15 years helping Irish businesses

About Stata

Stata statistical software is a complete, integrated statistical software package.

Learn more about Stata

Pros:

It has a large number o packages that integrate with most of the types of data and can produce very powerful statistical calculation.

Cons:

Update is installed easily but sometime it take long time to update and create error in analyses.

Stata ratings

3.9
4.1
4.4
4.1

8.2/10

Stata has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 182 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Stata before?

Rahat
Rahat
Analyst in US
Research, 11–50 Employees

Excellent for econometric analysis.

Comments: There are some things that Stata does extremely well - the statistics and econometrics in particular. And it does these things reliably and fast, with a good support network. If you're willing to pay for it, performance is even better - using up to 64 cores. But for more general purpose statistical work, R is not only free, but better (even though it is more buggy).

Pros:

This is statistical programming software that is excellent for canned econometric procedures. Reliable and fast, with a huge library of procedures built in, and an even bigger user-contributed library. Online support through the statalist forum is also amazing. It also has a matrix programming language (Mata). The graphics capabilities are also easy to use and very high quality. Has a lot of related features like heatmaps, producing production-quality regression tables, etc.

Cons:

This software is expensive. You're paying for something that is reliable, tried and true, with a great support network. But there are other free options, such as R. Furthermore, while this is excellent for canned statistical and econometric procedures, the programming language itself is not anywhere near as developed as something like R. For example, work with text etc is out of the picture. It is quite un-intuitive for someone coming with a programming background, and has weird quirks - such as only being able to keep on dataset in memory at a time. These issues mean that achieving what could be achieved in 3 lines of code in another language, might take 100s in Stata.

Research, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Stata is the best.

Comments: I have found Stata to be capable of doing 99% of the things I need a stats program to do, and it does them quickly, efficiently, and without much work on my part. Most issues I have run into with Stata are user-generated, and quickly solved by referencing Stata's extensive documentation or its very strong Stata discussion community. That said, it was a bit intimidating at first, being that it's mainly command-driven rather than menu-driven. This creates a slight issue when trying to bring coworkers who haven't used Stata before into the fold.

Pros:

I enjoy the interface -- maybe just because I'm used to it. Still, the flexibility of being able to type something into the command line ad hoc rather than writing it into a syntax file when I just want to see what a command is going to do with out "committing" is nice. The general structure of how Stata presents data and elements of the data within the GUI, specifically the ability to see basically everything in one main window, tends to make my life a lot easier.

Cons:

It's kind of ugly. The output especially is pretty bad, even using Stata markup log files. I find that colleagues who do not use Stata are a bit off-put by output I send them in plain-text log files, compared to fancier tables/web reports easily generated in SPSS. Even though my workplace is currently paying for it, I am still not a fan of Stata's pricing structure.

Thanks for the feedback!

Jay
Project Consultant in India
Public Policy, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Use Stata for Statistical Analysis

4.0 last month New

Pros:

Stata's integration with other software, like R and Python, enhances its versatility and utility in diverse analytical workflows.

Cons:

Occasional performance issues with very large datasets can slow down analysis.

Rafael
Rafael
Jefe del departamento de Oceanografia in Venezuela

Acceptable statistical analysis and inference tool.

Comments: Although it is not the software that I normally use, especially due to the deficiencies in its graphical presentation of results, I use it frequently to compare the results it produces, against the results obtained with other software, both commercial and self-developed. This has allowed me, in many cases, to validate the results obtained.

Pros:

Price, that although it is not cheap, if it is competitive with respect to other softwares of similar characteristics. It allows me ample freedom to customize the way of presenting the results obtained, which in general is not the best. The after-sales service is good, with regular updates and an excellent help section.

Cons:

Talking with my students, the cost is accessible to people like me, but it is not for the average student, especially when the licenses must be renewed periodically. If there is something to criticize the program is the way of presenting the data, where there is a lot of improvement field, since the outputs produced by default are of limited quality and presentation, especially if you want to enter a publication. The error code messages are not very useful in order to solve the error.

Ryan
Senior Research Analyst in US
E-Learning, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Stata is really good for statistical analysis

Comments: Stata was really wonderful because it had a really low learning curve and I felt like it was a much better product than SPSS. It was my favorite language until I learned R. R works much better for the work I am doing now but Stata will always have a special place in my heart and I would recommend Stata to anyone who wants to start getting into data analysis but hasn't had a lot of programming training

Pros:

I liked that the syntax of the language was really intuitive. Moving from SPSS to Stata made me feel like I could actually keep track of the code myself. I also loved that there was so much support online

Cons:

Stata was really good for academic data analysis but it didn't meet all of the needs for programming data analysis. The for loops were there but not really intuitive. It was really hard to run a lot of different analyses and then compare them. That is why I say that it is really good if you are running a few analysis for an academic manuscript but I wouldn't run large scale business analyses in it

2 years ago

Mohammed
Field Manager in Ghana
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 11–50 Employees

one stop shop for all your data analysis needs

Comments: As we began consulting on national-scale projects with massive datasets and sophisticated data analysis and reporting needs, it was only normal that we migrate from the equally efficient but less technical alternatives we were using prior. And the great wealth of freely accessible online resources and communities has been the most essential differentiator that separates Stata from other options.

Pros:

Stata provides a comprehensive package of functions that allows us to manage and analyze project research data very efficiently. Particularly with purely statistical functions. Stata also has a very dedicated user community, which translates to extreme ease of getting help when we get stuck.

Cons:

Learning to use Stata was very challenging for me, as someone coming from the significantly less technical alternatives I had been using to that point. I also think product licensing can be improved to make it easier for smaller teams to subscribe at relatively lower costs.

3 years ago

Thank you for your feedback!

Xorla
Executive Director in Ghana
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 11–50 Employees

Great for Academic Research and Mid level professional data work

Comments: Before Stata, we were using Excel for almost all of our data work.....mostly because it was free. Switching to Stata however cut down our manual processes drastically; reducing task times by up to 80%. The main issue we ever had was with the product licencing and product access for our team. The response time in resolving the issues weren't as prompt as we would have hoped.

Pros:

The range of functionality in the software, the free training and help resources available online, the ease of creating reports from your work, etc.

Cons:

1. The software interface was a bit intimidating for me as a beginner coming from Excel 2. the computer requirements for running the software were rather high, and the devices we had at the time couldn't quite run them smoothly so we had to replace most of them.

Umair
Reseracher in Italy
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Stata for Statistical Data Analysis

Comments: Stata is a great software for statistical data analysis, especially for researchers and data analysts. However, it requires proper training to learn the formulas. Moreover, it is somehow expensive.

Pros:

It is a great statistical data analysis software with a user-friendly interface. Data can be visualized in a good manner and can be downloaded easily in various formats.

Cons:

It requires proper training for utilizing its maximum functions. Takes time to learn the formulas/codes that sometimes look difficult.

Daren
Researcher in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51–200 Employees

God bless Stata

Pros:

Stata is such a flexible stats tool. If the native features don’t work for you, someone has probably created something that will. All you have to do is use the “findit”command.

Cons:

There is a learning curve, and I wonder if I could have learned it on my own as I learned it in grad school.

Godwin
Godwin
Statistical Analyst in Kenya
Banking, 1,001–5,000 Employees

A Reliable and Effective Statistical Data Analysis and Processing Tool.

Comments: With the current grobal trends, we can say that data is the new gold as far as business is concerned. With the tool we are able to manipulate any data to get the desired results. There is no statistical challenge that we are unable to sort with the tool.

Pros:

Whats best with the tool is that its loaded with a breath of features. The features helps us in handling any statistical analysis and data visualization. Its a stand alone when its data processing. You are able to clean the data and process it without the need of a third party application.

Cons:

For you to work with the tool, you will need a training on statistics and data handling. Other than that the tool is reliable and efficient.

Andra
PhD student in US
Education Management, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Good for academic data analysis

Comments: Overall, Stata is a very powerful platform to analyze data, especially when the project requires manipulating the data into new formats or performing matching, etc. Where it falls slightly short compared to other programs is that it does not allow for multiple datasets to be open at the same time, and it can crash, but this is fixed with diligent saving of do files, and the multiple datasets issue is not really a problem unless doing projects that require a large number of models with variables from different sets.

Pros:

I am a PhD student that uses a combination of Stata and R for data analysis for academic papers. I like that Stata allows for manipulation of data in ways that are quite intuitive and straight-forward, and it allows one to manage datasets with a very large number of observations. Stata is also particularly good at allowing for the transformation of data from one format to another (for example, from long to wide) which allows for matching and subsequent easier manipulation.

Cons:

My least favorite part about Stata is that it does not allow one to have multiple datasets open at the same time, like other programs do. Also, in my experience, one has to save the do-file they're working on very frequently because it is not rare for Stata to crash. But, with that knowledge, it's not really an issue to save often once you're used to it.

4 years ago

Thank you for your feedback! With Stata 16, you can now have multiple datasets in memory. Read more about it at https://www.stata.com/new-in-stata/multiple-datasets-in-memory.

Raees
Research scholar in US
Research, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Once you go stata, there’s no difficult data

Comments: I love using it and I recommend it all my colleagues and students

Pros:

The most important feature is it’s ease of operation. It is easy to learn, has great resources available for help if you need it and it is very efficient while dealing with large data sets

Cons:

When I first started learning it 10 years ago there wasn’t much online help available and that was my most important concern but not anymore

Fan Xuan
Graduate Teaching Assistant in US
Education Management, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Click and drag possible for most analyses.

Pros:

Unlike other competitors, STATA is used by many economists and economic researchers. It allows click-and-drag for most complicated statistical analysis (such as Multilevel models, Bayesian), easier than other competing products.

Cons:

Since it is click-and-drag, some features are not as flexible as other competitors. Yet, I think this is a great product covering most popular statistical techniques.

Higher Education, 501–1,000 Employees

What’s not to like?

Comments: Fantastic!

Pros:

If you have to analyze data for a living but do not necessarily want to code to run every single regression, then Stata is the way to go. Seriously, is there anything not to like about this software? Every version is better than the last. Stata makes even the most hard-core data analysis task and multi-level modeling seem like a walk in the park. Above all, there are tons of information available online on how to use the software. This information is available from Stata itself, independent statisticians, and students. What do I love about it most? Ease of use and functionality. I survived graduate school due to this tool alone.

Cons:

There is nothing to dislike about this software. It just keeps on getting better. Thanks Stata!

5 years ago

Thank you for your comments!

SB
Research Assistant in US
Higher Education, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Practical and efficient statistical program

Comments: Stata is my favorite statiscal program to use, I would highly suggest this program for beginners.

Pros:

Stata is the third statistical analysis software that I have used. It is really great for simple and complex problem solving. Depending on the size of the dataset everything I have done has processed fairly quickly. The help menu is amazing, there are always packages you can download if there is something you need to do that is not already included in the software. The coding is easy to learn, it’s very intuitive.

Cons:

If you are running a multiple imputation then the software takes a very long time to run on a PC. Usually to get the imputation to run you would need a computer with an extremely fast processor. Also, I find it easier to use with a PC versus a Mac.

Higher Education, 201–500 Employees

Stata Use for Behavioral Statistical Analysis

Comments: Overall it was a great tool for my behavioral statistics class and for the analyses I had to do for my dissertation.

Pros:

I used stata for my behavioral statistics and program evaluation course in graduate school. I am not that great with statistics but this program was pretty straightforward and easy to understand and use. I used it to run regression analyses and validate measures.

Cons:

It would sometimes crash and take time loading when using it through my older MAC computer. I sometimes had to start my analyses all over again.

Amr
Associate Professor in Saudi Arabia
Medical Practice, 10,000+ Employees

Effective software

Pros:

Stata is an easy to use tool. It combines drop down menus and codes. Most of the statistical tests are available. Integration with python is amazing and no need to change the software to perform machine learning methods. User manual is a real textbook with detailed description. Great community support via statalist forum

Cons:

The program is missing the strong customer service with both technical and statistical support. Compared to the customer service of other companies, stata is not the best

Jane
Assistant Professor in US
Higher Education, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Great Statistical Package for Everyday Use

Comments: Overall, I really like Stata and I still plan to use it for the majority of my research.

Pros:

I use this package pretty much every single day and for the majority of my research manuscripts. I'll do all of my data management and cleaning as well as my analyses in Stata. The syntax is fairly intuitive and the software is able to handle most advanced statistical techniques.

Cons:

What I like least about the software is that there are certain types of categorical data analysis techniques that cannot be done in Stata.

Research, 5,001–10,000 Employees

High powered and user friendly

Comments: I use Stata regularly for data analysis in my graduate program. Compare to other statistical packages, I really like it because it is the best of both world's regarding usability and statistical power. It can run advanced analyses on very large data sets, but it is also easier to use than other completely code-based programs and languages. I also really like that it stores your codes and functions in a library which makes them very easy to use.

Pros:

It is more powerful than some more basic data analysis softwares (eg SPSS, excel) but it is also much more user friendly that some of the more powerful ones that are completely programming/code-based.

Cons:

It does take some time to understand how to navigate this software. It is certainly not quite as intuitive as Excel or more basic softwares, but the statistical power more than compensates for the slight learning curve. I also like how similar the design is to other softwares, which makes it easier to learn.

5 years ago

We appreciate your comments.

Government Administration, 11–50 Employees

Great for Research Analysis

Comments: Stata is by far my favorite statistical tool. It’s like having hundreds of statistical tools at your fingertips. I have used SPSS which I found to be very good, but Stata by far exceeded my expectations. Stata is versatile and can be used by any organization.

Pros:

Stata is great for analyzing large amounts of data for research and analytics purposes. It’s especially suited for quantitative research and analysis. We recently started using Stata at work and the results has been phenomenon. We conducted a survey with a sample size of 250 participants and using Stata, we were able to integrate data management, data analysis, data modelling, and graphical visualization using one single tool. Apart from work, I have also used Stata as a University student when conducting research and handling large data files. Once trained in Stata, it is very easy to comprehend and use.

Cons:

While Stata is great for handling large amounts of data, it may be difficult to use if you are unfamiliar with how it works. This now becomes a very time-consuming process as you now have to learn the system. Also, this can lead to errors in the process and ultimately affect the result of the research. Because I was familiar with the ins and outs of how Stata works, it was quite simple and user friendly for me. However, many of my colleagues who were not familiar with the programme, had great difficulty in using it.

4 years ago

Thank you for your feedback!

Research, 501–1,000 Employees

Useful and Easy Statistical Analysis for non programmers

Comments: Overall it is easy to use and great for basic statistical analysis

Pros:

Stata is very simple to use for statistical analysis. There is a short learning curve, but it can be mastered quite quickly and be used ot produce powerful and elegant analyses. Simple things, like data manipulation, data visualization, and regression is easy to do! Great for people doing epidemiological or economic analyzes and quick to use.

Cons:

It can be quite pricey for a one year license, the perpetual license, is a better deal. While it is useful for data visualization, it is not the most flexible at producing nice charts for a journal (nothing beats R in this regard). It also does not have a robust suite of bioinformatic tools, which limits its utility for some scientific fields.

Thanks for the feedback!

Higher Education, 10,000+ Employees

Great tool for statistical analysis

Comments: I love using Stata. It has been a great experience as I conduct my research using large datasets. I definitely recommend for researchers who employ a quantitative approach.

Pros:

Stata is great software for researchers. It is very convenient to conduct statistical analysis such as regressions and visualize the results. This software is widely used in academia, thus it is very easy to find tutorials and relevant resources generated by Stata and users.

Cons:

It is not as intuitive as software like SPSS. It is definitely for advanced users who want to do more sophisticated analysis. Writing codes is almost necessary.

Waleed
doctor in Pakistan
Hospital & Health Care, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Another statistical software with some distinctions

Comments: a viable alternative to SPSS especially good for shallow-pocketed researchers from developing countries.

Pros:

this is an alternative to SPSS in some scenarios and can help with statistical analysis. the documentation feature and the command line features are very handy, something the SPSS lacks altogether. the most important statistical tests like anova, ncova etc are all there and even has baesyan analysis. the graphics it produces are quite visually attractive compared to SPSS V21 atleast. the pricing is quite flexible, allowing individual researchers especially from developing coutries like india and pakistn to purchase it in affordable prices

Cons:

command line mkes it cumbersome. and it can not handle complex statistical data analysis. it is not famous in the people of my feild i.e medcial reserachers although I am seeing it in increasingly frequent in the publications recently.

6 years ago

Obi
Student in US
Research, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Great statistical tool

Comments: I recommend Stata for those that are new to programming and statistical analysis.

Pros:

I have used Stata for my econometric analysis for the past three years. I like Stata because it is easy to learn the codes because they are quite intuitive. Also, it has a point-and-click feature that can be used if you don't know the codes. Finally, you can save your codes and start at a later time.

Cons:

Stata is not as robust as some programming languages like R programming. Also, it tends to be slow for some estimations.

Shirley
Student in US

STATA has enabled me to conduct a variety of statistical tests in a professional and efficient way.

Comments: This software helped me analyze large amount of data and conduct statistical analysis very efficiently. I would definitely recommend this product to anyone who is interested in cleaning and analyzing large amount of data.

Pros:

1. Professional functionality and wide coverage of statistical methods and tools 2. Easy coding, it is also fast to find different tests by using your mouse to surf 3. Processing speed is fast compared to other statistical software such as SAS

Cons:

1. Cost is still too high for average college students, licenses need to be renewed periodically 2. Not much tutorial is available for new users to get familiar with the functionality 3. It is sometimes difficult and tricky to connect to/switch to other statistical software for data cleaning and organization

7 years ago

Thank you for your feedback! It is always appreciated. Have you seen our Youtube channel? We have many short instructional videos to assist you. https://www.youtube.com/user/statacorp