15 years helping Irish businesses

Ireland Local product

Bright Reviews

4.9 (343) Write a Review! Ireland Local product

About Bright

BrightPay is a cloud-based payroll software that makes managing your payroll quick and easy.

Learn more about Bright

Pros:

Another benefit is that it emails PDF payslips all at once. Integrates with HMRC for RTI, and also for coding notices which is great.

Cons:

I have been caught out a few times by alterations to the pay of an employee in one month/pay period which do not automatically revert to the stated basic pay the following month.

Bright ratings

4.7

9.6/10

Bright has an overall rating of 4.9 out 5 stars based on 343 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Bright before?

Emma
Emma
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

Excellent practice management for small accountancy practice

Comments: Accountancy Manager has helped organise my practice. It keeps all information securely and allows clients to update/check their information anytime; assisting us to meet the GDPR requirements. The secure portal allows us to share information and obtain electronic signature, greatly reducing our postage costs. We’ve also noticed a better efficiency and improved cash flow thanks to a more streamline way of working.

Pros:

Cloud access - I can check my tasks at work/home/on my mobile. Easy search function Good record of deadlines Easy to use portal Regular improvements and updates

Cons:

Sometimes it can be hard to navigate the site. I think clients get confused with logging in to the portal from Accountancy Manager - would love an embedded log in for my own website.

Lisa
Bookkeeper in UK
Accounting, Self Employed

Best software for my practice

Comments: Its been an amazing experience with AM. Its only been about 8 weeks since I started the trial so I am relatively new and still working my way through all what it can do. AM has saved me so much time, its connectivity with HMRC was super easy and I got the information within a week. Being able to access all the information without relying on spreadsheets is a bonus.

Pros:

I signed up to a trial with Accountancy Manager after a failed attempt to get another practice management software sorted for my practice. I had a 1on1 meeting to go through the software and for me to ask questions. They send you weekly tasks with short videos to complete. There are software setups and short videos in the actual software that you can rewatch if not sure and their amazing support team and my account manager have been brilliant helping me with any questions. It has saved me so much time, I am able to apply for authorisation from HMRC from within the software, I can get documents signed, clients can send me documents through a more secure means than just emails. Being able to email multiple clients at a time with news or information is a time saver. Tracking if the client has seen an email is a great addition too.

Cons:

The worse bit for me was setting up the templates or adjusting them. As i am with ICB, there are certain paragraphs that I needed in there and i had to do it manually and check each template which took its time.

Baljit
Practice Director in UK
Financial Services, 2–10 Employees

Review

Comments: Our experience has been positive with AM but there are still a few features that need to be added.

Pros:

The software is easy to set up and is user friendly. You can save all your deadlines, references and customer information in one place. Keep track of all outstanding tasks. Send mass emails easily.

Cons:

There are many areas that need developing eg adding budgeted hours against a client, mass documents to be attached when sending an email, uploaded documents to be saved all together, folders to be created to structure uploaded documents, exporting outstanding tasks, customised drop down boxes for short description on time log.

Rasa

Superb product for accountants

Pros:

I have tried and tested quite a few software before I came across Accountancy manager. One had a client database but required extensive work to set up tasks, especially those that are requiring, preset specific templates, another had some features that were required in Practice (i.e. Letters of engagement), but not others, so in fact, my practice and tasks were managed across 3-4 CMR's and client management software, that in combination served my practice management needs. AM was revolutionary, for it had all of the features I wanted and needed in one software.

Cons:

I find filters bit cumbersome. Guess it's a very low price to pay.

Fiona
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

Fantastic product with brilliant support

Comments: Accountancy Manager has really helped me automate my task management and client onboarding processes. I've been using it less than a year but it's really helped transform the running of my business and having one piece of software that does all these different things is fantastic! If I'm ever stuck or have a problem the support is always really quick to respond and super helpful.

Pros:

I love how straightforward it was to set up and get up and running. I really like the task management functions, how I can see what deadlines are coming up and what staff are working on. The proposal emails and e-signing of LOEs and T&Cs has been so helpful and the ability to perform AML ID checks from within the software has been brilliant.

Cons:

I like the task template breakdowns but the fact they don't copy over when a new task is created can be frustrating, however, I'm hoping the new workflow functionality will sort this out.

Daniel
Accountant in Poland
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

Great software helping manage your practice

Comments: Very good software that saves lots of time.

Pros:

It is online and linked to other software and HMRC

Cons:

Pricing per user, it would be better to have pricing per number of clients. Also the invoicing is not linked properly with QuickBooks.

Darren

Accountancy Manager Review

Comments: Overall AM is the best around in our opinion and we will not be looking at any other software in this field.

Pros:

AM is very simple to use and easily understood. I like the fact that all the invoices and statements can be emailed out and a copy kept for our records. The money laundering section is also very good to have on record and the HMRC authentication is handy to use and saves time.

Cons:

The only thing about AM that I would love see changed is that you cannot print all statements at once as it only allows individually at the minute

Sam
Owner in UK

Wouldn't use anything else

Comments: It's been essential for me to build my payroll bureau

Pros:

I love that the software is user friendly and intuitive, with a pleasant looking interface. The customer support has also been fantastic.

Cons:

I would love it to be cloud based (which is in the pipeline), and also more batch processing features.

Bright Response

last year

Thank you for your review Sam. It's great to hear that you find the software so user-friendly and intuitive. Our fully cloud software is on the way! Thanks again.

Leigh
Co/Owner in UK

Im so glad we found AM

Comments: Before AM we used spreadsheets to keep track of tasks and clients. Deadlines are so very important that it used to keep us awake at night worring that we might miss something. These days we sleep like a baby....

Pros:

We love the the culture at AM, they are so full of personality. We feel valued and very much part of the family. We love the way AM tracks tasks and organises them in to "work to lists" giving us a clear jobs list for the day, week, month etc

Cons:

Invoicing. We are looking forward to this developing.

Claire
Claire

Brightpay - employee portal winner

Pros:

That employees can access their own payroll portal

Cons:

Hasn't yet adapted for the recent ruling relating to holiday pay

Bright Response

last year

Hi Claire, thank you for your review and we are delighted to hear that you are using the BrightPay Connect employee portal. Please ensure you have ran the latest upgrade, which will be prompted on the main BrightPay screen.

Jennifer
Accounting, Self Employed

Excellent system for keeping track in my practice

Comments: This system has helped me to keep all of my clients and prospective clients details in one easy to reach place. I can now easily keep track of the number of hours I am spending on each client task and it has reduced the amount of chasing up I was previously having to do in order to get paperwork from clients. It has also really helped my practice in becoming GDPR compliant with regards to sharing documentation with them. My clients have also commented on how easy the registration process with my practice is now that I have implemented Accountancy Manager.

Pros:

The amount of client information that you can enter including details of any communication that has occured is extremely useful. I really like the task list and the automatic reminders that can be sent out to clients for various pieces of missing information. I also like the time tracking features and the fact that it is GDPR compliant.

Cons:

I found the initial setup quite difficult to get to grips with and trying to tailor each template that was in the system was quite labourious but has paid off in the long run. I don't like not being able to pause a task for when I have to take a telephone call.

Wendy
Owner & Licensed Accountant in UK
Accounting, Self Employed

Game changer for my practice

Comments: This software has drastically cut down on onboarding admin time. I can easily manage deadlines, see what WIP I have ongoing. It enables clients to securely send me documents.

Pros:

This software is fabulous, it keeps me organised, enables secure signing of documents, and looks professional. The customer service is great, any issues are dealt with promptly.

Cons:

All pretty straight forward to use, I like the new tasks beta.

James
Payroll Clerk in
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 11–50 Employees

Brightpay Payroll

Comments: I had been a Sage 50 Payroll customer for around 20 years but found it getting ever more expensive and difficult to get in touch with customer care when you needed them with lengthy waits on hold. I needed to renew my Sagecover and they wanted to put me onto a monthly subscription, the amount they wanted just did not represent good value for money to me so I started to look at other options which was a big decision after using the same software for so long and having to learn another product from scratch . I trialed Moneysoft which also gets good reviews but I didn't really like the very old fashioned 1980's looking interface very much although it did the job. Then I tried Brightpay and was immediately impressed, it covers all the features I need including RTI and Auto Enrollment at a fraction of the price of Sage for the amount of employees I have. Moving data from Sage and setting things up took a little bit of time but this was mostly double checking everything was correct. The user interface is great and I find it easy to use, it's not quite so in depth as Sage so maybe misses a few features but this makes it less cluttered and easy to learn and operate. Also there's no need for dedicated stationery everything can be produced on plain paper which is another cost saving. I had a couple of initial queries and customer care answered these promptly. I would highly recommend this product, it's fantastic value for money.

Pros:

Nice modern user interface. Easy to learn and operate. Covers RTI and Auto Enrollment. No need for dedicated stationery. Excellent value for money. Fixed yearly fee includes all legislation and feature updates and support.

Cons:

Would be nice to be able to attach documents to employee records i.e. contract of employment, disciplinary letters, etc.

Eamonn
Director in
, 2–10 Employees

Brightpay Auto Enrolment and RTI Ready Payroll software

Comments: I have never come accross such a user friendly software product. Every box and heading is self explanatory. Transfer from Basic PAYE Tools, set up and running has been so easy. The software is completely free for up to 3 employees. This suited us initially. Any small queries I have had have been dealt with in a timely and efficient manner demonstrating how utterly professional and committed to excellent customer service Brightpay are. Although Brightpay were already linked to about 10 Pension providers (including NEST, Peoples and NOW), we decided to use an Auto enrolment pension scheme which wasnt yet linked to the software but Brightpay developers worked like trojans to get it up and running in time for our staging date. There were a few teething problems with online pension contribution filing, but I just had to send a copy of my files by email so the developers could see what was going wrong. It was a simple password error. By the end of the day it was all sorted and has been running smoothly ever since. This was Excellent service above and beyond the call of duty, and considering we had not paid a penny for use of the software.

Pros:

If an employee has a fixed salary each month this is shown automatically on each payroll day so no further entries need to be done. The HMRC and Pension Scheme id and passwords need to be entered only once in the set up. Then a simple click on the send button is done for all future submissions. Massive time savings. Each employee has a holiday and sick day calendar which recalculates holidays remaining or if SSP is entitled to automatically. Transferring mid year from another payroll product is simple.

Jonathan
Payroll Analyst in Philippines
Retail, 501–1,000 Employees

Bright day cause of brightpay

Pros:

I've tried a lot of payroll software and bright pay has the easiest software to navigate its a user friendly and covers almost all of the payroll concerns

Cons:

what I wish brightpay must have is the capacity to trace back or correct some input of records foe example some alteration may have done but it is hard to trace back the records.

Simon
Proprietor in UK

Helping to Develop Your Practice

Comments: This software has enabled me to grow from being a sole practitioner to a staff of 7.

Pros:

I enjoy the fact that it is hosted as all of my staff are remote workers. This is a central point for the entire team to refer to. New features are coming out regularly

Cons:

I have found no Cons in using this software,

Elliot
Accounting, 11–50 Employees

A helping hand...

Pros:

The functionality available is excellent and it is such a useful tool in the running of the business and the management of on-boarding clients and managing workflow.

Cons:

Still quite obviously in development so at times the product is updated and this can cause a few issues. Lack of ability to make enough customized changes at the moment but hopeful that things will improve as it becomes more established.

Kandarp
Manager in UK

Excellent Software

Comments: It saves a lot of my time.

Pros:

1. Connection with Companies house 2. Automatic emails 3. Ease of creating engagement letters

Cons:

Template customisation. You can't simply copy and paste directly to the software due to the HTML issues. I had to copy the contents first to notepad and then to the software. However, the support team was brilliant. They did a lot of work for many of my templates.

Victoria
Administrator in UK

Not as good as expected

Comments: Overall, it is good that is a page, not a program. So you can use from home when you need it.

Pros:

The really good thing is that they have tasks. The program generates deadlines and you can update progress and add a note.

Cons:

Notes are so big and arranged uncomfortably. Sometimes you have to reload a few pages to find necessary information.

Rosie
Owner in US
Management Consulting, 2–10 Employees

Decent technology, customer-focused

Pros:

I've used this software over two years and while parts of it are clunky, I love the annual updates and ways they continually change the platform to make it user friendly. It really feels like they listen to customer suggestions and make changes. Our employees love the self-serve model whereby they can access all their pay information on their own without going to HR.

Cons:

User customization could use some upgrades. I'd like to be able to change the formatting and most-used columns and set up my dashboard more to my liking. This doesn't mean the software is not usable, it's just a bit clunky and means I do not work as quickly as I'd like.

Liz
Owner in
Farming, Self Employed

Review of Brightpay

Comments: Since discovering Brightpay 2 years ago, I have introduced it to 6 of my clients and have now agreed to take on a Payroll Bureau on the basis that I can use Brightpay for this purpose. It allows me to use sub contractors easily in order to process the payrolls and exchange information very easily. The set up process has been surprisingly easy and the support from Brightpay has been excellent

Pros:

Programme easy to understand. Help pages very straight forward and easy to understand . Support line well staffed and e mails are responded to quickly. The cost of the programme is very good especially for SME's where only 2 or 3 staff but with full AE obligations to comply with.

Cons:

Very easy to end up with a duplicate copy of the same payroll on your PC. Quite easy to replicate a salary increase which can result in an overpayment in the next month if not carefully checked.

Sandra
Propriator in
, 11–50 Employees

So glad I changed to BrightPay

Comments: As a self-employed Farm Bookkeeper/Secretary working for a number of businesses, I've used a couple of different payrolls over the years and recently came across BrightPay when looking for a payroll that dealt with pension auto-enrolment seamlessly with out costing a fortune, unlike the payroll program I was using. I found it relatively easy to change over midyear and have now converted several of the farms where I work. I initially talked to some of the BrightPay staff at a seminar for bookkeepers and they were very helpful; I've only had to contact the helpline once during conversion and they were brilliant. The online documentation and video tutorials are a great help, clear and easy to follow. I love the way you have a visual flag that the RTI and Pension return need to be sent - something that was easy to miss on my old software if you got interrupted by phone or someone coming into the office during the payroll run. Option for cloud backup so can access data from a different location and still run payroll if snowed in and can't get to the office!

Pros:

Visual flag that RTI & Pension submissions need sending. Easy to use. Great value for money. Option for cloud backup so no worries about loosing data.

Cons:

On fortnightly pay can only enter 1 x fortnightly figure - the staff are used to seeing 2 x weekly figure on payslip.

sol
Company Secretary in UK
Computer Software

Easy to Use and Cheap to Buy

Pros:

The interface is very intuitive and we have found it easy to use. On the occasions that we have had a problem, we have not had to wait that long for someone to answer the phone on their helpline. Also, the helpline is based in the UK and is not an Indian call centre.

Cons:

We have found backing up data and restoring the date a bit confusing at times. This is why we are considering using the cloud version of the software so we don't have to worry about backups.

Asoka
Owner in UK
Accounting

Saving time with Brightpay since 2013

Pros:

Easy to use product and the system is very transparent with easy to understand reports. Brightpay support is quick and efficient. Brightpay support the software by incorporating the latest legislation such as pensions auto enrolment so that the system can be used easily for the additional issues of payroll.

Cons:

Nothing at the moment! Brightpay keep enhancing the software so that additional information for HR purposes can be used.

Sophie
Accounts assistant in UK

Best payroll software

Comments: I love working with Bright pay. It is so simple and easy to use and is the best payroll software i have used in 5 years.

Pros:

Is easy to use, the best payroll software i have used. I have been doing payroll for 5 years and this is by far my favourite.

Cons:

Sometimes it freezes and it disconnects from the cloud.