Lightspeed Retail Reviews

• Overall
    4.2 /5
    4.3 /5
    4.2 /5

About Lightspeed Retail

This cloud-based POS centralizes inventory management, employee management, sales reporting & accounting across locations and channels.

Learn more about Lightspeed Retail

Steve J.
  • Reviewed on 20/1/2021

"A great all-inclusive system"

Comments: Our industry was using a server-based software which was cumbersome and VERY outdated. Switching to Lightspeed has allowed me to more easily fulfil online orders, process transactions remotely, and communicate with our customer base more effectively.

Pros: Integration across POS, eCommerce, Accounting, Data Analytics is excellent. We have been able to increase both sales and efficiency with this system. The accounting feature and its daily export to QuickBooks allows me to spend only a few minutes each day keeping books up to date. It certainly makes year-end a breeze. Lightspeed Analytics is an invaluable resource for forecasting and identifying areas of opportunity. Customer support is available 24/7 and if they aren't able to answer my question immediately, I have received a timely follow-up within a day or two.

Cons: There are some work-arounds that I have implemented. It would be nice to have the option for recurring billing and serial number tracking (not just adding a serial number to an item) as well as a better protocol for backordered items on Purchase Orders.

• Reviewed on 20/1/2021
Andrew D.
Manging Partner
Apparel & Fashion, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/12/2020

"Packs some punch among the punchless"

Comments: We are a 40 year Brick and Mortar AND E-commerce company that carries 1000s of unique skus. Needing a software that is heavier than just the POS is essential. Inventory management and the ability to integrate with E-commerce was a non-negotiable for my next POS.
Lightspeed does have some frequent, mostly minor bugs, it is nice that they constantly update and enhance their program. There often seems to be a disconnect between software designers and the retail experience, but this program bridges the data management needed to go with the point of sale functionality.
Product management has been efficient. Customer service has been very helpful via telephone or chat and are always available which is nice. Even better, the amounts of time to need to contact customer service is minimal. After one year of use, I can say I use this program with confidence and I believe it packs the punch needed to handle scale.

Pros: Customer Support is included and accessible
Intuitive
Useful for heavy amounts of inventory
Cloud Based
Accessible via multiple operating systems
Integrated with Cayan for seamless transition from my previous POS
Has extensions that enable enhanced reporting, loyalty and ecommerce integration
Updates are included

Cons: Frequently Buggy
UX issues at times
E-commerce integration is through third party
Advanced Reporting is an additional cost and is still poorly designed and buggy
Long waits for Customer Support
Widespread Outages do Occur

• Reviewed on 28/12/2020
Sr. Analyst
Hospital & Health Care, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 1/5/2020

"Best POS System in the Business"

Comments: We had two separate Retail POS systems in our organization. One was so antiquated it had to be replaced and the second one was experiencing issues everyday and the support was lousy. We purchased LightSpeed. I had the Retail Operators go through the setup videos and make decisions on how they wanted to setup the system based on the videos. Then, when the Operators completed their training, I had them configure LightSpeed themselves based on what they learned and the decisions they made. We then entered the inventory and the rest is history. I would recommend LightSpeed to anyone looking for a retail POS no matter what size.

Pros: I have installed numerous POS systems in my 30+ years of experience. LightSpeed is by far the most comprehensive system, yet easiest system to implement and use. There support mechanism is second to none. If you look your question up in help, there will be documentation to answer your question, and chances are there is a video that walks you step by step through the solution. If you feel like you want to get live help, there chat mechanism is one of the best, better yet, the support people on the chat are the most patient and knowledgeable support people in the business. Simply the best.

Cons: I don't have any comments for this section

• Reviewed on 1/5/2020
Dave L.
Owner / Head Meeple
  • Reviewed on 22/6/2018

"Fantastic Inventory Management"

Comments: We've been open a little over three years. When we first opened, we explored over a dozen Point of Sale systems including Revel, Shopkeep, Vend, Lightspeed Retail, Square, and several others. We decided on Lightspeed, but discovered they didn't have a clear roadmap for Apple Pay, and so we went with our second choice, Shopkeep. Shopkeep was fantastic for the first year, but as our inventory grew (we carry over 10,000 unique SKUs), it's inventory management features started to feel sluggish, and receiving orders each week started to take a significant amount of time. During our second year, we started reevaluating all the players again, and setup a trial account with Lightspeed Retail. Certain things seemed counter intuitive at first - if we mistakenly created an item, we couldn't simply delete it, for example. This is because Lightspeed Retail strives to preserve all financial and transactional data; since an item could contain a sales history, it can't be deleted. Instead, it's archived, and can be restored to visibility with the click of a button. Over time, we've come to appreciate this feature, and the sheer amount of data that is provided through the system. Inventory Counts can be done quickly - grab an iPad and a bar code scanner, and just start scanning items on your slat wall, shelf, or other display area. When you're done, you can review the counts, reconcile them, and get information on shrinkage, etc. Acquiring product and receiving it is a breeze. We can build our POs in Lightspeed Retail - using trigger points or by simply adding items to an open PO. We can then email that PO directly to our distributor, who processes it. When the items come in, we can quickly receive them either using a barcode scanner, keying in the item counts line by line, or doing a visual confirmation and clicking the "receive everything and do the right thing" buttons. Printing labels with barcodes is a breeze. What really sets Lightspeed apart is their service. I can honestly say that I have no idea how to setup the label printer on our Lightspeed system, because whenever we install a new laptop or desktop that needs access, I simply chat with Lightspeed support and they remote into our system and do the right thing. When we set our printer up the first time, the print was a little too far to the left for my liking. They tweaked the templates on the fly, with me offering help like "No, a little more to the right" until it was done. They're insanely helpful.

Pros: - Excellent Purchase Order Workflow
- Easy tool to do inventory counts quickly
- (Beta) Import Tool makes it easy to bulk load new items, or update existing ones
- Supports custom fields to add additional information to items (Release Dates, for example)
- Phone and online support is fantastic

Cons: - May seem pricey if you aren't leveraging all the features
- Limited barcode scanner compatibly
- Custom fields are not currently searchable

• Reviewed on 22/6/2018
  • Reviewed on 17/1/2019

"Transferring from Onsite to Retail after nearly 10 years of service.."

Pros: We have been using Lightspeed POS systems since 2008. As we made our transition from Onsite to the Cloud based server in the Summer of 2018, Lightspeed has gone the extra mile to make sure that their product worked with our relatively unique business. Although not without its stumbles along the way, The reps have gone out of their way to make sure that we are well prepared for whatever may come our way. Both the reps follow-through, attention to detail, and never-ending patience have been exemplary.

Cons: There were some aspects of Retail that were told to us as if they were included, but we soon realized many of the benefits of Retail are add-ons (aka cost extra money) and needed to be heavily jerry rigged to work for our specific business. A lot of small yet important issues, like record keeping of outgoing emails with receipts, or the ability to change a purchase after it has been completed. We used to be able to edit invoices on Onsite, and now even an owner, admin or manager does not have that option. Furthermore, if a customer decides to ship their purchase after it has completed, there is no way to alter the invoice to make it so. Or that we cannot use any of the same labels or gift cards that we once used with Onsite. There are just many small things that were not made clear that we would be losing when we moved over

• Reviewed on 17/1/2019
Sam Y.
Building Materials, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2/8/2019

"Best value & functionaility point of sale. Period."

Comments: Overall it's been wonderful. Certainly has made my slow business growth possible.

Pros: Absolutely the BEST thing about Lightspeed is the quick access to knowledgeable support. Also, Lightspeed meets the needs of my business's work flow. The interface is clean and easy to navigate.

Cons: That a default option is not available for adding a drop ship address to PO.

• Reviewed on 2/8/2019
Jessica O.
  • Reviewed on 20/11/2019

"Wouldn't Ever Use Anything Else"

Pros: It's easy out of the box to understand. If you have any computer literacy, it's super easy to navigate. Onboarding team members is easy, special orders are a breeze. I love the back door integration to Mail Chimp.

Cons: There are a few glitches. When I update prices in a Purchase Order, they don't update in the original item which means my margins are slightly off.

Travis C.
Sporting Goods, 2-10 Employees

"Great Customer Service"

Comments: We have been very happy with Lightspeed for nearly 10 years and felt as we have grown with them.
Customer support has always been great.

Pros: Adding new features constantly
Ease of use
Cloud based Retail is great as it syncs instantaneously with eCom
eCom is very easy to use with tons of features
Analytics is fantastic and helps with easy reporting
Customer service has always been top notch. We have been with them for over 10 years and always impressed with support.

Cons: Still feel Retail can work on inventory management with serial numbers a little better.
Would love to see a invoice option for Retail instead of Receipts.

John W.
General Manager
Sporting Goods, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/9/2019

"Lightspeed Retail POS"

Comments: With Lightspeed's eCom we found the solution we were searching for. Real time updates and the ease to upload inventory is just amazing. We also needed an interface with Quickbooks accounting software. With the Quickbooks interface, we reduced daily accounting hours by almost 60%!

Pros: I like the flexibility of the POS software. As the General Manager and the one who chose the software, I was often contacted by an employee that needed help. As a cloud based software, I can log in with my Ipad, Laptop, or my phone to help them.
Their 24/7 helpline is amazing...Other software companies, especially those on the east coast that aren't 24/7 are a real pain to deal with on the west coast.

Cons: My only wish is that Lightspeed had a "Trade-In" tab to make trade-ins easier.

• Reviewed on 13/9/2019
Teresa N.
Executive Admin/Bookstore Manager
Religious Institutions, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/12/2019

"Staying relevant"

Comments: Accounting

Pros: It's easy to use for first time retail cashiers.

Cons: How long it takes to capture and/or locate a customer in order to attach them to a sale.

• Reviewed on 12/12/2019
Assad K.
Franchise Owner
Restaurants, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/3/2019

"How Lightspeed will help improve your business."

Comments: It's been great, I recommend others to use it. I haven't looked back. No system is perfect but what sets Lightspeed apart is the willingness of the company to gather feedback and look to continuously improve their product.

Pros: With Lightspeed each and every order is entered with 100% accuracy, so you don't have to worry about wrong items or amounts being entered. And with their integrated system you can manage your inventory, and analyze your sales patterns. All because Lightspeed gives you sophisticated and detailed sales reports at your fingertips all while saving time and money and reducing costs. This will not only improve efficiencies but your sales will help you come up with better competitive ideas in your business.

Cons: Their website didn't have video tutorials on how to use their software on the more advanced stuff, but after communicating with tech support within a few minutes I was able to understand and master the interface.

• Reviewed on 23/3/2019
Ray D.
Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/5/2018

"1 year in and Extremely Pleased"

Comments: After being with our (old) POS vendor for almost 10 years it was hard to just jump ship and switch to a new vendor. I was hesitant. After speaking with their sales team and they answered question after question, I felt confident. We are now fully integrated with both our POS store and online retail presence. This has been the exact solution we've been wanting for all these years.

Pros: 1) Support, support, support. A product is only as good as the support that's behind it. IMO, we've had issues during the day and at almost 12 midnight where I had to call HelpDesk for support an issue. Not only was a Ticket # created for me, it was followed up with an email, and they made sure that my issue was resolved. This has been worth every bit. A+ in this area.
2) No software to install. So if you want to run this on a PC, laptop, Apple computer, or even Linux ... sure. All you need to do is make sure that you can print (receipts).
3) Ease of use. The online portal is extremely easy to use and navigate.

Cons: 1) If the internet goes down, you are dead in the water. Obviously, because the product is based online. Sometimes when there is an outage in our area we just have to ask our customers to pay with cash or checks.
2) It is pricier. Although I do realize that this is Cadillac, I'm not paying for an old Tercel anymore.
3) Reports. The reports section can be a little daunting and confusing, but once you understand which report(s) you need then getting to it is no problem.

• Reviewed on 29/5/2018
Andrew W.
Co-owner
  • Reviewed on 27/3/2020

"Robust and Intuitive"

Comments: Overall, the technical and sales support have been superb, always able and willing to help and follow-up.

Pros: Lightspeed Retail works on a variety of hardware platforms, including desktop/laptop computers, tablets, and, in a pinch, our mobile devices. It makes tracking inventory between multiple locations easy, as well as receiving and tracking orders. Most importantly, it is intuitive and easy to train staff to use, something that saves our business valuable time and focus. Great reporting that continues to get better.

Cons: I wish the eCom platform could track inventory from multiple locations and that it had seamless accounting integration (specifically with Quickbooks). But with the advances the company makes every year, I believe those may be on the horizon!

• Reviewed on 27/3/2020
Brianne R.
Executive Strategist
  • Reviewed on 16/1/2020

"Ideal for retail apparel & manufacturing company"

Comments: Inventory and customer management were the big game changes for us, before this we had many decentralized systems that didn't talk to each other.

Pros: Great all-in-one system for sales, employee and customer management, gift cards, inventory, purchase orders, and more! Exporting to Quickbooks is a breeze.

Cons: They have great basic reports, but you have to pay more for more detail analytics reports.

• Reviewed on 16/1/2020
Brandon H.
eCommerce Specialist
  • Reviewed on 5/12/2018

"The Best POS for Niche Entrepreneurs and Businesses!"

Comments: Lightspeed came to the rescue when our antiquated, old, no-longer-supported and dying POS system was on the fritz and costing us dearly. They worked with us on implementation and migrating to the new system. They worked with us on payments so that the sticker shock hurt a little less. And when I say they worked with us, I mean they worked with possibly the highest maintenance customer they have ever had. We're an old company that moves slowly and tends to be extremely "cautious" of new technology. Lightspeed was patient. They never pushed, got frustrated, or stopped calling to check on how we were coming. They did several product demos, training sessions, and have spent countless hours on the phone with us helping us get the software and hardware setup and working. They have been with us every step of the way and we now have the POS system of our dreams!

Pros: It is very in depth and detailed. There are so many functions and fields for data entry, recording, ​and tracking. It's in the cloud! No backups! Clean and simple, yet so powerful! Technical support is AAA+++! They're the bomb! Can't believe we tried anything else first.

Cons: It is a bit involved for setup and some may consider it "expensive." All I'll say is that you get what you pay for. For every con, other POS have two or three. And for every con, Lightspeed has a workaround.

• Reviewed on 5/12/2018
Veronika C.
Restaurants, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 5/11/2019

"POS for New Restaurant Owners"

Comments: Never had a system this advanced before. I keep trying to implement more features to benefit the daily running of our restaurant.

Pros: Easy to use and set-up. Customer support is great. You are always talking to a real person and they always answer your questions or solve your problems.

Cons: There have been a few bugs every now and again. I would have liked some more one on one time when setting up our system.

• Reviewed on 5/11/2019
Jackie W.
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 7/4/2020

"Easy straight forward POS"

Comments: Support team is very quick to access when running into issues or when we have questions.

Pros: I love how easy and practical it is.
Handles everything a small to med size business needs.

Cons: That the analytics is an extra purchase and not part of the main software.

• Reviewed on 7/4/2020
Debbie B.
  • Reviewed on 4/9/2017

"Easy to Use!"

Comments: I have used this system for approximately 5 years and the team at LightSpeed have continually made improvements. I believe it is a super easy POS to use and the monthly rate makes sense as it is not residing on a single computer. I would recommend and have recommended this product to others.

Pros: Lightspeed is very user friendly. It is super easy to get your new employees trained on this POS. The system is easy to pick up. I also appreciate the ease of creating a purchase order in the system. I can't say enough about having cloud access with this POS system. I can work from anywhere! I use the reports and graphs a lot even though I work with an inventory management system. It seems to give me accurate information for future ordering

Cons: Inventory can be it's downfall. I have spoken with several different retailers and it is consistent about being inconsistent in running totals. I review it weekly just to make sure prior to ordering. I also don't like that the margin is incorrect! One must use a profit margin tool to make sure your markup is consistent with what it needs. Last thing that the system does not have is PO's by category or show inventory assets received in cost and retail. It only shows it in cost which can be cumbersome as our products have several different margins.

• Reviewed on 4/9/2017
Pam M.
  • Reviewed on 22/11/2019

"Best POS for Retail"

Comments: Lightspeed helps me pay all my taxes for both sales and employees. It tracks everything so accurately that makes my accountant's job much easier than the past. It's also great for tracking sales per employee and is easy to check everything remotely.

Pros: Lightspeed made it very easy to switch from my old system. I had a lot of inventory to transfer. With the help of Lightspeed's help team it was quick and seamless. Lightspeed tracks all my sales, customers, inventory, etc. It makes my daily life so easy dealing with daily order entry, refunds and inventory control.

Cons: I have nothing bad to say. Honestly, this is a must buy for all retail businesses!

• Reviewed on 22/11/2019
Sizakele M.
Apparel & Fashion, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 15/7/2020

"Ease of generation of Reports"

Pros: I chose Lightspeed Retail POS software because apart from system to process my sales I needed an easy and quick way to review my stock levels as well as assess my sales from month to month. Lightspeed did not disappoint. I am able to easily generate reports and I’ve also been able to do away with the cost of engaging an employee to do this. The software is also very accessible for someone who is not familiar with POS plus there are ready videos to help whenever I need do something new that I hadn’t done yet.

Cons: For some reason I struggle with adding a new item while I’m making a sale. I end up showing negative stock and still have to go back and add the quantity from the inventory tab which makes me make the customer wait longer than they should. Perhaps it comes down to me not knowing how to do this properly. I’m not sure.

Pepper H.
Sporting Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/2/2017

"Lightspeed retail and ecom"

Comments: As a small bike shop, we had the challenge of finding an affordable easy to use, but fully integrated system for inventory and sales. We are into our 2nd season with lightspeed, and we are quite happy with the product, and even added the ecom bundle to our subscription renewal. We are constantly learning new ways to make the product work for us, and help streamline our work from both a sales and service perspective. I don't use the support as much as I should, but have had great experience with lightspeed support on any question or concerns I come up with.

Pros: Cost effective for small business. Easy to learn and fairly intuitive. Great support. The more we use it, the better it suits our needs and they seem receptive to feedback for changes and improvements.

Cons: The ecom platform is great, but has a very retail feeling to it, which I understand is the function. Would love for the platform to have options for a more informative feel and function. Like optional events page, gallery, widgets like weather or trail condition reports etc.

• Reviewed on 23/2/2017
Tasnim A.
Business Owner
Restaurants, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/8/2017

"I was really impressed with the functionality and ease of use of the system."

Comments: We started using the software at a time when very few people were using apps to take restaurant orders. It was revolutionary for our market and soon many followed the trend.

Pros: It was a revolutionary tool for us in South Africa when we first started using the system in our restaurant in 2013. It eliminated errors in orders by the waitrons as orders were taken immediately at the table as opposed to the waitron memorising the order and punching it into the system. It also assisted in getting dishes to the patrons much faster as orders went directly to the kitchen with little delay. The stock functionality was also very useful to us.

Cons: Based in South Africa and the exchange rate being extremely volatile at the time, the monthly premium was sometimes quite expensive.

• Reviewed on 10/8/2017
Steven V.
  • Reviewed on 13/10/2020

"5th year of use"

Comments: We have been able to grow our business by 10-20% each year because of the inventory control we have

Pros: The ease of using this program from desktop PC's to iPads anywhere there is internet is wonderful. It is more than robust for our 10,000 plus skus. Re-order points make fast work for ordering. Many choices for quick and easy to find reports. When COVID hit this March we had a shop already online and were able to take advantage of it for curbside service.

Cons: Some of the extras like Analytics and Loyalty programs have some issues, we have been able to work around and make them work for us.

• Reviewed on 13/10/2020
Lisa J.
Marketing/Design Manager
Computer Games, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/7/2020

"Lightspeed Retail and eCom"

Comments: All together, I have had a very positive experience with Lightspeed. I'm learning more every day about how to creatively apply its features to my ability to promote and track sales.

Pros: What I like most about Lightspeed is the integration between the retail POS and the online catalog. It feels seemless. I really love our ability to manage inventory through spreadsheet imports and exports. The website feature gives us a very professional look and functionality to online sales.

Cons: I would love to see some text/informational/marketing pages added to the template to give those pages more polish. We can use html and css to configure the page ourselves, but custom code cannot be supported by their tech support.

Myles K.
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/6/2020

"Good start"

Comments: I am still in the onboarding phase of using Lightspeed Retail. Their onboarding staff is helpful, organized, and sensible. I have spent a long time researching 12 different platforms before deciding with multichannel platform to move my electronics business to. There are no perfect solutions, but Lightspeed has shown a willingness to carry me along at my speed, not theirs. I was a user of Lightspeed OnSite for, I think, 12 years before this. Back then I took a chance on a little known company with questionable financing for my most critical business system. Not only did they survive and grow, but they learned and are still learning today. And they are a much more credible competitor in a dynamic business segment. I highly recommend them.

Pros: It is open ended and makes integrating with the best of breed add-ons easy. they also bent over backwards migrating my existing data to this software.

Cons: It would have been nice if they had an option to remain live if access to the server was down during business hours.

• Reviewed on 16/6/2020