15 years helping Irish businesses

About MySQL

Meet the database challenges of next gen web, cloud, & communications services with uncompromising scalability, uptime and scalability

Learn more about MySQL

Pros:

It's great that MySQL still provides the community version of DB along with all the Connectors which it has to offer.

Cons:

The version update is bad it should have an automatic update and to use in the HTTPS url for example just internally messing with his code.

MySQL ratings

4.4
4.2
4.5
4.6

8.8/10

MySQL has an overall rating of 4.6 out 5 stars based on 2,060 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used MySQL before?

Filter reviews (2,060)

Rolly
Rolly
Analyst in India
Computer Software, 10,000+ Employees

MySQL A database

5.0 last month New

Pros:

Easy to Impliment,its fast and Accurate,good connectivity with multiple platform,and works everywhere

Cons:

Large data complexicity,sometimes gets intigration issues with third party applications

Maha
Assistant Professor in Lebanon
Computer Software, 501–1,000 Employees

MySQL: A Popular RDBMS for Teaching Database Concepts

Comments: Great experience using MySQL for teaching database concepts for undergraduate and graduate students.

Pros:

The main feature that I cherish in MySQL is the ability of my students to deploy it locally without the complexities of intricate configurations and deployment mechanisms. I used MySQL as part of the Bitnami WAMP stack (MariaDB is now packaged in Bitnami) to get a complete server bundle that is easy for students to deploy and configure. Before I relied in my teaching on a networked Oracle installation that was not that performance efficient and didn't give students the chance to configure the server environment. Moreover, with a networked configuration testing various SQL concepts would be a bit complex compared to having a local database installation.

Cons:

Changing the open-source license by Oracle was a bit disappointing. MariaDB is a kind of open-source alternative to MySQL with very similar features and architecture.

Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

My opinion on MySQL

5.0 last month New

Comments: I've been using MySQL to manage small servers for tests and final products and I have nothing much to complain about, it really does what needs to be done and is really secure and fast.

Pros:

The management of data is easy, fast and smooth with MySQL, the permissions system is well secure, it's flexible and the search/filter feature really helps a lot.

Cons:

Since it's considered like a light software, the management for big databases is really slow.

Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

MySQL the default database server

Comments: We just use MySQL for all of our databases

Pros:

It's the default standard for many companies. MySQL has grown into a very stable product that never crashes. We've made the move to MariaDB, but found that the tables sometimes get corrupted when restarting a database server under heavy load. With the recent speed improvements to MySQL, we have decided to actually migrate back to MySQL.

Cons:

I'd really like if they would spend a bit more time on their CLI interface. As in, syntax highlighting in the CLI, an easier way to scroll through multiline queries when going through the history. I would also like it if we can specify a color scheme to use for the output.

CEO in US
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

MySQL- dependable for your smaller database and data extraction needs

5.0 last month New

Comments: We have thoroughly enjoyed the ease of use for MySQL for our smaller database and dataset needs. Have been using it for over a decade.

Pros:

If you have even a small amount of experience with SQL, you will find MySQL easy to use. We can easily create a database, tables and queries on the fly for any of our data needs.

Cons:

Best suited for smaller databases, not large datasets.

Radek
board member in Poland
Entertainment, 11–50 Employees

MYSQL - you use it every day and you dont know about it

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: I use MySQL DB for over 20years, and i think i will do this for nesxt 20:] so I think this is beast that I can write about it.

Pros:

Its simple, cheap product. IT is also one of moust popular DB engines for PHP. There are many materials and instructions online on how to use MYSQL, for sure more then for Oracle.

Cons:

Its not so stable as otcher ,not free, solutions.

Soe Min
Programmer in Myanmar
Information Technology & Services, 201–500 Employees

MySQL: The most flexible DBMS

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

It's a relational database management system and easy to work with structured data. Support a secure protection for sensitive data such as passwords. Last but not least, it's a free and open-source software.

Cons:

Lack of ability to handle large databases. When it comes to development and debugging tools, MySQL can't provide as much as paid databases does.

Luis
CEO in Portugal
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Work with SQL Power with low cost

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: It enough for my databases and more simple than the others

Pros:

Works ok and is simple to use. The most important is a low-cost SQL solution

Cons:

Some commands are not equal to other SQL platforms.

Computer Software, 501–1,000 Employees

A good option for database management

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: I learned the basics of MySQL pretty easy in 2021, it was confusing at the beginning but once I learned them, I was able to manage the database pretty easily. Making queries is easy and fast, which is something that I've always loved about MySQL.

Pros:

You can easily manage your data with MySQL, its data filter featuer is really helpful, integrating MySQL with other software is really simple, the permissions system is really useful and works well.

Cons:

Learning all the commands can be very tricky, but once you've done that, you won't have any issues managing your database.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Lead developer in Mexico
Computer Games, 2–10 Employees

MySQL database managment system.

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: My experience with MySQL has been for testing locally databases for my videogames, best for local testing before launching in an open environment.

Pros:

The best relational database managment system, the best thing and it´s biggest pro is that it is open source.

Cons:

No Cons at all, if you are proficient in SQL and the needs of your database is for relational managment, it is for you.

Jim
Sr Web Engineer in US
Information Services, Self Employed

Stable Database for Every Project

Pros:

I came from programming background who used PHP as primary language and naturally MySQL was the database for the backend. One feature about MySQL is how easy it is to setup and use and how flexible it is to operate. I have used both the CLI (Command Line Interface) and GUI (Graphical User Interface) to interact with the database to create tables, add records, update and remove records, all seem really fast and stable. I used MySQL on my Windows, Mac, and Linux machines without any hiccups. It follows the traditional Relational Database Management System structure with you first create the database, then the tables, then add records to the tables before you can query them. The client used to interface MySQL include the web-based tool like PHPMySQL, and Windows tool like HeidiSQL or MySQL Workbench. These tools all connect to the database very easily. These tools also lets you backup your database for offline storage.

Cons:

The recent trend of database has gone from the traditional Relational model to NoSQL, which is a SQL platform that uses mostly JSON format to store data instead of the traditional database tables and records. This is where MySQL lacks, MySQL doesn't have the ability to run as NoSQL so if you intend to use a NoSQL database, MySQL is not for you. One other thing I noticed about MySQL database is if you have a large collection of data and IF your SQL query is not very optimized, the speed to return the data set can be very very slow. Of course, the only way to fix it is optimize or change your query.

Ryan
Founder, CEO in US
Computer Software, Self Employed

MySQL is hands down the best free database software

Comments: Overall, MySQL isn't always the right choice, but for startup applications and smaller projects, it's the best. Over time you have to learn when to use certain database software, but as a general rule of thumb, MySQL absolutely can handle anything with some configuration and the price is incredible (free). Personally, I've done research on JSON based databases and they lack structure and make things a pain in the long run, which is why I'm only mentioning MySQL and SQL Server in this review. There are other similar acceptable alternatives such as postgres but I've never had reason to use them over MySQL.

Pros:

- If you structure your database correctly, it's very stable - It's free, and there are MySQL derivatives (MariaDB) that are even more powerful - The xtradb database engine in MariaDB (a derivative of MySQL) is incredibly fast - You can do things quickly and have some data integrity risks on small projects, or you can do things properly and have virtually no risk on mission critical applications - VERY easy to scale and setup database clusters and replication, especially in all of the cloud providers

Cons:

- The barrier for entry is too low, causing MySQL and MariaDB to get a bad rep because inexperienced users take advantage of its simplicity - Performance isn't on par with MSSQL/SQL Server without a ton of configuring

Adonay Andres
CTO in Mexico
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Still good after lots of years

Comments: I've been using MySQL for 12+ years. It was great then and it's great now. Lots of features have been added and query speed has been improved by a lot.
Since it's a software that has been around us for many years, I insist, the backwards compatibility isn't the desired one, all the needed adjustments to datasets generated in old versions (that are still running in production environments) rely on the dba. Would be great if there could be a utility that handles that.

Pros:

I like that it has a community edition which allows to get the software for free with community support. In the case of red hat/CEntOS host, a repository settings can be added and the installation is pretty straightforward. As long as it is correctly setup according to the server resources and expected demand, it runs pretty fast, it is stable and supports lots of connections.

Cons:

I feel that it has been starting to loose its backwards compatibility. If you need to use a previous feature, for example, if you want to use the mysql native password, now you need to specify it when creating a user, otherwise, it won't work straightforward with most CMS software. Also, as some datatypes are being improved (which should be a nice to have feature), when migrating to a newer version, restoring a dump can turn into a headache. The users model have also changed, so, if you had a very large users set, you have to do some work to make it work again in newer versions.

Chirag
CITO in US
Insurance, 51–200 Employees

Great database for an SMB

Comments: MySQL served global operations for multiple SMBs I worked with in my career. It powered public websites as well as internal applications. No matter which well-known programming language you use, MySQL support will be fantastic. Backup and restore was very easy. To monitor MySQL, we used Monyog/Webyog. We used Percona MySQL and used XtraBackup for backup and restore. We also set up replication, which was very easy to do. The cost of operation was only a few hundred dollars a year and we got excellent value out of it.

Pros:

Speed. MySQL is fast! Now, fast is a relative term which depends on workloads, database design and more. I work in Small and Medium Businesses space where a couple hundred GB of data in database or less is common. MySQL's performance has been blazing fast in majority of the installs with default or with slight change in configuration.

Cons:

Confusion of selection is the least favorite. MySQL Community/Enterprise edition from Oracle is the most common for those who know MySQL. If you are new to MySQL and researching it for your small business, you'll inevitably come cross MySQL from Oracle, MySQL from Percona, MariaDB etc., which makes your selection process harder. I recommend installing MySQL downloaded from Percona. If you want support, Percona provides that too at a reasonable cost.

Harshil
Software Developer in India
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

My Experience With MySQL

Comments: I have been using MySQL for about 3 year now and it has been a great experience. The database is very easy to use and the support is great. There have been a few times when I have had to contact customer support and they have always been very helpful.

Pros:

MySQL is free and open source software.It has a large community of users and developers.It is easy to learn and use. It is portable and can be used on many different platforms. It is fast and efficient.

Cons:

The only downside to MySQL is that it can be a bit slow at times. This is usually when I am running a lot of queries at the same time. Overall, though, I have been very happy with MySQL.

Libraries, 51–200 Employees

10 Years of MySQL

Comments: MySQL is a robust and scalable choice for many database-driven projects, offering numerous advantages for both beginners and experienced developers. I appreciated this coming in as a novice and learning overtime how important a functioning database is to a project.

Pros:

MySQL's compatibility with various platforms and extensive support for programming languages contributes to its versatility, making it suitable for diverse applications. Moreover, its extensive online community and detailed documentation make troubleshooting and learning effortless.

Cons:

MySQL lacks some advanced performance optimization features found in other database management systems. This limitation may require additional effort to optimize complex queries manually.

CTO in Austria
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

From small php pages to big data

Comments: We are using mysql in many installations. From very small php sites to big data stuff - it's always the same database engine!

Pros:

It's so easy to setup. Just install via package manager and you are up and running. If you need more features, just customize the setup files. Replication, Backup, all is working out of the box.

Cons:

Creating a database and adding a new user must be done in sql. For this step an installer/menu would be great since I've to do this very often.

Jordan
CTO/Co-Founder in US
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

I love my MySQL (see what I did there)

Comments: I thoroughly enjoy working with MySQL and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. For linux hosting environments there is no other database tool of choice for me.

Pros:

I enjoy MySQL as a web-based SQL database tool. In particular, it's comparability with PHP makes it a formidable tool when creating hosted web applications. I myself have used MySQL to create MANY web based databases for web applications, websites and CMS powered websites alike. Very few downsides to using MySQL and it's basically globally accepted by the Web Development community.

Cons:

Very few things. If I had to pick something I would say that the PHPMyAdmin user interface for MySQL databases could definitely use an update. To be honest though, I'm not even sure if PHPMyAdmin is a part of MySQL or cPanel itself so take this criticism with a grain of salt.

Bhavik
Bhavik
Full Stack Developer in India
Financial Services, 51–200 Employees

A Great Database for an organisation's need.

Comments: My overall experience with MySQL is very positive and owing to the high performance and low operational cost, I would love to work on MySQL again.

Pros:

The best thing about MySQL is that it is Open Source. The total cost of ownership in a production environment is very low and performance wise, it is very high performance database. Also, the support for MySQL over the internet is vast and very helpful.

Cons:

The thing I like the least about MySQL is it requires a steep learning curve and one must be familiar with SQL concepts in order to use it efficiently. Also, for complex business logic, it tends to get very hard to handle.

deba
deba
IT Support executive in Nigeria
Oil & Energy, 51–200 Employees

lightweight but reliable and effective.

Comments: MYSQL saved my company money on longtime basic and have also resulted in faster processing time from database call and query while its ability to work well with third-party interface application meant that I do not have to work from command prompt screen.

Pros:

I used MySQL in a project that was covered under the GPL license thus it was free. This helped My company save a lot of expenses compared to when we were using another DB software. My adaptation to MYSQL was quick based on my previous use and knowledge of MSSQL which have similar Coding structure and many parallel functions. MYSQL, been open sourced means that there are tons of thousands of supports and help is available on the internet. I have found this to be particularly very helpful in sorting out otherwise difficult situations. Reliability of MYSQL is the reason MYSQL is the most used database client and I cannot agree less! Been a witness to its reliability, I can say that MYSQL does what it was designed for effectively…and to think it is always been improved upon. I have used MYSQL with Apache/Tomcat JAVA, Perl. , PHP and JSP and it Worked seamlessly with them. I have observed that MYSQL works best for me when called from Spring Web Flow either through a Hibernate layer or JDBC though. MYSQL is flexible, easy to install because of its lightweight and can scale to very heavy DB without the need for additional support. So far, there has not been a need to change to a new database management application for us. The only downside I have noticed is on query time speed. for instance, a query that use to call for 0.18 seconds now does 0.23 seconds due to DB expansion over the period of 1 year which is still acceptable.

Cons:

The need for technical support is overwhelming even though you will most likely find help on the internet. It is difficult to get your actual database performance base on your system specs adaptation like memory utilization and usage during different calls. There is a shocking lack of documentation for many functions embedded within the program and I had to resort to the internet to uncover their uses. You are going to have to learn MYSQL irrespective of your previous knowledge of query languages. This can be more difficult if you are totally new to structural languages and querying tables. The fact that MySQL does not support ARRAY data types means it cannot be adapted to certain situations and projects. I advise you get detailed need analysis before jumping on MYSQL to avoid data type mismatch and project regrets.

Pete
Sales Representative in US
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Scalable software for simple to complex applications

Comments: I have had a generally good experience with MySQL. The MySQL RDBMS overall is an excellent software platform. I use it for an auction website that I designed. It takes quite a bit of study to learn about things like the column types and proper table structuring but as a layperson (i.e. not a professional programmer) you can learn the software well enough to make proper use of the program.

Pros:

MySQL integrated really well with the PHP scripting language. MySQL is what is called a Relational Database Management System (RDBMS). It is a software system that uses the SQL database query language to manipulate data in a database. MySQL provides for data handling, storing, modifying, and deleting in a tabular format. You can design your database so that each table has a key to at least one other table and that each table can access data in every one of the other tables in the database (hence the word "relational"). With a properly designed MySQL database you won't have any orphaned rows or tables. The database queries that use SELECT, UPDATE, or DELETE are simple and straightforward to use with the PHP scripting language. As an end user, like myself, you don't have to install and maintain this software. The MySQL software comes preinstalled on most server hosting plans meaning the server hosting provider does the installation and maintenance for the software.

Cons:

The MySQL reference manual is not clear enough in describing how to utilize many of the features for MySQL. The manual is too technical and apparently is designed for persons with a high level of computer programming or technical knowledge. The manual is sometimes confusing when seeking to find the proper column type to use (i.e. TEXT, CHAR, VARCHAR, etc.). The Date and Time functions for MySQL like DATE and DATETIME are hard to understand and difficult to implement. The table join features are difficult to understand and use.

Carlos Aogusto
Director General in Venezuela

Excellent database management system

Comments: I am a developer of systems under web environment, and in many opportunities I use the MySQL database manager, it is a fundamental tool in my team for a long time.

Pros:

MySQL is open source software that allows anyone to use it and modify it. Anyone can download the MySQL source code and use it without paying. Anyone interested can study the source code and adjust it to their needs. MySQl is a relational, multi-threaded and multi-user database system with more than six million installations and is widely used in web applications, such as Drupal or phpBB, on platforms (Linux / Windows-Apache-MySQL-PHP / Perl / Python) Its popularity as a web application is mostly related to PHP, which usually appears in combination with MySQL. This database manager is one of the best in terms of performance since the speed of opreciones is very good. You can be executed in low-resource machines since the consumption of requirements for its execution is very low. It supports several opertative systems and is very easy to install and configure. There are a number of good quality software tools that provide management and development workspace functions. MySQL Workbench and TOAD for MySQL are good examples. Being open source there is a large amount of help on the Internet and this should help to reduce, in a production environment, incident handling times. Also, a lot of information so that your development team can read.

Cons:

A large percentage of MySQL utilities are not documented. The support for triggers is basic so there are certain limitations in what can be done with them. By handling referential integrity with non-transactional MyISAM tables. It does not treat them differently from the rest of the fields. Privileges for a table are not automatically deleted when a table is deleted. A REVOKE command must be explicitly used to remove privileges from a table.

Kwabena
Senior Research Scientist in Ghana
Research, 51–200 Employees

Feature rich and easy to use database management system

Comments: My experience with MySQL has been amazing.

Pros:

MySQL is easy to install and configure. You can quickly set it up in no time.

Cons:

So far for our usage, we are satisfied with the features.

Matthew
Software Developer in South Africa
Construction

Excellent relational database manager

Comments: As it's extremely easy to use, iv'e had no reason to change over to another database manager. However in theory it is scalable up to 8 TB, MySQL can not work efficiently with large database which is becoming a growing concern for me as my companies data is growing substantially.

Pros:

iv'e been developing for a few years now and using MySQL has made my programming an absolute breeze. MySQL is designed to focus on big data, especially for web development I originally used Microsoft SQL Server but chose to use MySQL instead which provides a great opportunity for a platform that is easy to integrate., is easily scaleable and has great data integrity. As i use MySQL for my company, we now have over 300 various active tables processing our data on a daily basis. Plugging into my IDE's for web development is extremely easy and reliable to work with. Because of its popularity over the years, there are solutions to nearly everything in MySQL. The amount of online learning material makes this a simple investment for anyone looking to utilize databases in their projects MySQL is a great place to start for companies that don't foresee using relational databases.

Cons:

Porting a MySQL application to Microsoft SQL Server, or to a competing SQL database engine, requires a significant amount work. as MYSQL is not backward compatible. Although in theory it is scalable up to 8 TB, MySQL can not work efficiently with large database.

Solomon
Web Developer in Nigeria
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

MySql is reliable and great for big organizations, but tedious for a lone noob programmer.

Comments: Overall, MySQL is a powerful and reliable database management system, but it may have some limitations when handling unstructured data and maintaining the schema. It offers robust data recovery options but might be cumbersome when compared to newer non-relational databases.

Pros:

I have been using MySQL for several years and I have to say, it has proven to be a reliable and powerful database management system. It offers robust data recoveries options such as binary log and InnoDB crash recovery, which gives me peace of mind knowing my data is safe. The data dictionary feature is also extremely useful, it makes managing the database and optimizing queries a breeze. Overall, I highly recommend MySQL to anyone in need of a solid, open-source database management system.

Cons:

I have been using MySQL for some time and I have to say, I find it to be quite cumbersome when compared to newer non-relational databases. One major issue I have encountered is the difficulty in handling large amounts of unstructured data, which is common in many modern applications. Additionally, the rigid schema and the effort required to maintain it can be a big headache, especially in a fast-paced development environment. These issues are typical in traditional RDBMS like MySQL and are less prevalent in Nrdbms