Open Dental Reviews

by Open Dental Software

• Overall
    4.6/5
    4.6/5

About Open Dental

Powerful, flexible, affordable Dental Practice Management Software. A comprehensive solution for dental offices or any size.

Learn more about Open Dental

Katie R.
Virtual Administrative Consultant
Hospital & Health Care, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/4/2019

"Would Never Recommend Anything Else!"

Comments: Love it, love it, love it!

Pros: Honestly, can’t say enough! Ease of use, accessibility to all features, ledger is simple/easy to understand, payment allocation is perfect, customization is amazing. Not one thing I DONT LIKE ABOUT!!

Cons: I honestly can’t think of one single thing I don’t like about it. Especially since I’m at an office that uses Dentrix.

• Reviewed on 11/4/2019
Nathan G.
  • Reviewed on 6/5/2020

"Great Dental Software"

Comments: Overall, the best software that you can find out there. Highly superior to Dentrix. Things are streamlined with open dental. The support is also very very helpful. They can remote into your computer and fix anything. It is great to even call support to ask questions about learning the features of the software.

Pros: The absolute best dental patient management software out there! I switched from Dentrix to Open Dental...the best decision that I have ever made. Everything is organized and where it should be. The software was created by a dentist, so the layout is more ideal for our dental minds! It is so simple to view patient information. I really like how customizable the software is for my office. We are also to change colors, location of info, and so much more. I really like open dental.

Cons: The software interface is nothing fancy. This is not a huge deal, but there certainly could be some improvement in this area. I am a high tech doctor, and want everything in my office to reflect the same. Open dental is very "basic" in its look.

• Reviewed on 6/5/2020
Danielle M.
Front Office Team Leader
  • Reviewed on 16/9/2020

"Software is easy to use"

Comments: Great, we have had no problems with this program.

Pros: Open Dental has so many great features! There customer service department is top notch and if you need anything they make sure there is a report or they fix any problems.

Cons: There really isn't anything that our office doesn't like about this product, they are always updating and making it easier to use and understand!

• Reviewed on 16/9/2020
Kayla L.
Treatment Planner
  • Reviewed on 24/4/2018

"Open dental is easy to use once you get a hang of it"

Pros: I love that I can go to open dental website if I ever have any questions about the software or it’s functions

Cons: It’s not like any other dental softwares on the market. It functions completely different. But I would still recommend

• Reviewed on 24/4/2018
Stanislav K.
Dentist/Owner
  • Reviewed on 13/1/2019

"My Server Crashed and Open Dental came to my rescue!!"

Comments: So, my physical server just crashed this past Tuesday the 1st of January 2019. The 2 of the 3 hard-drives on the server were corrupted, last one barely had accessible data. The other backup, the "Cloud" back up would not sync, there was an issue with the password that could not be recovered. I was dead in the water. I got on the phone with rep from Open Dental. This guy is top rate IT man, he knows the software, the code, etc. An emergency data recovery team was able to get rep a semi corrupted, semi correct version of my data and he put it all back together for the office. Rep and his team worked hard and now i'm back up and running. I could not have asked for better customer support. By the way, the only way Rep was able to allocate his resources towards my project was an OK from the CEO, so rep was literally on the phone with the CEO and who okay his staffs' time. So the company has an empathetic leader, who allowed the allocation of much of his resources to rebuild my database. I would have lost all my patient's data, the appointments, the amount the they paid me, the existing treatment plans, the previous work done, it would have just been a disaster for my business, literally starting over with nothing. public service announcement: just because you run back ups doesn't mean you shouldn't physically test them to make sure you have access to the data. Back to Open Dental, the CEO and IT team lead by rep and saved my business, I'm extremely grateful. Again, Open Dental is a top notch company with top notch staff!!!!

Pros: Amazingly easy to use and constantly being updated with latest versions, you don't need to wait for a new full release, like some other dental software programs. Open dental techs just update your software with new features when they develop them. The software is free and the monthly IT fee is 110% worth it.

Cons: Its really difficult to find any cons with a software that is personalized. If you do find an issue, the IT team calls you back withing 10mins and there is almost nothing that they can't work out for you by use of screen sharing etc.

• Reviewed on 13/1/2019
Robert H.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 8/2/2017

"OUTSTANDING; SUPERB; FIRST RATE; TERRIFIC; NUMERO UNO. OPEN DENTAL IS THE BEST!!!"

Comments: We have been using Open Dental since 2009 and love the program. It is incredibly robust and does everything we need and more. Open Dental enabled us to become a paperless, chartless practice.
Customer support is second to none. They are extremely attentive to their customers needs. Updates are continually being released, not just once every year or more.
True story. I once called the customer support line. I reached their voice mail and since it was almost closing time I didn't bother to leave a message, I figured I would call back the next day. Well I'm sitting at my desk and the phone rings and I see it is area code 503. So I pick up and the person says, "This is Open Dental. How can we help you? I was blown away. I asked him how he know I called and he said he saw my number on their caller ID. Well, how many companies call you back even when you DIDN'T leave a message? That is how dedicated they are to customer satisfaction. Another time, I had a serious problem after a windows upgrade and couldn't get OD to work. They spent hours remotely working on my machine and escalated it to their top techies. And it was really a problem with Windows not Open Dental that caused the problem. No where else would you get that kind of service. I was so grateful for all their efforts I found a pizza place near them on the internet and ordered several pizzas and had them delivered. I don't know anybody who uses Open Dental who doesn't love the company and the software.

Pros: Extremely customizable. You can create queries and get just about any information you want out of the database. You can be truly paperless and chart-less. It doesn't take long to learn the ins and outs. The software is constantly being improved. They take suggestions and advice from their users and try to implement what the users ask for. They even have a system where you can vote on feature that you and other users post, and the ones with the most votes get the top priority. It is not expensive.

Cons: The are growing so fast I worry that they will lose some of the feeling of being a small, intimate company. So far that hasn't been a problem.

• Reviewed on 8/2/2017
Xochitl L.
  • Reviewed on 5/6/2018

"Great dental software."

Comments: You can use this to set up your office in a digital format. From patient forms to monthly reports. It works well with other programs, too.

Pros: It's open source, which I love, therefore, I'm able to change, adjust and add forms, lab slips, charting and much more. Reports are easy and the selection is great. The interface is user friendly and quick to learn. The fees are minimal, if desired to have support, to free. The are certain programs that can be purchased or added for a fee, mobile view, e-claims etc.

Cons: I don't like that only one section can be opened at a time. You can't have the patient chart and the schedule open at the same time.

by Open Dental Software on 7/6/2018

Thank you for the great review. Note that you mention that you can only open one section at a time. Some areas do allow this, but for the main windows that do not, simply open multiple instances. I always keep two instances open so that if I am about to check someone out, for instance, yet I want to work on another account or take incoming calls, I can do both at once!
(Nathan, CEO Open Dental)

• Reviewed on 5/6/2018
Rex S.
  • Reviewed on 18/5/2020

"Great Software at a Great Price!"

Comments: Open Dental has been great, and hoping to expand with the software as we open more offices. The features are in depth and offer us the abilty to use technology to stay current with innovations. Playing to use the 3D features and online appointments.

Pros: Open Dental has so many features, and the ability to add features with modules was a key reason we decided to go with them in a new clinic. The ability to network our entire system and not getting hit with expensies for needing multipe license was a strong reason for us to use Open Dental.

Cons: Not cloud based. Hoping that they move to a cloud based system in the near future. The security features of cloud based would really help us to stay HIPPA compliant without having to spend so much time securing data, backups, etc.

• Reviewed on 18/5/2020
Jennifer F.
owner dentist
Hospital & Health Care, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 5/12/2019

"Love open dental!"

Comments: Open Dental is one of the least expensive practice management softwares while also being the most thorough. Reports can be modified to your specifications and the software is very easy to use and learn.

Pros: Open dental is one of the most comprehensive practice management softwares for dental available. Everything for each patient is one one screen (unlike many others that have the medical history separate).

Cons: A lot of set up can be involved in order to make autonotes. While this is time consuming it is very worth it and saves time in the long run.

• Reviewed on 5/12/2019
Jennifer B.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/11/2019

"Open Dental"

Pros: Easy to use. All the information is easy to view from one patient screen.

Cons: Takes a bit of time to get use too, but what new software doesnt.

• Reviewed on 19/11/2019
Aubri J.
Office manager
  • Reviewed on 28/8/2019

"Dental Software for Real People"

Pros: So easy to use. Easy to learn. All questions can be answered with a simple google search. If not, you can call and the support team will call you right back with an answer. No spending hours on the phone on hold like with some other software companies.

Cons: Nothing, open dental is constantly improving their product.

• Reviewed on 28/8/2019
Chief Operating Officer, and HIPAA Privacy Officer
  • Reviewed on 8/3/2018

"Open Dental is an amazing piece of software, with excellent support and customization"

Comments: Much, much less time on hold for support. Much less reason to even call support. This program is incredibly well made, and just works. It's super easy to install, and it integrates with pretty much all of the imaging software that's out there. Make no mistake - you can not go wrong with Open Dental.

Pros: Being that this is an open source program for dental practice management, there are a wide variety of plug-ins and customization that are out there. Also, the support is amazing. Many of our clients use Open Dental, and we support it in our business. When you call for support, they'll remember your name, and there's barely any hold-time when comparing to Schein or Patterson, which can have 30+ minutes of hold time at times. Open Dental has a lot of reports that you can run as well, and it's easier in comparison to some of the competitors. This is by far our favorite dental practice management software, and we use and support all of them. The cost is fair as well. This software has incredible value.

Cons: There's not much I don't like about this software, since it's so easy to install and to use. I would say the biggest con, is that when people are changing software to open dental, there's a bit of a steep learning curve. However, that's true of all dental practice management software.

• Reviewed on 8/3/2018
Katelyn E.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 7/12/2016

"Easy software to use! Very clean layout!"

Comments: Treatment plans are simple to explain to the patient with the tooth chart! Very easy to use! The first software I ever used while training to be an office manager! Our doctor loved the price of the software!

Pros: Very easy to use! I had never worked in a dental office before and was trained to use Open Dental! Reports were very easy to get to for the Doctor!

Cons: The accounts were sometimes confusing to read, BUT the customer service was amazing to help us figure it all out!

by Open Dental Software on 8/12/2016

Thank you for your thoughtful review Katelyn. If anyone ever does have issues with our support, our management team, programmers and CEO (me) are available to be escalated to. -Nathan Sparks

• Reviewed on 7/12/2016
Hannah E.
Receptionist
  • Reviewed on 19/2/2020

"Overall great software"

Comments: Overall a great software that makes many of the tasks of a dental office more streamlined.

Pros: The vast amount of features allow for keeping as much of what we do in one program as possible. Scheduling is a breeze, keeping logs of communication between staff and patients is simple and easy to find, and its nice to be able to view imaging inside the same program that we enter chart notes.

Cons: The only issue I have with this software is the billing aspect. The way statements are structured with both payment plans and regular account info makes no sense to patients, and confusion over that accounts for a large portion of our calls.

• Reviewed on 19/2/2020
A L.
Principal
  • Reviewed on 6/12/2014

"One of the best."

Comments: Pro:
Open Dental (OD) is one of best dental practice management software (DPMS) with a very affordable cost. One license fee for the whole office instead of the per module, per workstation licensing scheme for other software. Once the initial license fee is paid, additional payments is for updating, not to keep operating the software (some DPMS have an expiry date which forces the user to pay the license fee for another period to keep operating it). Imagine shutting down your office or transferring to another DPMS and having to pay the license fee for the span of years required by law to have the charts available in case of board inquiry or file transfer to another office.
OD is updated frequently and has a feedback system to implement the most popular requests. The source code is available so if the company ever shuts down, the software will survive because other developers can assume development. It is also very robust and any glitches are quickly addressed in the next version. It doesn't need the most advanced hardware and can function relatively well will hardware that are 2-3 generations old. It doesn't need a full fledge server and can function in network peer to peer mode with Windows home (i.e. no domain) or in Server/client with different flavors of Windows server/Windows professional or ultimate (i.e. domain mode).
Con: no turnkey installation unless one has a secondary service company in the area who is familiar with the software. Familiarity with computer system would ease installation greatly.

• Reviewed on 6/12/2014
Lauren B.
office manager
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/1/2017

"Open dental"

Comments: I have enjoed the customization of this tool. The tech support has been better then I have experienced. My favorite aspect is that open dental is open source which makes it very flexible and robust in it's capacity.

Pros: Customization

Cons: So many functions I could use more training

• Reviewed on 31/1/2017
Nancy F.
office manage
  • Reviewed on 3/5/2018

"First time Open Dental User"

Comments: Their support team is great! Always pleasant and very friendly. I have never felt like I was being rushed when I had a problem and needed their help.

Pros: I like the fact that if I don't understand how to use a function, even after reading instructions in their help section, they have never once made me feel like a lesser person.

Cons: not being tech savvy enough to follow the directions for help and end up having to call support for help

• Reviewed on 3/5/2018
Registered Dental Hygienist
  • Reviewed on 19/12/2018

"Ease of patient care"

Comments: Open dental has helped keep positive patient experiences, and has helped with the flow of work. I was able to learn how to navigate this software in a week!

Pros: This software keeps patients information mostly in one location. It is easy to navigate compared to other dental software.

Cons: If you are using another software for patients to update their medical history, it does not sync well.

• Reviewed on 19/12/2018
Aubrey S.
Call Center Rep
  • Reviewed on 29/8/2017

"So easy a child could use it"

Comments: I came into the dental field knowing absolutely nothing about dentistry. Open dental makes it super easy to learn from and to navigate from task to task. We have other offices that use dentrix, and I can not stand trying to use that. Open dental is definitely the best for any dentist office.

Pros: Everything is color coordinated. It's very easy to use that my 2 year old could figure it out. It's like connect the dots but for dental.

Cons: Support some times can be slow in responding to our needs when the systems go down, but it is very rare when this happens and when it does, I completely understand because they always end up fixing it within the 24-48 hour time frame.

• Reviewed on 29/8/2017
Hospital & Health Care, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/11/2018

"Solid and easy to use!"

Comments: Haven’t had any problems and it runs smooth!

Pros: It’s easy to find my way around. It integrates well w Dexis.

Cons: W this last update there is a pop up that shows up when leaving a pts chart that is annoying.

• Reviewed on 28/11/2018
Ashley T.
Credentialing Administrator
Medical Practice, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 6/12/2017

"Open Dental software is amazing and EASY to use!! Love the software"

Comments: I love this software and the customer support is friendly and well knowledged.

Pros: Easy to navigate and use. The easiest software to learn for anyone in the dental field. I call Open Dental the "Software for Dummies"

• Reviewed on 6/12/2017
Hannah H.
Call Center Mananger
Medical Practice, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 9/6/2017

"Open Dental is highly Recommended"

Pros: Open Dental is very easy to navigate. I have used other softwares Eaglesoft and Dentrix. Eaglesoft is very similar to Open Dental. Dentrix has a 1 Star rating compared to Open Dental. Open Dental has a up to date look and the features are non comparison to others. You would have to see for yourself. The ease of setting templates to your schedules, adding patients, viewing notes, creating reports, the list can go on and on.

Cons: This could be a server problem but we have a very large company and when connecting remotely from another location the system runs very slow.

• Reviewed on 9/6/2017
Kandhappan P.
51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 5/8/2016

"OpenDental is the best software out there"

Comments: I have been using open dental for almost 12 years now and It comes across as the most configurable and customizable dental software.If someone couldn't figure out how to customise a flexible software could only be attributed to the lack of motivation or ability to put into good use, a strong workhorse

Pros: You name it -Once the modules are customised as per the Practices requirements then it is a breeze
Has almost all the features any dentist could ask for and are upgrading on daily basis

Cons: Yes they have some features, which are in the process of being implemented through time

• Reviewed on 5/8/2016
Amber R.
Dentist/owner
  • Reviewed on 9/11/2017

"We love what OpenDental offers!"

Comments: We tell people to make the switch to OpenDental all the time!

Pros: Everything—the support is awesome. The software is always adapting to what dentists need in ways that actually benefit them and the program isn’t bloated with a bunch of “features” that aren’t useful.

Cons: I hate to complain because there’s not too much to complain about... but we don’t love that you can’t edit the hours on the schedule to only start at 6 or 7 AM and end at 6 PM. Again... petty.

• Reviewed on 9/11/2017
David R.
  • Reviewed on 21/8/2017

"Compared to the other major programs, OD is easy to use, inexpensive and takes very little computer power."

Pros: Ease of use. Almost anyone can use it with minimal training. Very intuitive and well laid out. Works on any computer.

• Reviewed on 21/8/2017