when my January bill came, they had not provided the discount. I'm assured that it will appear on my "next" bill but I'm not holding my breath. They should have reached out to their clients pre-emptively about this problem. They should have been responsive to my 16 support tickets about this problem. They should have offered multiple months of free service to compensate for this problem. They offered nothing voluntarily. Nothing. This is absolutely unacceptable handling of a "company-wide error." Oh, and I ran into a different tax compliance issue with city-wide occupational tax with which they should be intimately familiar since their headquarters are located in an adjacent city with an identical occupational tax and yet their own employees didn't seem to understand the nuance of this tax to which their own employees are subject. What kind of payroll company doesn't understand the payroll taxes in their own jurisdiction?

Jessica
Jessica
Owner in US
Mental Health Care, 2–10 Employees

Ok until its not...just say NO

1.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Their customer service is the absolute worst. Seriously, if you ever need help, it takes days to get a response and then you will get multiple people. If you call in, you will wait, and then the person you get won't know the answer and will pass you to the "correct department" who will then have multiple people "help" you via email. They will say they will call you; they won't. They don't care about their customers. They don't care about loyalty. They don't care if they overdraw your bank account multiple times. Its sad, their interface and feature set are nice, but the problems that come when any little thing goes wrong- its a nightmare- go read through other reviews, those who have had problems have all left their platform. I thought it was just "those people" as I had minimal issues for 2 years. Then I finally had the big issue. Had their customer service been responsive, accepted responsibility, or made any attempt to keep me as a customer, I might have stayed. They didn't.

Pros:

User interface for employees is ok. It looks nice.

Cons:

For those searching if Gusto is a good choice...its not...I thought it was...had a few hiccups, nothing major...and then they overdrew my account, cool fixed it quickly, then I switched our benefits to them. They messed up the withdrawl dates, blamed me and then [sensitive content hidden] clearly stated they made the change), and then took no responsibility for it. Worst than that, then they penalized me bc the change they made overdrew my bank account bc it pulled two months of benefit premiums and then wouldn't change my processing time back. After SEVEN different people "helping" and "responding" to my issue, I switched. While I like their feature set, its not worth the massive headache that comes when any little thing goes wrong- steer clear!!!

Kira
Executive Assistant in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Great Product at a Minimal Cost

Comments: Overall I am currently happy with Gusto as our payroll and onboarding solution. However if we continue to have issues with taxes, then we might change our mind in the future.

Pros:

I really like utilizing Gusto for payroll, onboarding, and tax management. The system is really easy to use and it streamlines processes very well. The payroll calculation is so easy and it only takes about 5 minutes to run payroll which is great.

Cons:

A few things I do not like about Gusto is the glitches, accountability, and response time from their support team. The system seems to glitch quite frequently which needs to be rebooted. We have had some issues with Gusto completing our taxes incorrectly or late which caused us to pay late fees and it was quite frustrating. Their response time on support tickets can be multiple days which is frustrating when it comes to urgent notices.

Wayne
Wayne
Sporting Goods, 11–50 Employees

Great Online HR platform

4.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Utilized a 3P administrator to establish & set-up a structure for our org. Need a long learning curve to understand.

Pros:

Online all the time when you need it…easy to search & reference simple items & documents used regularly.

Cons:

Wish there was more intuitive interface on tax compliance & other non regular tasks.

Ana
Bookkeeper in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Payroll Services

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: We process Payroll with Gusto, it's easy enough.

Pros:

It's easy to schedule and pay employees.

Cons:

I like everything about gusto services.

Rachel
Project Manager in US
Hospitality, 11–50 Employees

Payroll that does not disappoint

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

This system is not only easy to set up but the user end is incredibly friendly. The system tracks all of our payroll, PTO and tax information and all but runs itself. After having used a few other options this was by far the best value for our money.

Cons:

They used to offer a paycheck advance option that some of our employees took advantage of and this feature was removed.

Ashley
Accountant in US
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

Gusto makes payroll a breeze!

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

Using Gusto for payroll, benefits and insurance administration is so simple. It's easy right from the beginning. Their customer support is always super helpful and works hard to make sure they resolve any issues you may have.

Cons:

The only downside to Gusto is that they are limited to small companies. It's not necessary a bad thing. I just like it so much that I want to use it with all my clients regardless of their company size!

ANTHONY
Construction, 2–10 Employees

Gusto has everything you need to run a successful business.

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

I like all the differnt options Gusto has and the app is always updating with new and improved features

Cons:

At first the app has bugs but since then they have been fixed.

Cates
Director of Events in US
Building Materials, 2–10 Employees

Easy track your pay

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

The ease of use for employees to manage their own direct deposit without having to get management involved.

Cons:

So far I have not had any negative experience with Gusto

Karen
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Great Payroll Processing Platform for Small Businesses

Comments: Overall Gusto has been great for our company. We save time and money handling payroll in-house, as opposed to paying an outside service to do it for us. And we have peace of mind that Gusto is there to support us when/if we need it.

Pros:

Gusto has been a great resource for us to handle our own payroll processing & HR management in-house. It is super easy to set up and manage and has a really intuitive user interface. Onboarding new employees is a snap, time-tracking is simple to manage for both employees and managers, and running payroll only takes us a few minutes twice a month. Having employees able to manage their own banking info and paycheck splits and W4s has saved our HR dept a ton of time and headaches. And we love having an online library of company forms and documents we can distribute to employees quickly and easily. Also, their customer support is amazing. We are signed up for the Conceriege level service and have a dedicated team of customer service people who are knowledgable and friendly and responsive and have helped us out with innumerable questions.

Cons:

Moving from our previous payroll processor (ADP) to Gusto was easy, because we decided to do it at the beginning of a new fiscal year. The one issue we did experience was in setting up our company's Federal and State tax filing details. Gusto does not assist you with this, so we had to track down all of our company's employer account #s and UI tax rates and filing frequencies for the 3 different states where we have employees and manually enter it into Gusto. We ended up making a mistake on one state's filing frequency, which ended up costing us a bit of $$ in penalties. It would have been nice if Gusto had been able to assist us with this as part of the switch over from ADP. Also, Gusto does not offer benefits administration in our state (yet). Hopefully that will be coming soon, as it would be nice to handle payroll and benefits through one platform. And they could cut down on the number of "recommended" services from affiliated companies that pop up on the admin dashboard these days.

Andrew
Systems administrator in US
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

Best payroll company out there

Comments: Hands down the best and most cost-effective payroll bureau I have ever had the pleasure to do business with. I will not only recommend it to clients that don't have a payroll service but I will recommend it over any other payroll service there is essentially. It's way cheaper and way easier to use. I also have seen less mistakes then pay checks or ADP as I have worked with their payroll reports quite often when doing bookkeeping

Pros:

We used to do around payroll through a company called pay soft.. or ProPay maybe another name for it. The program was decent a little bit cumbersome and the check stock was extremely expensive. They did their own payroll as a bureau. As a result of having their own proprietary software built they also sold it which was overpriced and in the long run didn't make us money. Just being a recommendation agency essentially and controlling if you ever clients payroll through gusto it's made us more money and they offer way more than ADP or paychecks ever has offered us.

Cons:

There's not much I don't like about this software besides maybe the fact that it isn't really a software that you download it's an internet interface so if you're internet somehow becomes unreachable or it's down you can't really print out checks with proper taxes withheld. This is An occurrence few and far between and can always be advanced and then paid back once you can access it again. A desktop GUI that just calls in the website would be a handy tool for owners and accountants to be able to take more effort into their own hands on payroll

Milan
CPA, Financial Advisor in US

Vimlan Tax Services LLC

Comments: Overall, 7 out of 10, could be better. It's better than most, but it needs to be better.

Pros:

-It's web based -one login for staff for access to all clients. -MFA ability for each login -ability to control which clietns assigned to which login. - like other payroll engines, it does automatic paymetns (immediately) and automatic filings - multiple reports available, quarterly/monthly/yearly, etc. - tracks PTO, SIck, and auto generates if needed, - great integration with Tsheets for time clock

Cons:

There is no ONE consolidated report for all clients on a custom period. EG, if I wanted a 1st quarter payroll report, with selected clients on each row of the report, and the columns having the headings for say, different data points like "gross payroll, net pay, 401K deferred, 401K roth, IL state tax paid, 941 done?" then that style of report is ONLY available if you pull that report down client by client, NOT for all clients or selected clients as a consolidated report. Email alerts are not there for specific things, like if a client exceeds a payrol amount or if a large net reimbursement check is done. There is NO mobile app. There is NO standard custom 401K year end "Annual census" report which ties in all the data points for a 5500 filing. Gusto also competes with providers for health insurance and 401K. Financial advisors like me only want Gusto to do the payroll part, not compete with us on the benefits part.

Corey
General Manager in US
Hospitality, 2–10 Employees

Payroll done simple enough for ANY staff member.

Comments: Gusto is extremely helpful and efficient. My team enjoys the "social media" aspect of it, where new hires are introduced to the team before they even begin working. It goes a long way towards building a team. I would highly recommend Gusto to any small business trying to manage their staff. Onboarding is a breeze and gets the employees involved in their own financial matters. Even the least tech savvy person should be easily capable of following the necessary steps to be hired, paid, etc.

Pros:

Employees are able to punch in and out using anything with an internet connection. Additionally, you can turn on Geolocation so that you can ensure the employee is actually on-site when they punch in & out. Best yet, they can actually leave notes in regards to what tasks were completed for the day. It's very helpful to have this built-in tracking feature for accountability with my very small staff.

Cons:

Unfortunately, there is no effective scheduling tool (at least in my opinion), which forces me to go to another software provider for employee scheduling. Ideally, both scheduling and payroll could be done through the same web based software. This would also make it easier to compare scheduled vs. actually worked hours.

Albert
HR Manager in Malta
Arts & Crafts, 11–50 Employees

The Payroll Software for any Business Size

Comments: The experience of our business using Gusto has been very positive and we recommend other businesses to implement this software if they are facing issues relating to payroll as well as other HR services. The software is very user friendly and no great technical knowledge is required.

Pros:

This software has been of great importance for our business in managing payroll as well as other HR services. We implemented this software as we hit 9 employees as we were having issues relating to payroll receiving several complaints from our employees. The complaints have reduced drastically as soon as we implemented Gusto, which hence resulted in time as well as cost savings as well as more satisfied employees.

Cons:

There can be some improvements made to leave management as sometimes it is difficult to navigate through the software especially when the leave is of less than a day.

Managing Partner in US
Oil & Energy, 11–50 Employees

Customer service leaves you lacking

Comments: I would have gave them a 5 star rating a year ago, but their customer service as dropped to bottom tier in the past 12 months. The software is good but if you need help it is now next to impossible to get to help. I have discussed this with them on numerous occasions and it has only gotten worse. The problem is no matter how good the software is - if you need help with payroll, you need the help now. If you are skilled in all things payroll you should be ok.

Pros:

It is easy to use and easy to implement. The self service reporting is OK and they are good at state filings.

Cons:

If you have any sort of question or problem you will be waiting a good bit to find someone who can help you

Bryan
Vice President, Finance in US
Executive Office, 51–200 Employees

Terrible customer service, average system, Predatory Lender

Comments: The world has caught up to Gusto. It is just a run of the mill self-service payroll firm. Comparing any self-service firm to a full-service firm, the self-service firm will win on cost, though that is about it. In addition to losing on Customer Service, the constant annoying sales pitches and calls regarding HR benefits as well as the firm charging for simple improvements, such as adding paid-for time tracking is a severe detriment. The fact that it has now morphed into a Payday Lend is the last straw for me. I do not trust Gusto with my firm's or employee's data and am extremely happy that I never moved any healthcare or other benefit systems to their control. I have been with the firm since our beginning, but will be moving on to another system as soon as possible.

Pros:

This is one of the many common low-cost self-service payroll solutions. It allows you to pay your Employees and Contractors and handles virtually all of the taxes and processing of payments to the taxing authorities. The interface is on par with the many other UX/UI's in the industry. As is industry standard, Employees are emailed all end of year documents automatically. The company also offers access to two-day payroll processing.

Cons:

Customer Service is terrible - an absolute nightmare. When mistakes are made by Gusto, they are hard, if not impossible to fix and/or get them to admit to. The firm has attempted (and mostly failed to my knowledge) to enter the higher margin HR platform and benefits fold. The firm has also just begun predatory lending at rates advertised as 1% which are actually as high as 45.63% (per their own fine print). The Customer Service in this area (from my limited exposure) provides misleading at best and false at worst information. This used to be a great firm, but there was an initial turning point where it began to focus more on marketing than the system, which then led to the constant sales calls for HR and other insurance services, which has led now, to Payday Lending. There had been an Intuit integration issue that seems to have finally been solved. Additionally, the firm has the same problem with missed payments and 941 misfilings that other full-service platforms have, however the customer service is severely lacking and resolutions take forever. The platform also can not handle an employee working in two states (more common in the North East). The cost for paying contractors is too high which limits the usefulness of the system overall - forcing a company to keep Employee Payroll, Contractor Payments, and expense reimbursements on separate systems. I have also received tax filings from another firm as their own CSR system combined two threads and had to speak to the a

Bryan
Director Of Operations in US
Education Management, 11–50 Employees

Love and Hate with Gusto

Comments: If all you are doing is simple payroll processing then I think this is a good option for you. If you have many employees and you offer benefits good luck. Gusto has the worst customer service I would say in the industry. It is extremely hard to get help from their customer service. It seems like the thought and belief is pass the buck to someone else.

Pros:

This software is easy to setup and has basic things for businesses. Gusto has a nice user website site that you can do many things very quickly. If you are looking for simple reports and processing than this is good.

Cons:

The Absolute worst customer service! If you ever need help with your payroll especially benefits administration good luck getting help. Gusto completely messed up our health insurance plans and signed up our employees with health plans that are not even offered in our state. It took 5 months and threats from our lawyers before they would finally respond from someone that knew what they were doing.

Jacquie
Program Manager in US
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Absolutely Love this Full Feature Easy to Use Product!

Comments: If I were to leave this world today, ANYONE could jump onto Gusto and fall right into step. That is how easy this program is.

Pros:

I cannot say enough about how much our company loves this product. If any company tries to sell us a product that claims to do the same things, we turn them down flat! So many companies are "Ala Cart". Not Gusto. We have been using Gusto since 2017 and hope that we can always use them. This is very user friendly, allows self-onboarding by the employee, allows time tracking for hourly employees, time tracking by project, handles your benefit plans, open enrollment, workers compensation insurance payments, payroll, taxes, new employee reports, tax reporting, W-2's, 1099's, payment of contractors both domestic and international (in November 2023, you will be able to pay international employees). Nothing is complicated in any way shape or form. Gusto is so stress free and works with many other programs. We use their partner EasyLlama for training (yes, that is a minimal fee payable to EasyLlama) and that is amazing. I can't say enough about how wonderful this is. If I ask the owners if they want to add a benefit, their first questions is always, "do they work with Gusto"?

Cons:

In 8+ years, I have not found a single negative thing with Gusto, even through COVID, they seemed to not miss a beat with their customer service.

Alex
Owner in US
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Gusto - Payroll Simplified For A Busy Small Business

Comments: Overall, Gusto is a great software. It has added some automation into our payroll and business. It gives me the peace of mind that my employees are being paid on time, and that taxes and insurance are being handled correctly. The added PTO features, and the ability to add retirement, and healthcare in the same platform is amazing as well.

Pros:

We chose to move to Gusto when we looked to simplify and streamline our payroll. As a small business owner juggling payroll and all the other tasks associated with running a business, PTO management, HR management etc., was becoming a big time sink and we did some research and came across Gusto. Moving to Gusto simplified and automated many of those above tasks. It made it easier to track employee time off requests, made it dead simple and automated getting employees to fill out forms, and sign HR documents. And handling payroll, taxes, and such was so much easier after moving to Gusto. Once payroll was set up and configured, it runs on Autopilot. This allows me to know that payroll is being done every 2 weeks and that I have nothing to worry about. We hire a new employee and the employee is automatically added to the system and I know that everything is done correctly, including the workmen's comp insurance, etc. Overall, Gusto allows me to be more efficient with time and ensure everything is being taken care of.

Cons:

The hardest part for us and the least liked feature in Gusto is trying to set up net-zero paychecks for me and my partner. There was no easy way to set up a paycheck to go completely to taxes. It required some calculations and messing with withholding amounts. Would be nice if there was an easier way to implement net-zero paychecks.

Andrea
Physician in US
Medical Practice, 2–10 Employees

Payroll has become a breeze!

Comments: Overall, I would recommend Gusto since it is very easy to use and navigate, and they literally handle all aspects of payroll. In the last 5 years of using their service, I have had no problems submitting their forms to my accoutant, he is pleased with the access to their services as well!

Pros:

I am not an accountant, nor did I take any business or accounting classes in college. Payroll was always a chore and a daunting task. Gusto has taken over all those aspects and provided an online way to check in on employees info/w2's, tax info at a glance, and even sends reminders when employees are due to be paid, who has been paid and who has not etc, it has made payroll so fun!

Cons:

The customer service is great, but the response time on answers is longer than desired. I am used to dealing with online companies that respond to businesses right away, or even just answer one part of the problem and let me know they will get back to me on the rest of the problem with more in depth solutions.

Tim
President in US
Wholesale, 2–10 Employees

Good software not great.

Comments: Although some issues are frustrating the software works better than QuickBooks payroll. The cost also offsets some of the issues.

Pros:

Most functions are easy to use. Some are more difficult and although they may offer some features, they can be difficult to find.

Cons:

Customer support. I think when you pay for software you should have a phone number you can reach out to for technical support. I personally do not like paying for a service where I have to send a message and wait for a call back. This makes it more difficult when you are processing something time sensitive, such as payroll, and have to stop what you are doing only to hope you have time to go back to it when they finally call you. Employees have also complained about customer service regarding their accounts.

Josh
COO in US
Philanthropy, 11–50 Employees

Basic and broken

Pros:

It’s pretty and does the absolute basics without issue. Honestly all anyone likes about Gusto is “it’s pretty” cause it’s so much worse than competitors in every single other way.

Cons:

Gusto is like a wedding planner who has 10 Instagramable wedding packages you can select from. If you want something pretty and basic with no customizations, you’ll love her. The problem comes when you want to have more bridesmaids than usual, to choose a wedding venue she’s never worked with, book a caterer a week earlier than she typically does, or incorporate religious traditions she’s unfamiliar with. Unfortunately, she totally freaks out and has NO IDEA how to handle them or who to even ask for help. She’ll try, but turn it into such a mess you’ll wish you never started working with her at all. Gusto is this wedding planner. It’s “pretty” and does the very simple things without issue, but there can’t be too many businesses who actually care about all aspects of HR that don’t have regret somewhere down the line. After all, most people want to do something that’s even slightly not cookie cutter, and Gusto breaks horribly, especially including it’s customer service.

Mathew
Mathew
Area Manager - Africa in Kenya
Financial Services, 10,000+ Employees

The People Platform, Gusto!

Pros:

Gusto is the perfect tool for payroll and deductions, talk of error free tool, easy to use and very user friendly interface, I am forever grateful for coming across Gusto, literraly saved my life. Its fisrt and very easy to figure out how it works. The new hire paperwork is all taken care of by Gusto. Everything is available in one location, how cool is that! The selfservice aspect just blows my mind, we rarely need to get customer service involved. Also when we do need them wich is not often they are always ready to assist, very knowlegeable and into details, we are always left contented and always feel appreciated. Sometimes we have contractors in our company and we use Gusto to pay them, pay taxes and also provide employees benefits like paid overtime etc. The software is fairly priced, even startup companies can afford. Reporting is easy with Gusto, who doesnt like that, we can all agree reporting is usually boring but with Gusto, reporting is a breeze

Cons:

No dislikes, I honestly love it from deep down my heart, my refferals are happy too. Well done Team Gusto

Michelle
Michelle
Accountant in US

Gusto is a Great Payroll Option

Comments: My overall experience with Gusto has been very positive and they are a company who wants to support their customers. I have faith that they will sort out the customer service issues and that they are just a result of growing pains.

Pros:

We have been with Gusto for a long time now and find it to be easy and intuitive to use. Employees are able to log in and access their information. Gusto is constantly adding new features and now allows for time tracking by project which is a feature offered by several of their competitors. It is possible to assign managers to approve employee hours without making them a full admin with access to salary info.

Cons:

It is not possible to assign managers to contractors to approve hours which would be helpful. Also, they are experiencing severe growing pains. In the beginning, Gusto support was excellent, however, the response time has gone way up in recent months. They are currently taking 2-3 weeks to respond to many support questions. This is very frustrating and I have clients who have incurred state tax penalties while waiting on Gusto to reply. Their reps are not as knowledgeable as they were earlier either, probably due to having to increase their team so quickly.