• Overall
    4.3 /5
    4.2 /5
    4.2 /5

About Edsby

Edsby is an award-winning next generation K-12 LMS built for the unique needs of K-12 schools, states/provinces and countries.

Learn more about Edsby

Technology Integration Specialist
  • Reviewed on 17/12/2019

"K-12 Social Networking Based LMS"

Comments: Overall, the Edsby platform excels at social communication and K-12 school management. I wouldn't necessarily call it a proper LMS just yet because it only recently added the functionality to build asynchronous courses and import SCORM based learning modules.

Pros: The company is based in Ontario, Canada and focuses on K-12 education which is exactly where my school lands. As a result, many of the changes and customization are geared towards my school. Most the major LMS companies are based in the US so their focus is naturally there.

Cons: It seems like the number of customer service staff has not grown at a rate that can accommodate the number of clients that Edsby is accumulating. This has resulted in excruciatingly slow response times, especially around September and October.

• Reviewed on 17/12/2019
Graham C.
E-Learning, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 7/1/2021

"Good in single classes, too labyrinthine for a whole courseload."

Comments: I've taught and learned via a host of LMSs, and as currently configured Edsby just isn't up to scratch for complete online learning. It works well enough as an adjunct to in-person learning, especially at the elementary level. Parent contacts works well, although my own classes are missing emails and I'm unsure why that is. I haven't used the gradebook yet so I can't comment.
If I was to ask the dev team for 2 things they would be:
1) Make courses pinnable, and possibly even mutable. Allowing user customization will go long way.
2) Separate tasks and discussion. Student comments should never bury teacher announcements.

Pros: Generally intuitive and clear. Student and parent contact info is easy to find. Posts are easy to make.

Cons: It is remarkably easy to get lost or miss important items as a user of any type (teacher, student or parent). There is no ability to prioritise certain classes or threads, and the only way to post items is in the rolling general chat thread. The pinned item space is a limited area in the left margin, so to find anything you have to (1) go into the correct class/course and (2) scroll down past all other posts (including student chatter) to hopefully find the right thing in the timeline.
If students or teachers are registered for multiple classes, there is no way to pin, prioritize or re-organize the order of classes, either for yourself or for your students. This means that 'Homeroom' is buried under a mountain of inactive classes or classes I'm no longer teaching.

by Edsby on 18/1/2021

I'm sorry you're having an unsatisfactory experience with Edsby. Edsby was built in Ontario for the needs of Ontario educators. If you haven't used Edsby's ON Ministry Growing Success-friendly gradebook, you're missing a huge part of the value of Edsby.

Re: ordering Edsby classes and groups, click and drag them on your Edsby desktop into any order you like. Your reordering is respected on all devices. And if student discussion in your classes is undesirable for how you want to use your classes, turn off the ability for students to post. Your choice as educator. Avail. in the Setup menu in each class. If you want to encourage student discussions or collaboration outside of your class containers, i.e. if you want to keep them teacher material-only, consider using Edsby Groups.

Happy to walk you through specifics of the above or other perceived Edsby shortcomings. Post questions in the Edsby Feedback group in your Edsby system or write us at [email protected]

• Reviewed on 7/1/2021
Darryl H.
Education Management, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/9/2019

"The Best Educational Management Tool Solution"

Comments: I find Edsby is the ideal all in one classroom management tool. Edsby allows me to present lessons with a variety of image and video formats, evaluate, post results with comments in a way that resonates with students and is accessible to parents.

Pros: 1. Intuitive layout
2. Very user-friendly for both teachers and students
3. The ability to incorporate various attachment formats such as .jpeg hyperlinks and .wmv files

Cons: I wish when accessing assignments for marking in the grade book the list on the right-hand side would show I have marked it and not require I click on the assignment on the list on the right in order to affect the number of unmarked assignments. I open the assignment and add comments by clicking on the assignment from the list on the grade book screen.

• Reviewed on 27/9/2019
Andrew C.
Highschool French Teacher
E-Learning, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/5/2019

"Edsby - Where learning happens!"

Pros: Edsby is an all in one solution. I use it for quizzes, rubrics, grade managing and reporting, sharing authentic online resources and scheduling. I love the fact that I can have students write a self-correcting quiz that automatically shows up in the Gradebook module. I have instant access to all my students' contact information, allowing me to easily contact them through messaging. Even though Edsby has a file management system, I can easily integrate Google Drive and other tools within it. It has made one step to closer to the paperless classroom easier. Edsby allows my students and I to stay organised and content and structure can easily be imported into the next school semester/year.

Cons: Some glitches are still present in the quiz maker where auto-saving sometimes corrupts the layout of the quiz. Attached files in quizzes get removed when transferring quizzes between folders. The end of unit/cycle names aren't visible in some-drop down menus if they are too long. Self-populating expectations no longer show up when you enter the expectation codes corresponding to them in the assessment creator. All these are minor glitches that can be ironed out through the customer service ticket system.

• Reviewed on 22/5/2019
Google Trusted Independent Photographer
Primary/Secondary Education, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/11/2018

"Edsby from a student's perspective"

Comments: Having used Edsby for the past 3 1/2 years in high school, it is an incredibly useful tool for staying organizied and being successful. I would highly recommend this tool to other schools for its features and ease of use.

Pros: -Edsby effectively aggregates all my school-related info in one place - the class page is the most useful in showing lesson content, unit plans, daily journals, and upcoming assessments on one page
-I can (obsessively) check my current grades for any class at any time
-It's easy to keep up with school news and extracurriculars in different groups
-Office Online integration enables me to view Word/PowerPoint/Excel documents without having the desktop apps installed

Cons: -Certain features from the August 2018 update are undeveloped, such as the Emoji confidence indicator and document preview in the Content library
-The iOS app feels slow and buggy; it can take several seconds to load some class pages or groups

• Reviewed on 14/11/2018
Elizabeth H.
Educator (High school teacher)
  • Reviewed on 26/9/2017

"I use Edsby as my class website, to track student marks and as my complete daybook."

Comments: The best part for me is the Course Plan with the daily organization allowing me to include PPTs, videos, notes, etc...

Pros: I like the organization of the Course plan as I appreciate the daily record of my notes and resources. I appreciate the interactive aspect of the wall for classroom participation. It's helpful that handouts can be posted to reduce photocopy waste especially since students often interact comfortably with online text.

Cons: The online platform that I used to use for my class website was a lot more visually appealing.
The Grade book aspect is a little not-userfriendly and has less functionality that the previous program I used. I would REALLY appreciate the ability to separate formative assessment from summative. For example, I like to use the online multiple choice questions the gauge their thinking as we go; however, when I am looking at their marks, I do not want them to be included. It is significant enough that I will either stop using the online quizzes or I will choose another software for keeping track of marks.

John V.
principal

"Excellent Communication Tool"

Comments: When we made the switch to Edsby, our parents and students felt that they were more informed and better equipped for success in the classroom. Edsby has allowed students to have access to everything they need from their classes as well as being able to keep informed about what is happening in the groups they participate in at school. Parents have loved being able to know what is happening in their son or daughter's class, as well as being informed about how they are doing. The best software package for attendance, grading, and communicating on the market.

Pros: everything you need is in one software package
live adjustments allowed on attendance
instant communication with students and parents

Carolyn A.
Education Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 3/10/2017

"Positive with some frustrations"

Comments: Communication.

Pros: Communication with parents, students, and staff is easy. I use the calendar daily in order to make note of due dates and provide message reminders regularly. Having an outlet to post important documents is also highly valued.

Cons: Seeing student marks is challenging; the print versions are poor as printing marks are not visible and print templates lack space to write information. Viewing data could also be more user friendly. It would be nice for learning skills from Report 1 to remain in place for Report 2 as well.

• Reviewed on 3/10/2017
Tomas J.
Head of Computer Science and Technology
Primary/Secondary Education, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/11/2018

"Great tool to track student's learning"

Comments: I think Edsby opens the communciation with students and parents, students can upload their own work, see teachers feedback and refelct on the feedback. all this process is esay to document and share.

Pros: I like the features that allow me and my students to communicate feedback and check progress of activiites. Students and I can record multimple evidences of learning and create conversations based on the evidence gathered.

Cons: Sometimes uploading times and response of server is slow.

• Reviewed on 21/11/2018
Robin P.
Parent -- & -- Customer Relations
  • Reviewed on 26/9/2017

"Appreciate being able to connect with teachers but not as easy to do as it should be"

Comments: Better way to communicate with teachers to ensure messages get back and forth and can have a few communications before the child even gets home from school

Pros: Love the ability to:
- connect with teachers
- see homework & due dates
- see extra learning materials
- child being able to hand homework in

Cons: I find navigation not always easy to do to find teachers or materials.
I've tried to message a teacher to ask a question but had to look for an old email to reply to it instead of starting a new thread of conversation
I'd appreciate it being very easy for my child to look up their schedule and what school day they are on for the upcoming dates
Practice materials would be SO awesome to have sinc KPDSB doesn't like their students having homework in the Primary grades - afraid of parents doing the homework -- understandable but then my child comes home with results less than their capability without having some practice to help understand the materials. Thanks

Tim B.
  • Reviewed on 24/5/2019

"Robust Tool"

Comments: It's a lot easier to stay organized with Edsby.

Pros: Edsby is a great place to keep everything organized for your class. You can do a lot with it, and really helps with students who accidentally keep losing all the handouts you give them.

Cons: There are a few little bugs that can be annoying. It needs to work far better as a mobile app. On a computer it's great.

• Reviewed on 24/5/2019
Cynthia D.
lead teacher
  • Reviewed on 26/9/2017

"I use Edsby as a teacher in high school."

Comments: everything is now in one place.
the privilege of spending way more time entering marks and calculating final percentages

Pros: I like that 'everything" is in one place.
I like that communication with parents (theoretically) is streamlined.

Cons: I hate the gradebook. It is inflexible and does not give me the information I want.
I don't like that every change is communicated so precisely to parents (for example if I change a grade, it adds a comment - isn't changing the grade enough? I can add a comment if I want to.)
I don't like that each item gives parents the percent it is worth out of the total. It takes away from my professional judgement and allows parents and students to calculate their overall percent which is something our board has opted NOT to tell parent.s

by Edsby on 28/9/2017

Cynthia, did you know you don't HAVE to share grades, averages or weightings with parents in Edsby? It's up to you. Select the options you'd like in each classes' setup form. Enter the class, and click the setup option in the top menu. Your district has chosen some options consistent with their overall policy, but you as a teacher still get flexibility to exercise your professional judgement.

Marilyn V.
Office Administrator
  • Reviewed on 21/5/2019

"Edsby Review"

Comments: Edsby has benefited our school community in that it's a great communication tool.

Pros: It's easy to use. It's a wonderful communication tool between students, staff and parents providing current information.

Cons: There should be an easier way to find or file/organize the messages you send and receive.

• Reviewed on 21/5/2019
Kimberly J.
  • Reviewed on 26/9/2017

"Excellent experience. Good program that is easy to use for all our teachers and administration."

Comments: The app is continuing to improve. It is nice to now have a better format of the app parents of our school are much more pleased with the app as most use that system.

Pros: Easy to use. New features are always being added. Easy implementation for new staff and administration. Easy integration for parent use.

Bruce M.
VIce Principal
  • Reviewed on 26/9/2017

"Great tool to compliment the Assessment and Evaluation process."

Pros: The communication aspect with home in that parents and students are made aware of the students' academic progress, and kept up to date with the students' daily life.

Cons: The difficulty is that the integration between our current SAS and EDSBY has a daily lag in updating student information from one to other as well as the inability to migrate much information from EDSBY to our SAS.

Jared H.
Research Assistant
Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/3/2019

"Incredibly powerful tool for learning and teaching"

Comments: It has made my classroom experience so much simpler by reducing paperwork, as well as simplifying my workflow. I've had great comments from my students about the new system, and feel like it is a great tool for my needs.

Pros: Accessible to teachers, students, and parents
Maintains current grads, feedback, and announcements
File sharing of assignments great
Allows for confidential communication
Helpful for everyone involved in education

Cons: There is nothing I dislike about Edsby, because it seems like everything bad gets patched quickly in their updates

• Reviewed on 14/3/2019
Jill W.
  • Reviewed on 26/9/2017

"Excellent all around tracking program"

Pros: Everything all in one place and set up for you. Lots of opportunity to communicate with students and parents but also privacy settings.

Cons: Not always the easiest to navigate between classes. Could really use a better daybook setting to keep lessons in the same spot.

Barbara V.
teacher
E-Learning, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 6/8/2020

"using Edsby as a teacher for elearning"

Comments: Great I think that we should have kept that system.

Pros: Edsby was easy to learn and easy for the students to how to find assignments, do the assignments and submit them back to teachers. Grades went right into the gradebook making it easy to record and submit information for accessments.

Cons: might be a better way to write in assignments.

by Edsby on 7/8/2020

Thanks, Barbara, for taking the time to share your thoughts on Edsby.

• Reviewed on 6/8/2020
Mara R.
Primary/Secondary Education, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/10/2016

"Great resource for the classroom"

Comments: My school adopted Edsby a year ago. While still in the process of being developed and enhanced, this resource facilitates school-wide communication and it is user friendly.
However, fast problem-solving and customer service are two areas that could be improved.

Pros: User friendly

Cons: No editing for posts and message organization features

• Reviewed on 17/10/2016
Jim M.
Retired Fire Captain
Government Administration, 501-1,000 Employees

"What's up! Doc!"

Comments: Having 2 children in Edsby can sometimes be challenging The only negative I have is once the grade period is over you can not see the grades from the last quarter

Pros: Keep up with the students grades

Cons: Finding grades after the quarter is over

by Edsby on 14/10/2016

Thanks for the comments, Jim! Re: not seeing grades from the last quarter, your school district modified Edsby to hide previous quarter results by default. To see them, click the grey box beside Classes on your Edsby home screen when logged in with a web browser. Previous quarters are available in a pull-down list.

Law Student
Higher Education, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/5/2020

"Engaging Tool; Highly Recommended"

Comments: Strong communication tool for our kids/teachers. During Covid-19, this has been especially helpful.

Pros: We like how the software really mimics conventional social media platforms. My kids are loving it because it feels similar to the accounts they are using on others sites. As a parent, the communication capabilities are really slick.

Cons: Some teachers have complained about the way that other students are interacting with their instructors. It seems like students may have the tendency to be too casual while using this. My kids haven't had this problem, but I can understand how this issue frustrates some of the teachers.

• Reviewed on 25/5/2020
Victoria W.
  • Reviewed on 26/9/2017

"The program works, but is not intuitive. You don't naturally figure it out."

Pros: There is a chance for technological support. They will try to answer your questions and solve your problems. They do not always come up with a solution right away.

Cons: I find that I have to scroll down to do anything because the boxes you need to fill out for the journal entries are too big to fit on a screen. When you make an entry in the journal the first time you need to reopen it to add a unit title...a strange waste of time. When you print off marks, seating plans etc they are WAY too small for most people to see. A seating plan with pictures needs to be big enough to see the faces! Seating plans for split courses cannot be blended together...so they are useless.

Deb E.
Jr. Teacher

"Thoughts On Improvements"

Comments: I personally find it easy to use - I enjoy all features (Grading, Planner, etc) Suggestions
* possibility of printing agenda notes for students who don't have access to internet
* a way to "search" for messages and words in groups (e.g. staffroom)
* more functionality in the app (camera/photos, etc)
* a way to "define" standards when they are the same in certain subjects for split classes (e.g. less editing involved)
* key feature would be the printing option for agenda notes for students (mentioning it again as we have quite a few students who do not have internet at home - or who prefer a paper agenda... so making everyone happy if possible).
Thanks for the excellent customer service!
Deb

Pros: Gradebook and communication features - the link to Trillium and student information for ease of access for the information

Cons: * ability to print for students who do not have technology at home
* taking a photo
* being able to post to multiple classes when using an app

Isley U.
Grant Coordinator
Primary/Secondary Education, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/12/2018

"Educational Software that fulfills all your needs!"

Comments: Pretty much everything a teacher could need in one easy package!

Pros: The gradebook is maybe my favorite feature of this powerful educational software. Not only does it meet all government compliance standards, but it's also so easy to use that you will be able to pull student/parent info and view report cards in minutes!

Cons: A little clunky when viewing assessments by class (have to open them separately), but nothing remotely serious in this fantastic software.

• Reviewed on 14/12/2018
Melissa R.
Parent user
Primary/Secondary Education
  • Reviewed on 6/11/2015

"Edsby immediate feedback has been helpful"

Pros: I can see my child's grades as soon as they're posted. I don't have to constantly ask about grades. Just a great way to stay informed.

Cons: Nothing major. Just took a little time to get familiar with how to use.

• Reviewed on 6/11/2015