15 years helping Irish businesses

About Paychex Flex

Special Offer: 6 months free - manage payroll, online or in-house, and save money on time tracking reports, and processing payroll.

Learn more about Paychex Flex

Pros:

Representative was exceptionally professional and responsive and the ease of use of product.

Cons:

My only complaint with Paychex Flex is that the retirement component is still transitioning over from Classic and it is taking a long time.

Paychex Flex ratings

4.2
3.9
4.1
4.0

7.5/10

Paychex Flex has an overall rating of 4.2 out 5 stars based on 1,574 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Paychex Flex before?

Filter reviews (1,574)

Michayla
Michayla
Home Care Provider — Personal Care Services in US
Individual & Family Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Provided through my previous employer!

5.0 last month New

Comments: Content with the services it provided to me at that time, which was through my previous employer. Used about 1.6 years! (1y, 6m)

Pros:

Only used until upgraded to different provider/platform altogether!

Cons:

I never had a problem with this software, honestly. ESPECIALLY compared to some/other providers of the same functions/purpose.

Jennifer
Insurance Coordinator in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11–50 Employees

This software is the easiest one for payroll in my experience.

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall it is a real decent software to use. It is user friendly and has most all the features you need.

Pros:

That I can review my W2 and all my paystubs in the same place whenever I need to and I can print them or download them easily. I love the clock in machine to.

Cons:

The APP takes forever to log in a lot of the times. I would be on time coming back from lunch but by the time the app would open and I clocked back in I would be , sometimes up to 4 minutes late. Those minutes add up when you only get paid once a month.

Marilyn
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Paychex Flex is Not the Best for Our Small Company

3.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: We're always getting offers to add more products and services. Their sales team can be relentless. It was difficult to get changes in personnel leave hours done by the customer service team, but I've found a way to make those changes myself. I wish we still had MyPayCenter from Deluxe Payroll.

Pros:

They take care of filing taxes and doing direct deposit.

Cons:

The website is cumbersome, and reports are difficult to drill down to. Categories are vague. After our introductory rate, the cost will be prohibitive for our small company.

Ed
CEO in US
Staffing & Recruiting, 2–10 Employees

Solid solution at an affordable price

Comments: Paychex Flex has been great to use. It has been good for us.

Pros:

It is easy to use and maintain. Set up was also easy with great support.

Cons:

Some of the more involved things need support...but...it has always provided.

Theresa
owner in US
Food & Beverages, 2–10 Employees

Paychex flex is easy

5.0 last month New

Comments: Definitely would recommend it. did find it a bit pricy, compared to say Patriot Software, but definitely worth it.

Pros:

The ease of operation, inputting for payroll getting report.

Cons:

At times finding my way around became a bit difficult.

Carla
CPO in US
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 51–200 Employees

Who was the Challenge

Comments: Very frustrating. Time and Attendance wasnot set up to cover varied time schedules. Majority of our staff work 7 hours or less and it calculated employees PTO at 8 hours.

Pros:

We had a difficult payroll and many on the implementation team became frustrated all except our Payroll Manager. She was patient and work with us to get a great product. Even when we decided to leave Paychex, she follow-up to see if we still needed their services until our new payroll vendor was able to get our payroll set up in their system.

Cons:

The system is hard to use. Many of the features convert back to original features. The system nor the training received from the implementaion team did not allow the Administrator to make minimal employee information changes. This was frustrating. Also, the assist feature was outdated and was hard to follow the steps to rectify an issue using the help assistant. As well, CSR was not able to assist with any issues either. Very frustrating.

Leila
Accountant in US
Civil Engineering, 11–50 Employees

It works, but could definitely be better

Pros:

It does the job, in terms of compliance and W2 preparation I have nothing to say. Their customer representatives are kind and try to do their best to help you.

Cons:

Their reporting is definitely a very important feature that in Paychex Flex is not intuitive and is very limited.The way their databses are crafted, makes it hard to bulk change things correctly, and their pre-made reports have very limited information. You need to customize them and even then is hard to get the information you are looking for.

Lisa
Director of Customer Development in US
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Extremely easy to use

5.0 last week New

Pros:

I love this app! I can quickly find my payroll information from a high level or I can drill down into the details. It is so easy to log into and find what I am looking for right away. I also like that our 401K information is also in this app so I do not have several apps for all my payroll information.

Cons:

Once in a while, I can't log into the app. I get the spinning wheel of death so I close out and try to relog in. Once I had to use the website because the app would not work at all but this has been minimal and I have been using this for over 2 years.

Jose
DME Coordinator in US
Hospital & Health Care, 51–200 Employees

Great for more than just clocking in

5.0 last month New

Pros:

I like how easy it is to use, I can just log on and clock in without having issues.

Cons:

Not much cons really to mention, its all there zero restrictions. Literally anything you want to see is there for you

Hospital & Health Care, 11–50 Employees

Made the switch to Paychex Flex!

4.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Would highly recommend if you happen to be on the fence. Great product.

Pros:

It's simple and clean. New hires rarely have issues setting up direct deposit or accessing tax documentation.

Cons:

Difficulty with E-Signature process at times

Adam
Campus Support Team Director in US
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 11–50 Employees

Unfortunately, the UI is awful and has a steep learning curve

Comments: Pretty bad if I'm being honest. If we were to pick software again, we would pick someone else.

Pros:

The customer service is helpful, although I wish I didn't have to call them as much as I do.

Cons:

It's surprising to me that this company is a big competitor in this space. I think their software is extremely difficult to learn how to use and graphically looks like it was made in Windows 95. I use the administrative side mostly and have people coming to me all the time with questions because it's not easy or intuitive enough to learn on your own. Software should be created and designed so that it's easy enough for people to pick up and start using immediately. PayChex Flex is not one of those softwares.

Ian
Prevent Manager in US
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

The Best Payroll Option Available!!

Comments: We are extremely satisfied with the services that Paychex Flex provides. We are using more features as they get rolled out, and it has helped keep our staff morale high. We really like using Paychex Flex for Payroll and HR management.

Pros:

The convenience of having so many features in one place. We are able to achieve payroll and HR tasks faster than ever before. Ever since we started to use Paychex Flex employees have had less issues on their pay and benefits. The benefits are easy to access and the setup is user friendly.

Cons:

There were some times they were performing maintenance on the site when we were trying to access. It can take some time to get through to support staff and you must know the specific issue you are calling about. There is lack of updates and benefits can take some time to setup for the HR manager.

Eric
HR Manager in US
Financial Services, 11–50 Employees

Everything we need and more

Comments: Paychex Flex has cut the time we spend processing payroll requests in half, if not more. Giving employees the ability to make most changes on their own allows our Payroll Admin to focus on other parts of the business that require more attention.

Pros:

I love that I can get new employees set up as users during their onboarding, then this becomes their one-stop-shop for all things payroll. They can access this site to get their pay stubs, make changes to their direct deposit, enroll/change health benefits, and even make adjustments to their 401k plans.

Cons:

The only real con I have found with this system is that employees can not make changes to their mailing addresses themselves. They are still required to fill out a form for our Payroll Admin and he has to call Paychex to make the change. This seems like something simple that employees should be able to do themeselves.

Lisa
Food Production, 51–200 Employees

Paychex Flex Review

Comments: For the most part positive. Over the years the number one overall best thing about Paychex is their customer service. The platform is easy to use and for the most part user friendly but their customer service is great!

Pros:

For the most part well integrated and easy to use. Customer service is stellar compared to other companies that I deal with. They are also very response to comments on proposed changes in the portal, etc.

Cons:

Pricing! It has increased quite a bit over the past couple of years with an actual decrease in what we get. And paying for hardware is a lot of money!

Emmanuel
Senior Grant Accountant in US
Accounting, 51–200 Employees

Good product overall

Comments: It's a good product for a small to medium size company. Again, my review is from a user standpoint, not an administrator. I really have no negative remarks for Paychex Flex.

Pros:

Recording time is relatively easy. W2s and paysubs are easily obtainable Easy to navigate

Cons:

From a user standpoint, nothing really.

Irma
Manager in US
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Paychex ROCKS

Comments: 1000% Satisfied - they are the best in the industry!

Pros:

One stop does it all - all calls answered day or night and even on weekends and holidays - have done it and they are amazing!

Cons:

I wish Paychex had been introduced sooner

Fred
C.O.O. in US
Research, 2–10 Employees

Vendor Review

Pros:

Customer Service - Friendlly and always on time, flexible 401K program

Cons:

Can't think of any problems we have had in years of use

Jennifer
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 11–50 Employees

Paychex makes payroll easier!

Comments: Paychex has been wonderful! I have used other third party payroll companies in the past and have had terrible experiences. My account manager is great at his job!

Pros:

My payroll account manager is great! He's always available and helpful when I need help.

Cons:

There's really nothing that I don't dislike about Paychex.

Marta
Head of HR
Computer Software, 201–500 Employees

Paychex Flex

Comments: Procured the total HRO package (payroll, 401k, FSA, Time & Attendance, HRIS, HR Compliance and HR Generalist). There is no HRIS compatibility with the Payroll system, one has to run separate reports. Anytime Paychex updates their website, links do not work to the other features and or issues occur. Example, PTO accrual stopped working properly so we had to start accruing PTO manually and users not properly redirected to their links in the Learning center. On the payroll side the support is a black hole. Specifically any state registrations that are not properly loaded by Paychex and result in state tax fees which do not get resolved without employer paying penalty. Numerous emails do not get acknowledged. The implementation process is juvenile and lacks complete project management scope. Overall communication and execution by Paychex is so poor, one finally stops being frustrated and simply begins search for better system, which we are doing.

Pros:

Compliance. Nice to have employee handbook online and learning center for compliance training is also helpful. While Paychex payroll has strong workflow rules and meets general processing requirements, they make everything else so painful, therefore one could never recommend them. It would be like telling someone it's okay to cross a bridge that you know could collapse any moment and that you know is no longer maintained.

Cons:

Assigned customer reps - unresponsive or not timely in responses until escalations. Paychex's lack of technology understanding - every time they upgrade they do not test what the impact to customer use and all their products. They had a big upgrade in late December 2015, their system was not accessible from early morning until the evening (end of year!). Multiple email and calls yielded no information. Finally at 4pm we get an email that they were experiencing problems and would be back live shortly. Who does that? While learning center is a nice to have, spent an hour giving feedback and nothing changed, e.g., the CA Manager Anti- Sexual harassment training is 2.5 hours all in one shot. Not standard for training needs - asked them to break into 4 modules so it would not be daunting to busy leaders....crickets.

Heather
Director of Databases in US
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 11–50 Employees

Easy to use as an employee

Comments: As a user, Paychex provides an easy-to-use platform for time tracking and paycheck information. I downloaded the app but chose to stick with the website due to the straightforward nature of being able to clock in and out quickly, request PTO, and approve employee time tracking with a few clicks in a web browser.

Pros:

Paychex is easy to use as an employee. Being able to clock in and out is simple - there is a button to click that records the punches. I've also used the timesheet to manually enter time, which is also straightforward. As a supervisor, seeing my direct report's timesheet is handy. To approve, it's a matter of checking a box for approval - I feel like it could not get any simpler as an end user.

Cons:

While easy to use, I'm not too fond of the feature for switching between the employee (self) details and supervisor (direct report) details. A switch role function in the upper corner is not necessarily intuitive. I would love for there to be a way to have it all on the same "home" page rather than having to switch roles. While I personally do not have anything to do with the setup of Paychex, I am going to assume there are some issues from there, as our HR department seemed to have difficulty making updates to the system regularly.

Accounting, 2–10 Employees

Way better services out there for cheaper prices

Comments: Do not rely on them to let you know by hiring an employee in another state, you are subject to any additional state/local taxes outside of income tax and unemployment tax. We didn't know we were required to have disability insurance & paid family leave insurance for hiring an employee in NY. I guess I can't blame Paychex because technically it's not a tax but because we began payroll in NY, it required us to carry it. I'm more mad about the fact that it is optional to withhold a small portion of the employees wages for disability insurance or the employer can cover the whole cost. Paychex just started withholding the max portion from the employee without ever saying a word to us. So 1.) they knew we were subject to it and didn't bother to say anything and 2.) they started an optional withholding from employee checks without ever having us sign off on it. They will be easy to reach when they need something, but very very slow if you need something. They switched our assigned payroll specialist so many times that I don't even know who it is now to let them know we are switching at the end of the quarter.

Pros:

The only thing I can say I liked is that they pay the tax and file the required quarterly/annual reports.

Cons:

Very confusing just to have a rate for an employee. There's multiple areas in the employee file where you can add "compensation" & "earnings & deductions". Compensation is where you can add their rate (if you don't, it will notify you that you're not paying minimum wage). You figure you need to add at least one category of earnings like hourly or salary in order to pay an employee. So I added their hourly rates to compensation then added Hourly to their Earnings along with their rate again. The Hourly specifically states RATE X HOURS. Yet, by having both of these, you'll end up paying the employees twice. No problem right. Reports take kind of long to download, and not easily customizable.

Peter
Accountant, Tax Preparer, IT consultant in US
Financial Services, 11–50 Employees

Paychex has FINALLY gotten it right

Comments: Payroll reports for my clients are at my fingertips!

Pros:

Paychex FLEX is easy to navigate, fast at loading reports and pages, and gives you access to what you need. As an accountant it is vital for me to be able to have access to the reports and items I need to get accounting and taxes done without having to jump through hoops to get that information. Many payroll firms make this task frustrating and time consuming. With Paychex FLEX I have one log in for all of my clients and can easily navigate to the company and reports that I need every month or at year-end within a few minutes (including the login process).

Cons:

One thing I don't like is that the default view for reports is set to the last 90 days. Many times, especially dealing with tax forms, I need reports that were created more than 90 days ago. Also, since the newest reports go to the top of the list you already have the most recent reports at the top. Why not default to the past year and then just let me filter down to a smaller group of reports if that's what I want? Other than that small gripe, they have done a lot to improve their FLEX format. When it was first released everyone hated it but it has finally been improved to the point that it is extremely usable. The problem is that it seems like every time they get things just right they move to a new platform and "upgrade" their systems. I understand that this might be a necessary evil but it sure does cause a lot of growing pains for the end-user.

Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

An HCM system that simplifies difficult tasks

Comments: It has been a good experience overall. The payroll account manager I have is efficient. But Paychex does seek to elevate these positions quickly. Every time I get a payroll account manager who is knowledgeable, they always get promoted, it seems. My concerns about the reliability of customer service are raised as a result of this.

Pros:

The ability to use the phone application makes it incredibly handy to get information and even manage payroll from any location. You may track the non-exempt employees' hours with the addition Stratus time, which integrates with your payroll software. Without a doubt, it is a big relief to be able to be in compliance with all local, state, and federal laws thanks to access to a comprehensive database from a company that has been doing it for decades.

Cons:

Certain benefits, which would be useful if you knew what you wanted, cannot be manually set up. We are presently ironing out some problems with a PTO benefit that WE have. Upon entering the dashboard, Paychex Flex requests a fresh verification code. Depending on the administrative access required to do such an activity, users identified in the Paychex Flex may not be erased. Employees might not be able to update time cards electronically because Paychex Flex might only give administrators their usernames and passwords. The administrator is able to make time card adjustments with Paychex Flex. The administrator is able to make payroll modifications using Paychex Flex.

Joshua
Controller in US
Construction, 51–200 Employees

BIG DECISION

Comments: Overall, the experience has been neutral. I do have a good payroll account manager. However, Paychex does promote these positions very rapidly. It seems like any time I am assigned a knowledgeable payroll account manager, they are promoted. This leads me to have concerns regarding the consistency of reliable customer support.

Pros:

I like the general ease of use that this software offers. I have had favorable experiences with my current payroll account manager.

Cons:

There are often times glitches that can cause issues with payroll deductions. It is crucial to double and triple check your PRINTED COPY prior to submitting each payroll.

Kate
VP, Custom Solutions in US
Market Research, 51–200 Employees

Not user friendly, slow, difficult

Comments: Having used a custom made timeclock at another company, as well as used ADP, I do not have a lot to compare against but would guess that almost anything would be better than this.

Pros:

There is nothing - if I had the authority to switch, I would.

Cons:

The interface is clunky and makes managing time punches difficult - there are nuances that are not intuitive where you have to enter or edit a punch in a very specific way or it will cause duplicates or the system will try to combine it with another punch which means that sometimes you have to do it multiple times in slightly different ways before you get the desired result. The reporting is also not intuitive, the wording used for templated report names is vague so that I have to go through many to find one that I want. We've experienced multiple and not infrequent issues with the program from employees logging in to a white screen, to managers not receiving notifications of time off requests which can cause significant issues.