15 years helping Irish businesses

About Bluebeam Revu

AECO professionals worldwide trust Bluebeam construction software to help them reduce risk, maximize ROI, and finish projects faster.

Learn more about Bluebeam Revu

Pros:

I like all the features and the integration capabilities. Bluebeam integrates with many other softwares which makes it a one-stop-shop to maximize its utility.

Cons:

Printing from it seams to be a problem for our field manager sometimes.

Bluebeam Revu ratings

4.3
4.3
4.6
4.5

8.9/10

Bluebeam Revu has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 962 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Bluebeam Revu before?

Kelsey
Kelsey
Project Manager in US

Top PDF Viewer/Editor Program on Market

Comments: Overall, great experience with Bluebeam Revu. Been a customer for the past 5 years. Never looked back or started looking for another program. Bluebeam has made my work quite simpler. Once you learn the basics, this program is so simple to do quick field measurements, combine/edit files, markup pdf's, extract pages to separate files and so many more functions that I have still to learn.

Pros:

So many functions that are pertinent to the construction industry that I can use on a daily basis from viewing files to doing quick measurements to editing files to combining or converting to and from PDF files. One very big pro about Bluebeam is the customer service. I had a laptop die on me and it locked out my bluebeam account. I contacted customer support and within a few hours, they unlocked my account for me to register on my new laptop. I thought that was absolutely incredible with the quick turnaround on my Bluebeam license.

Cons:

Probably my biggest con for Bluebeam is the cost of the software. It is a little pricey, little higher than competitors. But well worth it if you use this program on a daily basis.

Joshua
Transportation Engineer in Canada
Civil Engineering, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Amazing PDF reader, better than Adobe Acrobat. Very useful engineering tools

Comments: This is the fastest tool when it comes to drawing review, pdf document creation and control, and diagram creation. The tools at your disposal allow you to do many things which other programs do not. I would recommend this software over any other PDF reader.

Pros:

Very handy and intuitive engineering tools, you can mark up drawings, get measurements and estimate quantities very easily. The drawings tools are also very useful, allowing for easy creation of clean diagrams. The PDF tools are powerful and I have completely phased out Adobe Acrobat in favour of using Bluebeam.

Cons:

The only downside I have come across is the inability to created lines of fixed length, you have to create a measurement and then create a line to match the measurement.

JEFFREY
JEFFREY
CEO in US
Construction, 2–10 Employees

Great software-Terrible customer service

Comments: The customer service-technical help is just horrendous. Their 'technicians' are just phone operators, many with very bad attitudes (if I worked for a company with these policies I'd be grumpy too!) but read on... Anything beyond the very basics like opening the program or setting up menus are completely beyond their abilities. To make matters MUCH worse they have no escalation policy at all. Read that again; a SOFTWARE company has zero escalation policy. Who you get, regardless of whether they can actually answer your question, is who you get (I was TOLD this -it's recorded too- by an operator! If they don't know something (most of the time) they put you on hold for 5-10 minutes while they go ask someone who supposedly does. Invariably there is a follow up question (or more likely, they just have the wrong answer) and so they put you on hold for ANOTHER 10 minutes. When you ask to be transferred to the person they obviously keep putting you on hold to ask, you are rebuffed. Ask harder, in fact DEMAND to be connected to a qualified tech often enough and they will revoke your service contract. Read that again, if you complain too much they will FIRE YOU instead of fix their internal problems! Eventually I was able to work out an 'email only' connection to a senior tech who actually HAS the answers, but by revoking my service, they also robbed me of my updates so I can't even benefit from all the work I've put into helping them improve their product.

Pros:

It is hands down the most powerful PDF editor available today. As of v. 2018.6 they have fixed MOST of the issues that made it crash (but not quite all) and I can operate this software for an average of 9 hours a day without too much cursing at the screen. Takeoff is WYSIWYG and once you learn the product, very adaptable to whatever way you like to work. Another terrific feature is the 'slipped plans' feature where you can slipp addendum plans together with existing plans and transfer all of your current takeoff without loss. No other takeoff software allows this kind of functionality. The ability to automatically generate 'links' within the drawings (from flags to the correct page indicated by the flag) is also very valuable. Other programs DO provide this, but Bluebeam is much more accurate and faster.

Cons:

The exporting function. Only allows limited functionality (.csv .xml .pdf and print) and Nemetschek refuses to work with us to provide access to the API so we can truly integrate the takeoff with our ERP system. It functions but it could be SO much more. The tech help was TERRIBLE! First, they refuse to help unless you grant them remote access to your machine ( I won't). Then they cant actually do their job. See below for a full description;

Eddie
Senior Project Manager in US
Construction, 51–200 Employees

Bluebeam is a cost effective alternative to other PDF Editors in the construction world

Pros:

Cost effectiveness and ease of use compared to other editors.

Cons:

Some tools are less sophisticated than other editors on the market but overall worth it in terms of cost.

Construction, 11–50 Employees

tons of features, faily easy to use

Comments: I use this program almost daily for work and find it to be faily simple, mostly reliable, and with all the features I could hope for without being crazy complex.

Pros:

Lots of useful features. Easy to merge documents and edit files. Lots of editing tools, and once all that's done, you can also reduce file size to allow the file to compress and be small enough to attach to emails.

Cons:

Certain updates make it very glitchy and it will freeze frequently on me. Other updates are perfectly fine. Seems they issue a revised update fairly quickly when these issues occur.

Amy
Project Coordinator in US

Bluebeam Revu

Comments: I was a little hesitant at first when my company switched from Adobe to Bluebeam, but now that I have gotten use to the program I would never want to go back to Adobe.

Pros:

It's easy to mark up PDF files. In the construction industry, we make markups on blueprints and submittals. It's also easy for material take-offs with the measuring tools.

Cons:

I still haven't been satisfied with all the toolbars and their locations. I have a tool bar on the top, side and bottom and I haven't figured out how to make it so I can just show the tools that I use the most.

Hospital & Health Care, 51–200 Employees

Bluebeam - a complete pdf pack

Comments: If tour are typical and Adobe or Foxit user, just try the Bluebeam revu. It owns some unique pdf features you will definitely to love.

Pros:

There are so many PDf readers and editors available on the market with restricted features, and Bluebeam covers almost each and every feature. Its user friendly for editing ad commenting on PDF & almost can get accurate values for measuring the distances. Text recognizing mechanism (OCR) almost accurate for every scenario. The inbuilt converter helps us to convert our PDFs to other formats hassle-free.

Cons:

I really dont have any cons regarding Bluebeam revu. It's a fantastic and complete tool for all your pdf needs. It's worth the money.

Gloria
Human Resources Manager in US

Bluebeam Revu raving results

Pros:

Once I learned how to use it there was no going back to Adobe. Blue Beam has management tools that improve review speed and accuracy.

Cons:

Thelearning curve if you really want to use the product the correct way.

Gregg
Gregg
President/CEO in US

Move Over Adobe, Bluebeam is Better

Comments: A great alternative to Adobe…much more user friendly and affordable.

Pros:

Bluebeam has better features and is easier to use than Adobe. The cost is much less when you consider payments are not indefinite.

Cons:

Nothing bad to report. Bluebeam is far superior to Adobe. So far we have not found any flaws in the software.

Ben
technical coordinator in UK

Blue beam review

Comments: very good for certain things without having to open up cad

Pros:

take off made easy and not having to print anything off

Cons:

the task bars seem very confusing and time-consuming to setup

Aditya
Civil Designer in US
Civil Engineering, 10,000+ Employees

The best software for engineers!

Comments: I am very satisfied with the BlueBeam and its capabilities. It makes my work more manageable and accessible.

Pros:

BlueBeam supports many different file formats compared to Adobe Reader. It can open Image files and can open Internet browser through it. This makes it one stop solution station for multiple problems. It reduces workload. BlueBeam allows sessions that can be used by multiple organizations and trades and same time. This save project budget and time.

Cons:

BlueBeam can not open 2 online sessions at same time. In order to that, you have to exit out of one session to access another. This is time consuming and unnecessary.

chandra
electrical designer in India
Civil Engineering, 5,001–10,000 Employees

best for pdf viewer in modeling

Comments: its very good. uses daily, its very compatible with AutoCAD Revit and other software's where its gives best pdf viewer experience and editing marking or comment session. best options are availed to make changes for document. security is high. content is preserved.

Pros:

any changes in the pdf it can be preserved with the owner with date and time itself. Variety of pdf editing options like text editing . marking highlight and work sharing with others. its can be operated with number of other software's to make pdf and print setting.

Cons:

nothing much but its taking some time to load file at starting of opening.

Danielle
Commercial Coordinator in US
Construction, 5,001–10,000 Employees

I can't live without Bluebeam

Comments: I honestly love Blue beam I was only using Adobe about 5 1/2 years ago and my supervisor made me start using Bluebeam and told me you will learn to love and not be able to use anything else, well he was right.

Pros:

I love being able to mark up documents, measure them, sign them all in once place. I use bluebeam every hour of the day and it makes my job easier.

Cons:

I don't like when their are updates that are taking place and it causes me to not be able to use some functions or certain features stop working correctly due to the update needed.

Nathan
Client Service Represenative in US

The Third Hand

Comments: We have designers that draw projects with a different program. Once that project is drawn, it gets sent to all the personal that need to look at it and use it for their specific tasks. BlueBeam makes it so I can get my notes and my measurements fast and easy. For example, when I am with a client making siding selection, I can add the note right on the plan with there Text tab. Simple and easy. When they want to change a window location, neat, crisp lines can be drawn to show were it should go. Bluebeam also helps me daily when I receive PDF documents from vendors or suppliers.

Pros:

It is my go-to program to look at and edit PDF's. When one has to measure something, its easy to use and easy to give accurate information to the project managers, vendors, & suppliers. Easy to add notes and clean up PDF's to make them look and say the things you want. Like the fact my toolbox is saved and can be used over and over. While I was filling this out, a sub called and asked a question about a plan. I used Revu to answer the question because its quick and easy to get the information they are looking for.

Cons:

Learning the way the Revu works takes time. Once you figure it out, its great though. I had to have someone else that had used Revu before set up my toolbox and headers because trying to do it myself was taking so long. Mostly that is my own fault but getting a program tailored to yourself should not be hard to set up. There is not much I don't like about the this program.

Director of Project Management
Construction, 201–500 Employees

Bluebeam Revu is to construction professionals what Excel is to finacial professionals

Comments: More than any other software package, Bluebeam is by far the most valuable to me in my daily work. Thanks Bluebeam!

Pros:

I have been using BB Revu PDF software since 2010, when I switched from Adobe Professional. Revu is designed for construction personnel. I use it for reviewing documents and drawings, marking up, sketching, quantity take off, illustrating, presentations, flowchart and Org Chart creations - just almost everything. I convert word documents to PDF for reviewing. I add bookmarks as way-finder through large documents such as Specifications, Reports and Specifications etc. For drawing reviews or study, I compile large packs of PDF drawings into single PDF with drawing numbers visible under Bookmarks. With Revu you can have 2 (or more)drawings opened on your screen, from within the combined pack or separate files, for comparing eg Elevations and Sections or plans or details. Sometimes I use the auto compare feature in comparing updated drawing with an older version where the differences will be highlighted. The Search feature is extremely useful and I use it a lot in finding references in Specifications Codes and Reports etc. The Spaces feature is really good and impresses hugely when included within presentations. Signature feature also excellent. I use the Add Ins for Outlook, Word, Excel and CAD regularly. I find the Help Section and Bluebeam University incredible. The Developers really put themselves in the place of the "normal" user and provide excellent vide demos of all the features.

Cons:

File sizes generated in marking up and sketching tend to be quite large. There are ways to reduce the file size but they do not work all the time - sometimes they increase the size.I have tried a few times to engage design consultants in the use of the Studio feature for real-time online collaboration without success. This is however is not the fault of the Studio feature - its just that the designers did not have the software.

Andrew
Principal Architect in US
Architecture & Planning, 2–10 Employees

Expensive but worth it

Comments: Its the best product in the business for the category it serves. I think much like Autodesk, Bluebeam hates is customers. It is a difficult company to do business with from deployment on down through support. Even with that said, I can't imagine trying to work without it. What are you going to do?

Pros:

This software handles any and all PDF tasks for us. It also can be used for photo/file manipulation. The collaboration feature allows for real time multi-user edits which has proven useful for remote workers

Cons:

I dislike the fact that the software is now only offered as a subscription purchase. We have historically bought standalone licenses. We would get 2-4 years out of the license before bluebeam quit supporting it or required us to upgrade. Now we spend even more money for each seat and we get to pay it every year. I guess they took a page out of the Autodesk playbook.

Chase
Chase
Structural Engineer in US
Building Materials, 11–50 Employees

Easy to use. Lot of functionality.

Comments: Quickly and easily edit PDFs. More powerful and functional than most of the basic PDF applications available. Merge documents from a Windows Explorer window.

Pros:

Bluebeam has a lot of buttons and features out-of-the-box. The default layout is intuitive. Quickly and easily add text, highlights, shapes, callouts, and lines to PDFs. The buttons for rotating the page are readily available. Taking snapshots/copies, cropping, and other editing functions are easy. Bluebeam has measurement tools so you can easily get dimensions off of plans. There are tons of keyboard shortcuts and "toolboxes" that allow you to perform repetitive tasks quickly. Customize stamps to create signatures or other repetitive text like "Reviewed By..." or dynamic shop drawing stamps (like "Make Corrections Noted"). Flatten tool allow you to lock your edits into place. Security features are also available. Bluebeam also allows you to merge/staple multiple sheets together and further manipulate pages within a document.

Cons:

Bluebeam provides a lot of functionality, but depending on your needs you may be able to use something cheaper and less functional. You should weigh your need for a tool like this. The "Staple" function for combining files within a Windows Explorer window/menu could be a little simpler. It currently brings up a dialogue box that is overly complicated and not intuitive. Other software like Adobe Acrobat allow you to do this much easier with only a few mouse clicks.

Eric
Principal in US
Architecture & Planning, 2–10 Employees

Grew too fast

Comments: At one time I was a passionate advocate for Bluebeam and recommended it to many people in person and online in organizations I am part of. Things are not what they used to be, they cannot seem to keep up with software updates and making the program functional without major crashes and problems with all of the platforms I have worked on in the last 4 years.

Pros:

Bluebeam was the most fully inclusive pdf editor and set building software for the AEC industry. They took off fast and implemented wonderful tools. It appears they have grown to fast and are now not able to support the software and apps they have released. I had Bluebeam for Mac-they have discontinued, I have Bluebeam for iPad-almost unusable because of crashes and unknown problems they cannot fix. Now I have Bluebeam for pc and trying to buy a license but they are down. Too bad as it was a great software and hopefully they can get things together and stay viable.

Cons:

See pros above. Sad to see this company falling apart.

Ana
Architectural designer in US
Architecture & Planning, 201–500 Employees

Easy document based collaboration

Pros:

This is an easy to use cloud based document storage that is accessible live by team members to mark up with a robust tool chest. Any type of document management, from idea brainstorming to architectural drawing set review, is easy to do in this program. It is also easy to track others’ or your own mark ups in the document, and set a status to the mark ups like completed or incomplete or in need of discussion. You can also alert a team member to a mark. The bluebeam session feature of revu is simple yet powerful. The bluebeam project feature is similar but is based on the idea of each sheet of a document being easy to check in or out by a team member, and mark up or replace back into the larger document.

Cons:

I wish there was an easier way to swap out a document or sheet without losing the comments and their properties. I also wish there was a homepage feature for a project that teams could add milestone information, weekly or monthly tasks, and sort your notifications by priority that are within the bluebeam session.

Michael S.
Mechanical Engineer in US
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 201–500 Employees

PDF Viewer For Engineering

Comments: Overall my experience has been very good. This software basically adds a lot of technical components for PDFs. For example, if you want to sign off on documents, or stamp them with approvals, you can do that easily through Bluebeam.

Pros:

The number of functions and versatility of Bluebeam is very good. For my engineering job, Bluebeam is a godsend to be able to mark up documents, sign drawings, flatten documents, import/export other files, etc, etc, etc. I used to use Adobe, but functionality-wise, it is no comparison. If you are going to be working with a lot of PDF's and need technical functions, I think Bluebeam is the way to go.

Cons:

I just switched to Bluebeam 2018 from 2016 and there seems to be some bugs. It crashed on me today which it never crashed on me in 2016. I'm hoping an updated can get 2018 working as smoothly as 2016. Besides that, the only thing that I didn't like is that just like with other complex softwares, there are so many functions that it is easy for one to feel overwhelmed by the software. There is a learning curve but after repeated use you can't go back.

Alan
US
Used the Software for: Not provided

The software I never knew I needed

Comments: I'm speaking of Revu primarily from a project engineer perspective, working with multi-discipline teams located across the country. Anytime we used to receive a submittal or RFI that requires multi-discipline coordination, you could guarantee that it would be weeks before it was returned. The typical workflow was that only one person had the file at a time, a check-out/check-in kind of system. It would work its way down the chain until all disciplines had a chance to review. For example, an elevator submittal would have to go through Arch to ensure finishes/layout, structural to approve supports and angles, mechanical, electrical, and fire protection for power, machinery, equipment, and sprinklers. By the time each person had a moment to review the submittal, a month could have easily gone by. Then came Bluebeam Revu. All of a sudden I had the ability to create these studio sessions...what a godsend. In an industry where lead times are everything, getting submittal/RFIs back quickly is of paramount importance. So we created accounts for all of our team members and now anytime I receive a submittal that requires multi-discipline coordination, I create a Bluebeam Session with the file uploaded to it. I add all the team members that need to review it to the session and sit back and watch the show. We typically schedule a 1-hour review block where all team members hop onto the session and a conference call and we all review the file CONCURRENTLY. The beauty of Bluebeam software is all the included tools for markups and dimensioning which come absolutely FREE in the "reader" version Bluebeam Vu. So while I pay for my Revu license, all my team members get to access the studio session from a reader they can install for free on their personal computers at home.
All markups are tracked by Bluebeam and an ID is attached to each markup so that I can identify who wrote what. It's amazing software. What used to take weeks of being stuck in the pipeline, now gets turned around in a day or two.
In addition to sessions, I also take advantage of creating sets for my design team and keep track of all revisions using Bluebeam Revu's smart tagging and revision tracking. Add to that Bluebeam's integration with software like ProjectWise, Outlook, and all Autodesk software, and you've got a serious workhorse on your hands.
Revu is more than a simple PDF editor, it is an invaluable tool in the design-construction world. It

Hammam
Civil Engineer in Jordan

Streamlining Construction Projects with Bluebeam

Pros:

Bluebeam is an exceptional software solution that offers a wide range of benefits for construction professionals and project managers. One of its most notable features is the ability to perform takeoffs from PDF files, which can be a time-consuming and labor-intensive task when done manually. Bluebeam makes it easy to perform takeoffs from PDF files, allowing users to accurately calculate the quantities of materials required for a project. This can help to reduce errors and ensure that the project is completed on time and within budget.

Cons:

Some users have reported performance issues with Bluebeam, such as slow processing times or crashes. While these issues are not common, they can be frustrating when they do occur.

Angelo
Estimating Manager in Canada
Construction, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Solution for all levels of users

Comments: Bluebeam is the best PDF software that I have used, it's easy to do basic functions like merge, cut, reduce file size etc. and also has additional functions such as measurement and markups for drawings which we use a lot of in construction.

Pros:

Easy to use basic features, lots of extras that may or may not be required. Customizable options boxes and layouts are a nice feature.

Cons:

Took a while to customize layout, which options to show/hide. There are a lot of tools (not a bad thing, but overwhelming at first)

Edwin
Edwin
BIM Consultant, Building Performance and Structural Technical Specialist in Canada
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Bluebeam Revu is a fantastic product for viewing, editing and extracting information from PDF files

Comments: There are too many efficiency gains to list, but the main ones are automation of repetitive tasks, ability to add an "intelligence" layer (almost like a spreadsheet) to PDFs, the ability to collaborate in real time and make edits to existing pdfs. In the Architecture Engineering and Construction world, this product is king.

Pros:

The toolbox is underrated, but it completely sets Revu apart from any other pdf viewer/editors available. It is easy to use, easy to distribute, reliable. Editing is also great for minor edits as well as spotting spelling mistakes. Extracting information from sheets is a breeze as well as the OCR feature if you have the Extreme version. Studio sessions which are also underutilized are a real game changer for real time collaboration.

Cons:

The latest release saw some radical changes away from a ribbon-type interface into something more traditional. I have found many tools harder to find and am not convinced of any productivity gains as a result of the interface change.

Cody
Architectural Designer in US
Architecture & Planning, 51–200 Employees

Bluebeam Revu - PDF Productivity

Comments: Bluebeam Revu is a terrific tool for processing and editing large documents - ie drawing sets, books, etc., but it's not necessary for smaller pdf viewing/reading tasks. Other pdf editng software are now also quick to provide similar tools in their software so Bluebeam is not the only option.

Pros:

Revu made giant leaps for editing and processing pdf's when Adobe and other pdf readers had only viewing and basic editing features. When used properly, Bluebeam Revu can make navigating large documents a breeze. With software plugins for Autodesk Revit, sorting and organizing large sets of documents can be automated from the start, saving lots of time. Drawing and marking up documents in Revu are also a serious plus.

Cons:

Newer versions of Bluebeam Revu come with tons of editing tools and features in "toolboxes". There are so many tools and toolboxes, there is now certainly a learning curve before using it to its full potential. Also due to the large amount of tools, loading time for large files and for graphics to present on screen have become longer.