15 years helping Irish businesses

About LearnDash

LearnDash is a WordPress LMS plugin that instantly transforms any WordPress site into a viable learning management system.

Learn more about LearnDash

LearnDash ratings

4.3
4.7
4.4
4.5

8.7/10

LearnDash has an overall rating of 4.6 out 5 stars based on 266 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used LearnDash before?

Levi
Levi
CIO in US
Human Resources, 11–50 Employees

All the basics covered with a great interface

Comments: So far, there hasn't been anything missing from LearnDash. We were able to launch our online learning program in just a few days. The learning curve was easy to overcome and we were able to get all of our content online with no problems. Each time we were stuck on something the documentation was able to steer us to the right answer and the one time we needed to reach out to support, their response was quick and helpful.

Pros:

We purchased LearnDash to integrate with MemberPress. Because of this, we do not use any of the payment, membership, or subscription functions in LearnDash. We use it exclusively to present courses, record quiz scores, and provide certificates. For those tasks, LearnDash is the perfect tool. The tools to build your content are drag and drop simple and the management tools are easy to understand. Integration with WordPress core functions and with the MemberPress system are flawless and we never had to tinker with them. Just installed the LearnDash plugin and got to work. A highlight was the "Focus Mode" feature for the actual learning environment. It provided a clean, good looking interface for our students and took exactly zero time to tweak. We just flipped the switch and had a great looking online classroom tool. If we want to hire designers later to build us pages that are more branded, we can. But Focus Mode allowed us to launch faster, with a better looking product, for no additional cost.

Cons:

Student reporting is adequate, but a little unimpressive. There are reports that can be downloaded, but there is no real dashboard to track student progress.

Founder in US
Consumer Goods, 2–10 Employees

Excellent product - terrible support

Comments: The Good :
+ Excellent functionality for authoring courses with all expected media types supported
+ Excellent functionality & UX for users taking courses
+ Full-featured for those starting with a blank slate
+ Mobile responsive (with our theme)
The Bad:
- Very hard to integrate with existing customized website (theme, plugins, etc)
- GravityForms integration virtually useless
- Unable to drive course access or pricing based on WP user role
- Apparently no hooks allowing implementer to modify their course enrollment process.
The Ugly
- HORRIBLE SUPPORT!

Pros:

The features/functions of this product are top notch. Particularly if you are building a new eLearning site and are willing to use their theme and their UX OOB, this is very easy to implement and has great features.

Cons:

The support experience has been horrendous! My task has been to integrate this LMS into an existing website which is very complex and sophisticated, without turning the existing UX on its head. The Support organization has been utterly useless either re-directing me to other plugins or mis-directing me with information that was simply wrong. The GravityForms integration is so poorly conceived as to be useless for my needs, and Support cannot provide any developer-level assistance at all. I've tried everything to get through to them - even contacting the CEO via LinkedIn - with no success. I'm now on the verge of demanding they cancel my license and refund the fee.

Fatture
Digital Marketer in US
Food & Beverages, 51–200 Employees

The Appropriate Online Learning Solution

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: The valuable training option from LearnDash is something that ensure gives credible information.

Pros:

The solution offers appropriate learning structures, where there is online training.

Cons:

LearnDash gives reasonable learning streams, and this faces no challenges.

Chi
Chi
CEO in Germany
E-Learning, 2–10 Employees

Great customer support, product needs some improvement

Comments: I am an open online Chinese course provider. I used to develop an entire course using our own software, based on Moodle. It worked quite well, but I thought using a plug-in might be the smart move since I want to also optimize the quizzes and courses for SEO purposes. This turned out to be not so easy, in fact, it might make the URL structure much more chaotic than it is if you simply use a "normal" SEO strategy separating the blog content and the free course content. Almost all my customer support requests lead to the conclusion that I will need to hire a programmer to solve the issue. I definitely see more flexibility with moodle, if you have the knowledge to set up a server and run the moodle there.
If you are someone who is just starting up alone, or with very little technical understanding, LearnDash would definitely be the right choice. but I think if you grow bigger, you will probably need something that can fulfill more purposes.

Pros:

What I love is the customer support. I have encountered some issues and have always had a great experience with customer support. Especially one employee [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] went a long way to make sure my problem was solved. Though the problem stayed as a default setup, she truly made it easy to keep using the solution. The customer support overall is amazing. For anyone who has a standard e-learning idea, I think LearnDash is the product to go for BECAUSE of the customer support.

Cons:

I understand that e-learning products are all quite troublesome due to database issues - it is indeed a sophisticated industry. However, I still have to say LearnDash is not very intuitive to use, especially when you have a concrete idea of how to set up your course. It has an overall extremely complicated URL structure, which makes SEO hard to achieve. And there is no option to make it shorter. Each course creates a line of subcategories, followed by lessons with the same subcategories. And then when you finally reach the quizzes, you simply have a long URL and you have no other way to change that. This is only one of the smaller things that you can't change. Also, it's not possible to insert a page to describe something, followed by a question within a quiz.

Elliott
Digital design and code in UK
Internet, Self Employed

This is my recommended LMS for my customers

Comments: The fact I recommend this LMS says it all—a great product and add-ons. Don't hesitate if you are researching/deciding on an LMS for WordPress.

Pros:

LearnDash is my go-to choice of LMS for my WordPress customers. One customer in particular had a complex set of requirements, of which LearnDash was able to deliver. With some customisation and add-ons, we have a fantastic LMS solution. Even out of the box, for simpler solutions this product rocks. The LearnDash support team are amazing, especially Shalom, who has been incredible support. Support teams make or break a product after sales.

Cons:

Once you understand the Groups/Users assignment hierarchy ( especially for UI shortcodes ) you are rolling. That element took some head-scratching, but, with great support ( see above ) it's all clear.

Jonathan
Jonathan
CTO in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11–50 Employees

A proven and robust tool to create and deliver educational courses

Comments: We've used this for a new course we recently created and it has been working well for our students. They provide video training and solid documentation to help get going. It can be confusing at first, and we've had to adjust our course as we've gone along and learned, but once you get used to how it works then it's fast and simple enough.

Pros:

The fact that it's used by large universities in Florida, Michigan and Washington gave me confidence that it is reliable. We like how easy it is to create new lessons and assign quizzes to them. The add-on library is fairly large to help expand its capabilities. It's a popular tool with a lot of resources online to help learn how to make the most of it. There are a lot of built-in options for tweaking how it works.

Cons:

It is somewhat complex to use compared to other options. That's partially because it provides so many options. You have to put some time into it to get it setup how you want and understand how it works, so it's not as fast to get going with as some other services would be. It could use more question types for the quizzes. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to view all of a student's essays and quiz answers on one page, however there are custom-made plugins that help with this.

Gitte
Business Owner in Canada
Hospitality, Self Employed

Top 3 Learning Management Systems

Comments: This is perfect for small businesses that offer specialized training for purchase.

Pros:

I like that I can clone my courses and integrate them with many different apps. The participants of my course have found the interface easy to navigate.

Cons:

Being a senior, the learning curve took some time to overcome and was frustrating at times but it has a lot of possibilities if you have technical knowledge.

Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Best LMS Solution for Wordpress

Pros:

The ease of setup and effective end-user adoption. Apart from that it has almost every aspect of LMS covered using its feature rich add-ons.

Cons:

I would say the premium price is the only con here if you compare this with something like Learnpress or Moodle.

Anthony
Anthony
Strategic Consultant in UK
Nonprofit Organisation Management, Self Employed

LearnDash for Wordpress is amazing

Pros:

Integrates with Wordpress seamlessly; perfect features for course management; ease for learners to register and work through content

Cons:

Would like add-ons to not always be costly

Kain
Founding director in UK
E-Learning, 2–10 Employees

Affordable and reliable LMS

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Couldn’t fault Learn Dash, and we don’t even use half of the functionality that’s available within. We’ve used Learn Dash for over two years now and don’t plan on moving away from it anytime soon.

Pros:

Learn dash is a very flexible LMS plugin, and in comparison to a number of other LMS’s we tried, Learn dash is compatible with all other components within our tech stack.

Cons:

There aren’t any learn dash negatives that I could comment on.

Alicia
Latin Dance Promotor and Instructor in Canada
Fine Art, 2–10 Employees

Mid Tier Product Requires Technical Skill or Patience

Comments: Now that it is set up, it is easy to manage and is a good way to test the products and audience without breaking the bank.

Pros:

It does function as a learning management system if you are just getting your business started, this is a good place to test your product.

Cons:

Support seemed challenging to come by, there was no online support and I ended up having to pay a developer from Upwork to set up my learndash for me after watching countless youtube tutorials.

Nano
Class Coordinator in US
E-Learning, 11–50 Employees

E-learning Test Prep Perspective

Comments: So far it has been pretty good. Setting it up was just what i expected - lots of youtube videos and trial and error. But when you get the hang of it building courses and everything is fun and smooth. Support has been great.

Pros:

- Course creation is intuitive. - User friendly. - Layout of course is practical. - Documentation is handy along with "how to...in LearnDash" youtube videos. - It is a right level of simple. Not to the point where it is too simple where you don't feel like it delivers value to the students and not to advanced where it is too difficult for students to use. - Support is helpful.

Cons:

- I think you should have the option to mark anything complete. - Add more options to the outline of course. As of now there is only Course, Topics, and Quizzes. It would be handy if you could add homework Assignments and Handouts. Within these Assignments and or Handouts there is checklist that students could follow to check progress of there homework completion. After the checklist is completed only then would the overall progress bar change. - You should be able to save quiz progress. Some quizzes we have are 100 questions and act more as homework (so students do not finish them in one go). - There should be better quiz reporting. Being able to evaluate your own quiz (and even homework) performance effectively is the difference between succeeding and failing. If students could get detailed breakdowns to their performance they could recognize patterns, identify strengths and weaknesses, and ultimately better aim their study efforts. If reporting was to be better it also needs to be intuitive and user friendly. So easy to read graphs and charts, filter options, careful organization of subjects versus performance, and so on. - aesthetics of login pop-up page should have more customization options. - With the pandemic and current era we live in the Zoom feature/ integration should come with product.

Jay
Owner/Operator in Canada
Computer Software, Self Employed

Learndash is a great LMS

Comments: I use Learndash for all my LMS websites. Learndash offers a great amount of features that allow me to customize the website to my clients and my needs.

Pros:

The features and functionality of the Learndash is outstanding.

Cons:

The learning curve is a little steep but once you start to figure things out it becomes easier.

Ederson
CEO in Dominican Republic
Design, 2–10 Employees

Excellent platform for online course

Comments: Overall, LearnDash is one of the best online course platforms I've seen. It has all the options that an academy, university, institute, school may need to give their Online courses. I don't think there is another more complete option to give online courses.

Pros:

If you need to create a website that allow you to teach people, then LearnDash is the best solution. I found LearnDash and liked how it had all the features that I needed in order to make this happen. The support team was always there to help me figure out anything I didn't understand, which is why they are so valuable. It's one of the best and most affordable online learning platforms I have ever come across. I am able to create courses, upload videos, assign quizzes, and keep track of the progress in a single dashboard. Something very important about this platform is that it allows students to learn at their own pace.

Cons:

What LearnDash needs to improve is its design of the courses, the part that the student sees, in my case I have to use other templates to improve the visualization. Something that I don't know because they haven't implemented is an APP to be able to take the courses from the cell phone.

Surya
Surya
Director & CEO in India
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Best LMS for WordPress!

Comments: My favorite feature is that I can self-host LearnDash on my website, which allows me to use my own URL and save money. It also allows me to select whatever theme builder to use with it, giving me complete control over how my landing and other associated pages appear with no scripting.

Pros:

Lessons and courses can be easily created and managed using LearnDash. The best aspect is that it can be completely integrated with the current WordPress site. They also have nice documentation to help you through it. You may even customize them with your preferred page builder, such as Elementor.

Cons:

Enrolling several students in a course is difficult, and I have yet to discover a LearnDash plugin that does it properly. Some areas might be difficult to customize the way you desire.

Mike
Head Teacher in Japan

Membership and Course Management

Comments: Generally speaking, the documentation is excellent, the customer support has been very positive and helpful, and it's been a good experience.

Pros:

Honestly, after banging my head against a wall trying desperately to Frankenstein other options together, I finally broke down and bought LearnDash and wish I had done so sooner. It solved a LOT of stressful issues oof how to create courses online, membership management, and the whole process of putting a system in place that works and doing so in a fairly straightforward way.

Cons:

I absolutely hate WordPress. Every time I fix one issue, the solution causes two more. I spend more time building my site and working on it than I do actually creating content. So my only complaint about this software is that I have to use it on Wordpress.

Information Technology & Services, 201–500 Employees

LearnDash has nearly made my career

Comments: LearnDash has been so useful in my "day job" that I've leveraged my course design into a "side hustle". I honestly don't know what I would do without it.

Pros:

I looked at other options, explored Moodle extensively. All our sites are built in WordPress, so I had a fair bit of familiarity - so when I discovered LearnDash, I was excited to try it. This is the exact plugin I needed to solve my compliance and training problems. They keep upgrading its core functionality, I've found other plugins to extend its features, and their support team is very helpful when I make stupid mistakes.

Cons:

One would really benefit from a solid understanding of WordPress to make the best use of LearnDash.

Andy
Founder in UK
Education Management, Self Employed

Brilliant product, great support, loads of plugins

Comments: I installed Learndash to host and sell online learning videos. I run face to face training mainly and the online courses support that. It has worked well for me and I have been selling courses also for a few months. I have a feedback from at the end of my course and one of the questions is 'how easy is the website and course to navigate?'. 19 people completed the questionnaire last month (the first month), about 20% of users and they 18 scored it 5/5 and 1 4/5. So that says to me that the Learndash user journey and experience is really good. So overall I am really pleased and to be honest its amazing that such tech is available at such a good price.

Pros:

It is just great value for money - what you get even as standard is really good. Loads of free plugins which are great. And I really like Notes and Private Sessions paid plugins. The support is also very good and genuinely helpful

Cons:

The only tricky part was working out the plugins needed for user registration, but there is an excellent guide on line. Like with all Wordpress tech theres always a few different options and it takes a while to figure out what is best for you.

Internet, 2–10 Employees

LocallyHost.com LearnDash Review

Comments: Relatively easy integration and administration especially being used with Buddyboss.

Pros:

Gamification to quizzes and progress tracking - This addresses the main motivation and needs for us to consider an LMS

Cons:

The limited licences pricing structure - Learndash LMS licences structure does not include an option for unlimited website licenses. This would have been a wonderful value for us.

Expert Community Lead in US
Computer Software, 201–500 Employees

LearnDash is the backbone of our Codeable Academy

Comments: LearnDash is the backbone of our Codeable Academy, and we use it to create helpful trainings for our 500+ developer community. In the past we would provide training and resources via a private forum or Google docs. But we didn't know how many users were consuming the information. Now we have full visibility on who has taken a course, how much of it has been completed, and what grades they received on the quizzes. As we continue to add more courses, we see LearnDash playing an integral part in the Codeable Academy, and we're proud to be using it.

Pros:

What I like most about LearnDash is the ease of use to implement and setup courses. The training videos that are included inside the plugin made learning to use it and build the courses simple. The plugin itself works perfectly, and we didn't have any issues building our courses. Our users (500+ developers) have had no issues when taking the courses and everything works like a charm.

Cons:

No complaints at all so far! When using an LMS plugin, you just want it to work without hassles or needing to contact support. And LearnDash provided a great experience start-to-finish.

Jeoff
President in US
Civic & Social Organization, 2–10 Employees

Learning curve but much easier than other software

Comments: I had tired other "educational" software, and got frustrated with the different aspects of them, cost, install, course building and so on. Tried out LD and it was a very simple install, and pretty straight forward how to build a course and quiz once you reviewed their videos after the install. We tried it out and we love how this software gives us the ability to have many courses for our SAR Team. With the way things are now, we are able to do much of our training via online and minimal exposure with out hands on, meaning that we have cut our time with face to face instruction down to at the minimal half of the time. You cant go wrong with the software, for the features, the abilities of the software, the response of the Tech Support with issues, and its very user friendly... Thanks and keep up the great work LD!!

Pros:

Instructs are straight forward, took me a bit to figure out exactly how to make things work the way I wanted them too. If I got in to a bind, LD support was there to help make the program do what I wanted. Two thumbs up for the Tech Support

Cons:

The thing that I don't care for is when building a certificate, you almost have to have two windows open to figure out where the placements go. You setup a fake test/quiz, with one question and use that to get a certificate window, go into your builder, and start laying out your certificate. If you try to click on the certificate in builder you get a forbiden page, Would be nice to just be able to open up the certificate and not have to go though so many steps to build or edit a certificate overlay

Adrien
President in Estonia

LearnDash: inexpensive and efficient Learning Management System

Comments: Realiable as it can handle (very) large number of users.
As it is a piece of software that offers many, many possibilites, there's a learning curve. But the customer support department has proven to be amazing to answer all our questions and needs.

Pros:

LearnDash makes it possible for our members to learn English more easily thanks to quizzes and interactive lessons and learning paths (progress tracking, personalized corrections, asynchronous learning and so on).

Cons:

It takes a bit of time to understand how LearnDash works but the learning curve is not too steep as the customer support department is really, really good! Beware that LearnDash can be super ressource-intensive if you have many members and/on many concurrent users on your membership site.

Benjamin
Owner in US

Poor gradebook

Comments: It's very good, except it doesn't display quiz results on the front end. Why not?

Pros:

There are many pros to Learndash. First, I have not encountered any bugs, and I have built a quite expensive course. Second, it can be integrated with with many other plugins that Wordpress sites typically have, such as Memberpress and Woocommerce. It think the quizzes themselves are great, although it would be better if you could create a quiz in Google sheets and then import it.

Cons:

The way quiz results are displayed is really lacking. When a student takes a quiz, he or she can see the result right after taking the quiz. But, if the user comes back to the quiz later, the user cannot see their previous attempt, they cannot see which questions they got wrong or right, or any information at all about their previous quiz attempt. This seems to be a very important feature that almost all students would want. I guess I will have to build them out in a custom way with PHP and MySQL. The other is to buy a plugin, but it still won't do what I want.

LearnDash Response

3 years ago

Hi Benjamin, thanks for your comments. Just to clarify: students CAN review their previous quiz scores and individual answers (what they got correct and incorrect) in a quiz. This is located on their profile. No need to custom build it, it's already there :)

Ahmed
Lead developer in Egypt

A very good WordPress LMS

Pros:

I used LearnDash for WordPress for a few years now. It's well developed, feature rich, and stable plugin that integrates well with any theme. In LD you have a hierarchy of Courses->Lessons->Topics which can be utilized to develop easy to navigate courses. Quizzes are also a good feature. I18n is also great, they provide .pot files to translate to your own language if translation is not readily provided

Cons:

Pricing model is quite awkward. I can't really find a good enough use case for a 1-site licenses vs pro 5-site license, unless I'm a developer/service provider

Joan
Company Owner in Ireland
Education Management, Self Employed

Excellent Customer Support Team in Learndash

Comments: I plan to sell childrens courses and have them hosted on Learndash. I was looking for a way to have the Parent as my Customer and the child as my User. [sensitive content hidden] in your support team has pointed me in the right direction, extremely helpful support agent.

Pros:

Easy to integrate with WP, Elementor, Surecart. Course setup is easy to follow.

Cons:

Screen flow is hardwired in Learndash to go from the Learndash Course Grid to the Course Details Page and then can be customised to go to a Landing Page. I was looking for a feature to go from the Course Grid to a Landing Page, to increase sales. Your very helpful support team have provided me with a workaround for this, huge thank you to [sensitive content hidden] !