SimplePractice Reviews

• Overall
    4.6 /5
    4.4 /5
    4.5 /5

About SimplePractice

Make the free switch to SimplePractice today and join over 90,000 customers running thriving health & wellness businesses

Learn more about SimplePractice

Showing 2,439 reviews

Amanda G.
Program Director
Hospital & Health Care, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 7/8/2019

"Simple Practice saved me!"

Comments: Truly a lifesaver. I feel like I am not a business person, but simple practice simplifies so many aspects of this.

Pros: I love all of the things that the developers decided to incorporate in this platform. You can upload your business documents, any documents relevant to your client records and so much more. I have created questionnaires that are specific to my practice so that I can gather data upfront and this prevents me from missing out on money. I love the integration for scheduling appointments, telehealth and billing and invoicing. If you want to streamline your practice, this is for you.

Cons: Clients cannot pay partial balances in their client portal yet, those payments have to be taken in the office.

by SimplePractice on 13/8/2019

Amanda, thanks for your positive review. We're proud to give you the back office you need to run a professional practice. Please don't hesitate to reach out if there's any additional feedback you have. - Gillian from SimplePractice

• Reviewed on 7/8/2019
Joy P.
Owner, Therapist
  • Reviewed on 18/5/2021

"Comprehensive Software for my Solo Practice"

Comments: I tried a number of different software platforms, and SimplePractice was the most comprehensive and easy to use.

Pros: The Calendar is easy to use and the Client Portal is very convenient for clients to complete paperwork.

Cons: The Video Telehealth option did not include key features and was expensive and nagivation of creating forms was difficult

• Reviewed on 18/5/2021
Hilary B.
Psychologist
  • Reviewed on 1/2/2021

"Robust for most needs but an irritating oversight for telehealth"

Pros: This software is richly featured. I've appreciated the ability to create very sophisticated custom online intake forms, and and the autopay enrollment for automated batch credit card billings. There is a lot of video how-to documentation and customer support is timely and attentive if not always able to resolve issues.

Cons: Simple Practice has its own add-on telehealth option but makes it difficult to appear professional to clients if you are using another technology for your virtual sessions. The first office location you enter is what is displayed both on the customer portal and on superbills, with no way to separate the two. In my case this means the Post Office hosting my PO Box is displayed as my practice location on the portal with an associated map. Users of SP's telehealth option can input a separate billing address.

• Reviewed on 1/2/2021
Jessica P.
Speech-language pathologist
  • Reviewed on 24/10/2019

"Great Product for the Price"

Comments: SimplePractice allows me to operate my private speech therapy practice efficiently, and does not cost an arm and a leg!! I highly recommend this product.

Pros: I pay much less for this software than for a similar product I used previously. The software is user friendly, and customer support personnel respond quickly when I have a question.

Cons: There are some limitations. For example, clients can't easily upload documents to the portal, creating templates for documentation is tedious, etc.

• Reviewed on 24/10/2019
Nicolais C.
Owner/Clinician
  • Reviewed on 1/11/2019

"Great software - could use some simple features"

Comments: Good. Some key features that I wish were present with billing graphics and information, which I mentioned in the cons section. If these upgrades/changes could be made, I would rate SimplePractice as excellent.

Pros: I love the editable notes/forms and the online access! Client portal is also more streamlined and user friendly compared to competitors. Reports are nice and helpful for the most part. Free text and voice are nice (however you pay the difference with the higher cost of claim submission compared to competitors).

Cons: The billing tabs are difficult to understand as they don’t seem to be graphically easy to understand where each invoice is being applied. Looking quickly at the billing tab, it looks as if I have twice as many invoices than I actually need and some invoices, invoice for a zero balance (or even before an insurance payment is made). This makes the billing harder to understand than some of SimplePractice’s top competitors. Also, I wish the reports would show overall totals of figures (I.e. insurance payments owed, client balances owed, etc.). These features allow me to look quickly at client balances and billing and get an idea of where billing sits very quickly, and again, is a feature with competitors. Being a one man office right now, theses features save valuable time and seem like easy fixes to the system. I also wish Simple Practice had phone support - just for the fact that time is valuable and I don’t want to wait to resolve an question.

• Reviewed on 1/11/2019
Jennifer W.
Private Practice Psychotherapist
  • Reviewed on 23/10/2019

"Satisfied with Current Services and Optimistic about Future Improvements"

Comments: The primary reason I am using Simple Practice is for the insurance billing capabilities so I can make my life easier and not hire a biller.

Pros: I love the overnight billing with auto-pay and the entirely digital intake and consent forms.

Cons: I have encountered issues when trying to create insurance claims. Additionally, it is a bit pricey considering the fact that many of the offered services can be achieved through GSuite for $6 a month for HIPAA protected documentation and intake forms, and through Square Appointments (a service that comes free when Square is utilized for fee collection).

• Reviewed on 23/10/2019
Geoff G.
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
Hospital & Health Care, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/8/2019

"Seamless transition, works exactly as described"

Pros: - Seamless transition from prior electronic medical record (EMR) to SimplePractice. Just great.
- Everything works, and loads fast
- UI is clear, intuitive
- Features work really well, including the videoconferencing add-on. Just really great!
Bottom line: It works exactly as described, was easy to set up, and really is a joy to use. Seriously.

Cons: I have not found something I didn’t like yet. I have been using it for a few days since I set it up this week, and everything is working really well! No problems.

by SimplePractice on 4/9/2019

Geoff, welcome to the SimplePractice Community. We're glad that your transition to SimplePractice was seamless, and that you enjoy using our all-in-one practice management platform. - Gillian from SimplePractice

• Reviewed on 26/8/2019
Casey C.
LPC
  • Reviewed on 31/7/2019

"Overall great software that could use a few improvements"

Comments: Overall, I have been happy with Simple Practice. I wanted a place I could handle paperwork, notes, billing, scheduling, and secure video and messaging--this has got it all. It's priced fairly, and so far has been more consistent than more expensive competitors. The support staff is helpful and quick to respond, but I would like to see clients have direct support access so that I am not having to be a middle person when they have technical issues. (I was told they try to limit client contact for privacy reasons, but with a BAA and informed consent in place, I don't see how privacy would be an issue.) The biggest change I would like to see is for clients to be able to upload and send documents. This is something I'd imagine multiple users would appreciate as many of us are offering telehealth and need to have a copy of each client's ID. Also, it would be more convenient for providers if clients could access their demographics so that the provider is not responsible for making changes whenever they'd like to opt in/out of text or email alerts. Finally, I'd like to see the consent documents moved out of the client portal and with the other forms so they are more easily accessible for updating.

Pros: Mostly user-friendly, responsive and helpful customer support, customizable templates, clear video, easy client onboarding and billing, great value for the price

Cons: Placement of consent documents is awkward and not intuitive. I would like the client to be able to send documents to me, access tech support, and change their demographic info and opt in/out choices.

by SimplePractice on 12/8/2019

Hi Casey, thanks for your positive review, and for calling SimplePractice a great value for the price. We're proud to provide an excellent product at a great value to private practices everywhere. Welcome to our community. - Gillian from SimplePractice

• Reviewed on 31/7/2019
Meredith M.
Psychologist
  • Reviewed on 7/11/2019

"I wish Simple Practice did more, was easier to use, and the customer service was better"

Comments: Barely satisfied. I ran out of room in the Con's box.

Pros: As a working mom of two young children, I was looking for something to save me some time. Once I figured it out on my own (which took too long in my opinion because of unhelpful video tutorials and unhelpful customer service), it now has saved me some time. I like how easy it is to chart progress notes. It has saved time and desktop space. Once I figured out how to submit claims, I appreciated not having to manually enter the information myself every time I have submitted in the past. These were two main reasons I wanted to switch.

Cons: I wish it could do more and was easier to use. Here are some features that would be great additions to Simple Practice: - Have the ability to be Excel where I can track office expenses (i.e., office supplies, tax deductions)
- You MUST make customer service easier to get ahold of and more knowledgeable. Email back-and-forth communication is a frustrating customer service option.
- Have your customer service people be more professional. When I video-ed for my free 30-minute video at the beginning of using the software, the person was late, not professionally dressed, and looked like they were at a beach house. I was also frustrated that the employee did not know more than I did. They had to check-in with people and then get back to me. I knew much more about insurance and how it worked than the person I spoke to.
- I dislike the tutorial videos - they were not very helpful and felt like a waste of time.
- In the Coverage Report, I would greatly benefit from being able to get the SPECIFIC benefit information for Mental Health services. This is often different from the patient's medical benefits (different copays, coinsurances)
- Have it easier to be able to pick the insurance carrier from the insurance list - it is currently very confusing
- I am certain I am not getting the most out of the software but am frustrated because I don't know how to get more out of it. I don't feel that I can count on Simple Practice team members to help me either.

• Reviewed on 7/11/2019
Nina G.
Clinician/Owner
  • Reviewed on 24/1/2020

"Will be recommending at my next seminar"

Comments: So far, it has been a good experience as we are adjusting to this software.

Pros: I truly appreciate the ease of use in managing client information. This EHR is comprehensive, user friendly, and does everything needed for a private practice. I wish I had started with this EHR.

Cons: The Wiley Treatment planner is not as comprehensive as it is in TherapyCharts for some reason. It also does not code exactly as stated as the DSM-V, but I'm sure we will get used to it and adjust.

• Reviewed on 24/1/2020
Sheila M.
  • Reviewed on 25/8/2019

"Best Purchase"

Comments: Overall I am finding using simple practice to be very helpful and useful and has been easily accessible for my client's as well. It is easy and convenient to use.

Pros: I like how easy and convenient it is to use the software on any laptop and being able to have access to it on a smartphone device. I like that you are able to add your own documents for client use and/or viewing and not required to only use the templates provided. I enjoy having access to several assessment screening tools handy. Creating notes and treatment plans are very simple. I am transitioning from paper charts to electronic EHR and the switchover seemed to be pretty simple and not too time consuming. At the beginning of familiarizing myself with Simple Practice I had to contact customer support a couple times and the response time was a quick turnaround and they were able to guide me in taking the steps to resolve the issues I needed help with. Using the community support has several topics that are useful and helpful.

Cons: I dislike that there are no fillable forms available currently for clients to fill out. I am hoping in the future there will be access to fillable forms. The calendar view would be nice to have the option to mark only showing by the hour when adding new appointments in instead of breaking down or scrolling through minute by minute.

by SimplePractice on 27/8/2019

Sheila, thanks for your positive review. We're glad that you're enjoying SimplePractice so far. Did you know that we have a library of fillable forms for your clients to fill out during the intake process in our Template Library? If you need assistance getting your Client Portal set up so you can send clients forms to fill out and eSign, don't hesitate to reach out - we're here to help. - Gillian from SimplePractice

• Reviewed on 25/8/2019
Robin F.
LCMHCS
  • Reviewed on 16/6/2020

"Simple practice honest review"

Comments: Overall my experience with SimplePractice has been positive and I would recommend it over other electronic health records. In doing my research and talking with others, simple practice stood out as the most user-friendly and clinically professional platform.

Pros: As a former pen and paper therapist, getting started with SimplePractice was a bit tedious, But that would have been the case with any electronic record. Once that process was complete using it daily with current and new clients has helped me run a more professional and organized practice. It is easy to use and has a lot of helpful features like forms, templates and assessments.

Cons: There may be a way to do group sessions when you upgrade to the platform for Telehealth but I have not figured this out yet. I would like to be able to do a group meeting with multiple colleagues or supervisees.

• Reviewed on 16/6/2020
Jesse B.
LAC
  • Reviewed on 28/8/2019

"Review"

Comments: I like the layout and ease of use for billing and clinical stuff. The overall is good and have already recommended to others just today.

Pros: It was easy to get started. It was pretty user friendly. The telehealth option is awesome and easy to use. Being able to edit templates is great. Scheduling has diagnosis (wrong language for my industry) CPS codes and note attached all in one place which is convenient.

Cons: It does not have an option to write one group note for all clients in that group with an option to edit all in one place and then sign and send to each individual chart. Wrong language on substance use diagnosis code wording. It is whatever substance use then disorder mild moderate or severe. Example F10.20 alcohol use disorder severe. Not alcohol dependence. The treatment planner was not editable.

by SimplePractice on 4/9/2019

Jesse, thank you for your comprehensive review. SimplePractice uses the language and descriptions for diagnosis codes according to the ICD-10. If you ever have questions about SimplePractice, please don't hesitate to reach out to our Success team - we're here to help. Thanks for recommending SimplePractice to your colleagues! - Gillian from SimplePractice

• Reviewed on 28/8/2019
Cheryl C.
Owner - LMHC
  • Reviewed on 22/7/2019

"So happy I switched!"

Comments: Easy to use. There is a video for just about everything. So, far I haven't come across anything that bothers me. I made the switch within 10 days of "trying"

Pros: Easy-to-do notes. Reminders. Built-in tx planning. Client portal.

Cons: The layout of the clients, and I haven't explored the billing yet, but once I do I might have more feedback. I'm using my cash rates as default which is different from my contracted rates, so I am interested to see what happens with the difference. I also have not yet used the reports function which is something I use all the time in my old EHR.

by SimplePractice on 24/7/2019

Cheryl, thanks for your glowing review! We're glad you switched to SimplePractice - welcome to our Community. - Gillian from SimplePractice

• Reviewed on 22/7/2019
Susie M.
Clinical Psychologist
  • Reviewed on 5/11/2019

"All-in-One"

Comments: So far, so good! I'm excited to find the time to learn how all of this works and can be integrated into my practice.

Pros: I just became a paid subscriber today and so far the customer support is fabulous! I have asked several questions while I'm navigating this platform and they are there within a minute to offer support! I think this will be helpful in minimizing my paper and utilizing electronic everything! Love that! I decided to switch to this because I need to learn to start billing on behalf of my patients.

Cons: So far, it's just a lot to learn at once. I will keep my other platform through the end of this year until I have mastered this one...

• Reviewed on 5/11/2019
Jean C.
Sole Practitioner
  • Reviewed on 24/7/2019

"Intuitive"

Pros: This software is so easy to navigate and figure out. You can easily undo any "mistake," so trying different selections is not scary. The tutorials are easy to follow and the support service emails are timely. I tried a different well-rated software, but it was too much for just one practitioner. The price on this software can't be beat. It would have cost me 3 times as much on other software. There is also a lot that comes with the price, unlike the others that have a basic low price and then nickel and dime you for each additional service.

Cons: I haven't billed insurance with it yet, so I can't speak to that. Other than that, I am really pleased with what I've been using so far.

by SimplePractice on 26/7/2019

Jean, thanks for your glowing review. It's great to see that you're pleased with your experience with SimplePractice so far. - Gillian from SimplePractice

• Reviewed on 24/7/2019
Lauren settle, C.
Mental Health Counselor
  • Reviewed on 24/9/2018

"Simple Practice"

Comments: I am happy I made the switch to Simple Practice!

Pros: I really like that it's all-inclusive. Once you get the hang of how the system works it seems as if it really does have all you need in one place.
I also like that you can send automatic reminders, run credit cards automatically, etc. I believe this will continue to save me lots of time in the long-run. Which is what I love the most about it! That allows me to spend more time with my kiddo once I am home instead of worrying about doing admin stuff.

Cons: 1. As a potential customer, I had multiple questions and it was really hard to find how to get in touch with someone. It frustrated me to the point where I almost just didn't sign up. After I signed up though they've seemed really willing to help if you had questions.
2. There are a few things I don't love - like as I've scheduled a telehealth client it doesn't show up on the calendar as my in-person sessions do. I also wish the calendar was a little more flexible with booking times, rather than choosing on the hour or half hour. I haven't allowed clients to book online yet themselves because I can have more flexibility when I do it in person.
3. I'd love to see if include a feature for bookkeeping, rather than having to also purchase something like QuickBooks.

by SimplePractice on 30/10/2018

Lauren, it's great to see your positive review. We're glad that SimplePractice is saving you time that you can then spend with your family. Did you know you can reach us any time through the red Help bubble in your account? If you're still having trouble seeing your Telehealth appointments on the calendar, try checking the drop-down Office Location menu at the top of the calendar to ensure you're viewing all locations. We're here to help - please don't hesitate to reach out if we can assist with anything at all.

• Reviewed on 24/9/2018
Anyaliese H.
Mental Health Care
  • Reviewed on 22/7/2018

"Simple Practice has been great in helping me to start up my private practice!"

Comments: Everything I need to jump start my private practice! I am able to communicate with my patients via the patient portal without difficulty. All documents can be sent and received via the portal, which is amazing! The software is so easy to use and the updates with the software, teaching videos, etc. are excellent tools!

Pros: It has everything that I need to start my practice. I love it's simple use quality and the fact that I am able to have potential new patients to schedule from my website with booking widget and have existing patients receive all necessary documents via the patient portal. I also love that I can securely communicate with patients via the secure messaging system!

Cons: This software would be absolutely perfect if we could better edit (choose font, bold, italicize, etc.) practice documents such as policies and note templates, including the ability to have our business logo show up on these documents as well (because they show up on some documents such as therapy notes and some bills). The ability to e-prescribe and to receive referrals and send referrals to other health professionals would be the absolute best and Simple Practice would have a life long customer in me!

by SimplePractice on 25/7/2018

Anyaliese, we're so happy to hear that starting up your private practice with SimplePractice as your practice management platform has been a good experience! It's great that SimplePractice has everything you needed to jumpstart your private practice. Welcome to our Community and thank you for your feedback - you can always post ideas and suggestions on our Community Forum at community.simplepractice.com. Thanks for choosing SimplePractice!

• Reviewed on 22/7/2018
Brittany S.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/1/2021

"Great software for Therapy practice management!"

Comments: I have used other software previously for practice management, and SimplePractice is truly the best I have used. It streamlines the work I have to do for client management and is easily accessible and user friendly for clients!

Pros: I love how easy it is to take care of everything I need to regarding client on boarding. I am a contractor for a larger organization and began using SimplePractice as part of their team when I started almost two years ago. SimplePractice makes it easy to upload your own disclosures and policies and securely send them to your clients to electronically sign and store in their portals. I am able to easily sync my SP calendar to my Google Calendar and clients can request appointments through the portal. SimplePractice has really made everything from paperwork and on boarding, to clinical documentation a breeze.

Cons: The one feature I have been having trouble with is regarding the recent update adding Couple profiles. While this is a needed and great feature, adding payment information has been difficult if the clients previously had individual profiles. Other than this, there isn't really anything I would change about SimplePractice.

• Reviewed on 21/1/2021
Kelli O.
Psychotherapist
  • Reviewed on 3/10/2019

"New User Experience"

Comments: overall, I like using SimplePractice.

Pros: I have been using Simple Practice for the last month as I have started my private practice. I have liked how easy it has been to setup and manage my appointments. I really like that it syncs with my Google Calendar so that I can keep an eye on my entire schedule for the day. I also really like the templates for notes and treatment plans, and I totally appreciate the daily reminders and review emails. They are super helpful for me to be able to keep track of what needs to be done. I am looking forward to utilizing the insurance features soon too!

Cons: I wish that the video conferencing was included in the professional price and not extra. That would be great. I also would like to see the ability to create the CMS 1500 with whatever information I have on the patient and not only if I have their insurance info because right now I have only self-pay and some like to get reimbursed through their insurance plan.

• Reviewed on 3/10/2019
Art W.
clinical social worker
  • Reviewed on 30/4/2018

"Responsive support team, fairly complete and intuitive interface"

Comments: Relatively easy calendar and billing features.
Very responsive customer service.

Pros: The app is fairly simple to learn and the support team is very good at quickly and patiently answering questions.
SimplePractice makes it very easy to create CMS1500 forms for invoicing insurers.
Adding sessions to the calendar and setting up a client are both pretty easy to do.

Cons: There are certain pieces of the functionality that take more clicks than seem necessary or that are simply complicated. For example, you apparently have to create invoices in order for the amounts due for sessions and the amounts paid to be reconciled. This seems awkward, since I don't need or want invoices for every client, or I might want an invoice only once in every month or two.
Similarly, if you create an event (a therapy session) on the calendar, you have to save it and reopen it in order to add a payment. This adds an extra step.
I like the idea of storing progress notes online, but haven't figured out how to do that efficiently because I usually start notes during the session and complete at the end of the day. Using a computer or tablet during a session seems awkward, even disrespectful.
The online help and instructions don't seem to cover some basic issues, like how to deal with a changed insurance plan.

by SimplePractice on 1/5/2018

Hi Art, we're so glad to hear that you like SimplePractice and thank you for the kind words about our Support team! We work hard every day to help over 20,000+ amazing customers who use SimplePractice. If you'd ever like to touch base 1-on-1 with a Product Specialist about how to improve the invoicing process in your account, please don't hesitate to reach out - you know where to find us!

• Reviewed on 30/4/2018
Catherine F.
Hospital & Health Care, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 18/12/2019

"Intimidating at first but worth the effort"

Comments: Simple Practice is simplifying my onboarding process significantly by being able to create and send out intake paperwork electronically.

Pros: I highly enjoy being able to customize the informed consent forms and send them to clients to fill out electronically. It significantly simplifies the onboarding process. I also appreciate being able to send the same documents to multiple different people/email addresses for the same client.

Cons: The layout is not very intuitive at first. It takes some learning to figure out where everything is laid out.

• Reviewed on 18/12/2019
Jamie M.
Registered Dietitian
  • Reviewed on 14/11/2018

"So happy I discovered Simple Practice!"

Comments: My overall experience using Simple Practice has been educational and hopeful that I am on my way to being able to run a small business seeing private clients on my own! As a Registered Dietitian, it's clear that this company is paying full attention to the need of nutrition professionals moving into private practice and bridging the knowledge and practice gap thoughtfully and seamlessly. Starting a private practice is an intimidating process that is complex and confusing. Thanks for building and continuously improving a product that's simple to use, so that nutrition and health professionals like myself can focus on doing what we love.

Pros: As a dietitian learning the ropes of private practice, using Simple Practice has actually taught me a lot about the process. From connecting the software to my website to booking appointments, hosting video chat appointments and correspondence with clients through a secure portal, billing and collecting payment, this software takes care of the process of private practice every step of the way. Their support staff has been amazing at guiding me along in a timely, friendly manner. Couldn't speak higher of this product!

Cons: While it wasn't too difficult to learn how to use the software, I think there's some room for improvement in the way the orient new users. They do an excellent job providing support to users-- Help Center, online classes, video guides. It can bit overwhelming as a new user to know where to start. Maybe if there was one "starter video guide" for brand new users that would help streamline some of the info.

by SimplePractice on 22/11/2018

Hi Jamie, we're happy you discovered us, too! We're proud to support the work that you do.

• Reviewed on 14/11/2018
Alexander M.
Counselor
  • Reviewed on 26/9/2019

"So far so good"

Comments: So far, so good. I am new to using this software so it'll take me time to get the hang of it. For the most part, it is very user friendly and intuitive. There were a couple of times where I was stumped and didn't really have support.

Pros: I love the features that this software offers. Reminders for clients and accessibility is wonderful.

Cons: Support when you are in need can be quite difficult as there isn't someone that I can just pick up the phone and call for assistance. This slows down my experience quite a bit.

by SimplePractice on 10/12/2019

Thank you for your positive review, Alexander - we're proud to support Uplifted. If you ever need help, you can Chat instantly with our Success team through the red Get Help bubble in your account. We're standing by to keep your practice running smoothly. - Gillian from SimplePractice

• Reviewed on 26/9/2019
Jacob W.
Psychotherapist / Owner
  • Reviewed on 12/12/2019

"Excellent"

Comments: Ease of use and an overall excellent product.

Pros: I like the nature of ability to navigate the multitude of areas needed to create documentation, file claims, and input personal client information.

Cons: I wish there were more time to understand the full capability of the product. Additionally, I wish there was a way to input a different program's patient information rather than having to manually typing it into Simple practice, if that is not already an option, let me know. :)

• Reviewed on 12/12/2019