15 years helping Irish businesses

Microsoft OneNote Reviews

4.6 (1,651) Write a Review!

About Microsoft OneNote

Microsoft OneNote is a fully functional digital note taking application which can be used to organize, share and collaborate on ideas.

Learn more about Microsoft OneNote

Pros:

Like the rest of Microsoft Office, OneNote has a ton of features and integration with existing Microsoft software, making going between programs like excel and word nearly seamless.

Cons:

Once you build that “universe,” it can become very complicated to navigate. Sometimes I forget how I got to the place I originally set up and it can be frustrating.

Microsoft OneNote ratings

4.3

8.6/10

Microsoft OneNote has an overall rating of 4.6 out 5 stars based on 1,651 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Microsoft OneNote before?

Filter reviews (1,651)

William
William
Construction, 2–10 Employees

Dare to find a better note task program. Beautiful

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: I can't say enough about how great OneNote has made me more efficient and relieved a lot of stress from confusing notes/tasks.

Pros:

I love the notes and tasks making. The ability and way you rearrange and organize notes/tasks is bar none. Saved me so much time and headaches.

Cons:

For some reason Microsoft in general login is a bit clunky and not as smooth as I'd like,

ADRIAN
Barrister Attorney in UK
Law Practice, 51–200 Employees

Outstanding Way of Organising Notes and So Much More

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Amazing piece of software that I have used for over then years. I have multiple note books for work and personal material and I can access this across platforms - Windows and Mac as well as different devices. I could not be without OneNote!

Pros:

Microsoft OneNote provides the ability to handle multiple notebooks and pages with ease. It is great to be able to use the software cross platform and on any device - laptop, iPhone etc. Best of all it’s free with a purchase of Office.

Cons:

No facility to set reminders for tasks.

Magdalena
Consultant in UK
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Fell behind competition

3.0 last month New

Comments: This used to be a great option as it was quick to use and readily available with MS office purchase. However, with competitors like Notion and Obsidian available (at very reasonable cost), I rarely open one note nowadays. It’s a shame that it hasn’t had a proper update or user-significant new functionality added in years. Given what others can do there is just no reason to fire it up anymore

Pros:

Readily available with the MS suite. Simple UI.

Cons:

Sync and exports often fail, tagging and organising notes isn’t intuitive, no connection between notes and themes.

Hospital & Health Care, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Great for meeting minutes and action items

Comments: It is reliable, easy to use and share, and is a favorite collaboration tool among employees.

Pros:

It was easy to use and for employees to collaborate with. It is great to organize meeting notes and to-do tasks/action items. Especially since you can make multiple tabs and subpages.

Cons:

It was a little clunky when trying to move OneNote files from one location to another, especially with OneNote files stored in Microsoft SharePoint. We had issues a view times with issues merging changes when many people were editing at once and ended up with lost pages in the document. Also there is no way to recover just a single page if deleted.

Robin
Clinical Informatics Analyst in US
Hospital & Health Care, 501–1,000 Employees

Quick and Easy Note Taker

5.0 last week New

Comments: Overall experience was excellent and positive. It did everything we needed - ability to organize tasks, take notes for meetings, staff could refer back to our tipsheets.

Pros:

What I liked most is when traveling to seminars, my coworker and I could both be in OneNote at the same time taking notes and could sync and see each others notes. Love that it's so user friendly and easy to use.

Cons:

There's nothing that I can think of that was problematic in OneNote.

Joanna
Senior Media Specialist in US
Telecommunications, 10,000+ Employees

Essential for Everyday

5.0 last month New

Pros:

I love Microsoft OneNote for note taking and personal organization. I love how everything is automatically saved in one place, so I'm never afraid to lose my work and it is easy to keep everything organized within the app rather than in a ton of folders on a server or desktop.

Cons:

It is difficult to share notes and information within OneNote without messing up the formatting. I often have to copy notes into the body of an email or into a Word doc.

Rico
Technology Support Specialist in US
Government Administration, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Hits the right NOTE!

Comments: My overall experience with OneNote has been exceptional during my time using it.I can easily and effortlessly send emails, documents, and other media/correspondence to save for reference, projects, and task management later.

Pros:

I love OneNote because it's integrated into Microsoft 365 to use across various apps within that suite.

Cons:

A little tricky to figure out the nuances at first but it becomes second nature once you begin using it frequently.

Kendel
Graphic Design, Self Employed

Note App integrated with Office 369

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: The free OneNote app is available across your tablet, phone, and computer, allowing you to easily capture your ideas and to-do lists In one application.

Pros:

With subscription to Office 360 you get both downloadble software and use within a web browser. Paired with OneDrive storage is part of the subscription with affordable monthly costs you get the whole Office set of programs

Cons:

The free plan's 5 GB of storage can be quickly exhausted if users generate a high volume of notes.

Haimi
Haimi
Market Analyst in Portugal
Airlines/Aviation, 51–200 Employees

It's actually fun!

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: OneNote, after I reluctantly adopted it for chaperoning an important delegation abroad for a week, has been a game-changer. I was able to take notes in real-time, quickly edit them later that afternoon, and present a beautiful, thorough, and rather polished report straight from exporting my OneNote file before we had boarded our flights back home. Everyone was impressed, as was I, with the time-saving aspects of OneNote, and I have not looked back. I have since used it for long-form documents that need a lot of brainstorming, editing manuscripts, and general meeting note-taking.

Pros:

I love that I can get all my thoughts down in one go, all over the page, and come back to process, reorder, and format it later. It makes it very easy to make visually appealing notes and export the information to others.

Cons:

It did take me some time to get the hang of OneNote when it first came out (and when we first started using it around 2018-2019). So, I wouldn't necessarily expect everyone to know how to use it and don't really trust my colleagues to properly annotate on my OneNote file (I usually only send them the PDF once I'm done). Also, although its easy enough to find things within one OneNote tab, it can get messy when dealing with sub-notes, etc.

Ram
Java Software Engineer in US
Financial Services, 201–500 Employees

Microsoft OneNote is very good tool for note-taking and organization.

4.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

I love the easy note-taking where I can put anything from video, audio, text, and image as it supports free-form note-taking. I love the scan feature, which allows you to scan any image and extract text. I like the screenshot feature also.

Cons:

It has so many features that overwhelm new users. It takes some time to get used to this tool. Somedays I find it somewhat slow when using the tool. This tool can include other export formats namely HTML, CSV, etc. It allows only PDF and Word formats.

Sven
Tech Integrationist in Germany
Education Management, 51–200 Employees

An incredibly powerful one-stop-shop

Comments: Beyond these cons, OneNote is super-easy to use, powerful, and functional across all major platforms. Unfortunately, not all platforms offer the same features: Wiki-style links (creating links using [[ ]]) is not supported in the browser version nor on iPadOS.

Pros:

You can embed content from so many sites: Youtube, Thinglink, Coogle to name a few. Each notebook can contain as many section groups and sections as you want, with as many pages and sub-pages as you want. And each page is an infinite canvas. Bonus: You can store actual files on any pages that you can then later open in the appropiate app using a double click. The desktop version features OCR which is great for searching content in pictures.

Cons:

The way the infinite canvas works. You cannot scroll left or up from the top of the page - only right and down. That feels somewhat counterintuitive at times. Also, there should be easy sharing on the page level - as of the writing of this review, you can only share entire notebooks, meaning you give access to it all, even if all you wanted to do was to collaborate on a single page.

Nicholas
Nicholas
Director of Technology in US
Education Management, 51–200 Employees

OneNote: a great foundation for collaboration

Comments: OneNote has become central to our documentation at our organization. Especially after the integration between OneNote and Office 365 Groups and then Teams, the addition of the Collaboration Space and Documentation Library has helped us create central repositories that can be worked on simultaneously and frequently. Administration can collaborate and share materials and use the private spaces for groups members to take their own notes or have individual content distributed to them to work on or reflect upon.
I love this product and since growing with it in my career have also expanded to use it in my personal life for notetaking, organization, and planning.

Pros:

The notebook structure was very appealing to me when I first started using OneNote. Once I unbound myself from the concept of creating everything to translate to a printed letter size piece of paper it really took off. You can create your notebook and its contents to directly translate to what if it had to be printed. But you can also transform it to a fully interactive collection. With links to various other locations in the same notebook, other locations and materials on the internet, and even embedding videos and other documents directly in the pages of the notebook you can make the reach of the content presented to extend beyond the boundries of the document itself.

Cons:

The different versions - When OneNote transitioned to the web, it was during the focus on the Metro UI in Windows 8 and it suffered for it. The simplicity of what the web version could do was crippled by the ability of the internet browsers at the time. Over time it has increased in parity between the desktop version and the web, however - the Metro UI designed app has lingered and its design has stayed truer to the web version than the original desktop version. It is getting harder to find the desktop version that has content central and navigation to the left, top, and right sides. The web, mobile app, and "for windows 10" versions make navigation subjectively more complex when you have extensively robust notebooks.

Ralph
Help Desk Technician III in US
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 201–500 Employees

The best choice for notetaking

Comments: My overall experience with OneNote has been positive. It does exactly what it's supposed to do.

Pros:

OneNote is incredibly easy to use and the interface makes it extremely simple to add to my notes as well as search them. I have to use OneNote constantly every day and it is my preferred notation program thanks to ease of use.

Cons:

When notebooks are shared via email or SharePoint invitations it does not automatically add the notebook to the users list of notebooks. I have had several users looking for notebooks which were essentially hiding under the "More Notebooks" button.

Betsy
Photography, Self Employed

Not my favorite for note compilation

Comments: I used it for managing email templates, project notes, and the like. I didn't like having to sync with my other devices and having things be changed in two places = sync issues.

Pros:

it comes with office 365, so I used it...as it was already on all the computers I had. I didn't have to install another piece of software or pay for another subscription.

Cons:

Your data is stored in a clunky "onenotes" notebook file -- and it is (or was?) difficuly to sync to other devices

Mohamed Salah
Project Manager in Tunisia
Management Consulting, 2–10 Employees

My Personal Experience with Microsoft OneNote

Comments: Overall, Microsoft OneNote is an incredibly useful and powerful note-taking tool. It is versatile, customizable, and feature-rich, and is perfect for any user who needs a comprehensive way to capture and organize their thoughts and ideas.

Pros:

Microsoft OneNote is an incredibly versatile and user-friendly note-taking program that allows users to quickly and easily capture notes and ideas. The platform is highly customizable and allows for a wide range of features such as templates, text formatting, password protection, and more.

Cons:

Despite its many positive features, Microsoft OneNote can be a bit difficult to navigate and can be overwhelming for new users. Additionally, certain features require a subscription in order to access them.

Ashik
Senior Quality Engineer in Germany
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 201–500 Employees

Incredible application for note and document management.

Comments: For online task management or taking notes on business meetings, this is very intuitive and useful. It actually saved some time in arranging the meeting notes. Arranging and compiling clients data has become more convenient after using this application.

Pros:

This software came with Microsoft 365 subscription. The features are very convenient to deal with. Taking any notes online is just a work of few seconds. The added task can be managed and the notes can be separated at ease. There is option for distinguishing the notes in arranging by sub order.Also, different types of annotation in different color can be added in files. The OCR is also a great addition to OneNote. The cloud backup is secured and saves a lot of time.

Cons:

Sometimes,while taking notes in online meetings,it lags a bit. In working with bigger files,the pen sometimes do not change even after clicking.

Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Worklife organization = peace of mind

Comments: Migrated from Evernote a few years ago and never looked back. Keeps my work life organized and in sync across all my devices!

Pros:

It's free and offers all the tools to keep your work life organized. I use it daily to organize my tasks (great and easy to use ToDo list features!), to keep and organize notes from meetings and to write memos or analysis of tasks I perform. The Notebook>Tabs>Notes organization is simple and effective.

Cons:

The notebook>tabs>notes interface could be rethinked. As it is, it is functional, no doubt, but I can help feeling that some other views of this greater organization of your notes could be improved. It would also be great if double clicking to tray icon opened the app instead of the quick note shortcut (it can be changed in the options thou). Small grievances.

Stella Maris
Stella Maris
ESL in Argentina
Education Management, Self Employed

OneNote, a multipurpose 21st Century Tool for Lifelong Learners

Comments: I plan my classes and curate content. OneNote has helped me shape the way I organize and manage my classes and curate content as a participant, presenter and author. I can search content in all my notebooks in a very short time, create portfolios of learning progress over years, move, copy, archive and delete sections or pages. Digital ink, lasso conversion, linked notes, degrees of privacy, audio and video recordings, printouts, symbols, emoji, stickers, equations, drawing, dictionary tools with Thesaurus, immersive reader with speed and voice control, identification of main parts of speech, reading line focus, visual vocabulary input and image to text conversion are some of the most valuable features allowing the promotion , development and assessment of main 21st Century hard and soft skills in PBL ( Project Based Learning) , Remote Learning and Home Office Work. The Send to OneNote feature in different formats makes it unique since users can annotate their bookmarks and enhance them with extra content . App smashing through OneNote it effective since it allows multiple integrations with LMS, platforms like Buncee ,Wakelet, Office apps, Flipgrid, Genially, Whiteboard.chat, Kahoot, Quizlet, Sketchfab, PhET interactive simulations, Adobe Spark, EdPuzzle, Playposit, etc.

Pros:

I like everything. It helps me organize content, plan, deliver & assess learning paths, keep records of multimedia resources supporting learning beyond school walls through assistive technology, data management with support and feedback to allow student voice, choice and agency as well as autonomous learning.

Cons:

I only dislike the fact that I did not use it as a student. I wish I had had such a powerful learning app at school. It is permanently adding new features to make learning accessible, memorable and enjoyable not only for students but for PD , content curation and regular use at home.

E-Learning, 51–200 Employees

Review of Microsoft OneNote

Comments: Yes, I start of saying that OneNote has been part of my life just before pandemic in March 2022. I have used it for lecture notes, live wiring in my video lectures and setting up questions for academics. It has been a very fruitful experience using OneNote. In fact watching my success with OneNote, i have my collogues also to use OneNote frequently. Students have loved it. It has become my sole source of communication and constant engagement with my learners during last 2 years. Loved using OneNote and will highly recommend OneNote to teachers community.

Pros:

OneNote is very easy to use, interface and collaborate in PC, and mobile simultaneously. The natural (handwritten) writings comes out as high quality and are visually appealing. I have been informed by lot of leaners that they loved the notes made in OneNote. The pdf output comes out as high quality every single time. The shapes feature in OneNote has also helped to lot of times , instead of drawing manual shapes. The stroke eraser and normal eraser of different sizes is a huge plus too. The feature called lasso has saves tons of my time to duplicate any content within OneNote workspace.

Cons:

Only it takes someone time to update the contents written. Perhaps the desktop version of OneNote if i felt is more powerful, would love to have similar capacity with mobile version of OneNote. L would be loved it even more when it would be indicated that i have written out of bound, meaning when i convert my writing content into pdf, sometimes content is cut horizontally or vertically, that means i have gone out of bounds of current workspace. That was frustrating sometimes when contents is really huge and has to be converted in one pdf. If OneNote has a feature to indicate the page limit that would be great.

Rubie
Operational and Operational Excelence Senior Leader in US
Pharmaceuticals, 5,001–10,000 Employees

One Note: Business Leader must have

Comments: Excellent program that have help me have everything in one place and perfectly organized.

Pros:

I am a leader in my organization and because of my position I have tons of meetings. This an excellent program for meetings preparation, take meetings notes and keep tracking of meeting next steps. You can create independents notebooks and you can share the notebooks with your peers. I monitor group vacations, birthdays, recognition, project status, metrics, etc.As leader I keep tracking of 1:1 meetings that I have with my staff by person and by dates and can monitor developmental plans, performance status and next steps. This works perfectly with excel and Outlook. You can share by e-mails all the minutes taken in a meeting.

Cons:

The program by itself it is simple to use, but if you are going to use linked with Outlook could be difficult to use. I asked for help to be able to do it.

Simone
Teacher in Australia
E-Learning, 51–200 Employees

More than one way to use OneNote

Comments: OneNote has been an excellent app that I have utilized for notetaking at university, and continued to use to create school-wide documentation and teaching and learning materials. It is a fantastic platform whose benefits outweigh the minor challenges.

Pros:

OneNote offers an organic tool to create and curate a curriculum for an educational setting. It allows a great amount of freedom for users, you can create layouts that are free-flowing and visually engaging, or more linear structured documents.

Cons:

There are difficulties exporting or printing pages from OneNote; as there are no page lines, if you export a page as a .pdf file it usually does not fit traditional A4/A3 measurements. Also, there is a current shift from OneNote for Windows 10 to the original app, which has a significant impact on how OneNote appears to users.

Mohd
Technical Consultant in Canada
Real Estate, 51–200 Employees

A centralized location for all your notes

Comments: Currently, I used OneNote to organized my meeting's notes and to attach them into an email so it's easy for me to send it to my colleagues. This is sometimes very useful when you are in hurry and wanted to inform what are the points were discussed in the meeting. Secondly, it is also very convenient to use it on all the platforms whether I wanna use it on my phone or my computer. I am exploring more ways as this is a powerful tool and has very few limitations which make it value for money.

Pros:

it gives you the ability to create your notes as you create on a physical notebook, moreover, this notebook can be accessed from anywhere as long as you have access to the internet. The most unique part of OneNote is you can add multimedia and create your documents as much presentable as want. These documents can also be shared with others like your friends or colleagues, it would make this software as a one-stop solution for most of the writing and editing of your notes. I used many older versions of OneNote and then after upgrading to new versions of OneNote I came to know that your older note will not get erased. you can also use OneNote app for your smartphones which makes easier to modify your changes or to view any documents on the go.

Cons:

One thing I would ever want in OneNote is the integration between various platforms, Currently, Onenote allows you to create notes or documents to share it with only OneNote users, whereas if I want to share it with Evernote users it will not give me an option for that. Moreover, I can not even import Evernote's documents notes into OneNote or vice versa. There are other ways through which you can do it but for that one has to download a migration tool. The security is also one of the issues which I always take into consideration when creating any personal note where I wanted it to be encrypted with a password. There should be some ways into OneNote where you can have a personal space which can be used for those secure documents.

E-Learning, 2–10 Employees

Great tool for for online note taking and organization.

Comments: Overall, I would still recommend using OneNote despite the occasional hiccups. It is a very reliable and easy to use note taking and organization software that I would recommend.

Pros:

One of the best features is the easy organization that OneNote provides. You can create 1 notebook, with many sub-sections and within each sub-sections, you can have additional pages for notes. The software is very self explanatory so complete beginners/children can easily figure out how the notebook works. The organization of the notebook also allows you to move pages/sections around in the notebook which I really like because if you end up deciding that one page doesn't belong in a section, you can move it to where it belongs. Another feature that I really like is the photo/document adding tool. When using OneNote on the iPad, you can directly take a picture and upload it into your notes so you don't have to manually write down everything. It is also easy to add in a document/pdf/slideshow and annotate directly on it (if you have an iPad) and once you are done with the document, you can very quickly send it to an email/chat/person all just through the OneNote app.

Cons:

There has been 2 instances OneNote has crashed when I've used the app for too long and some of the notes I had made did not save. Another thing that I wish could be improved is if there is an option to recover deleted notes. If you accidentally deleted a notebook because my hand slipped and pressed the wrong button and there is no way to recover that notebook/pages (at least that I am aware of).

Jessa
US
Financial Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Office Product with the fewest syncing issues.

Pros:

I'm completely dependent on OneNote. It's so easy to use and flexible, it holds every project in my life now, from planning out and organizing 60 slide competitor analysis presentations, to scheduling recipes for meal plans. It plays well with the other products, and unlike Word, I've never had a problem with syncing conflicts and generating unnecessary backup local copies, and I have yet to lose a single word of work. In fact, for one of my books, I didn't use Word at all and ended up doing all the chapters in the same planning pages I kept in OneNote. It's my secret weapon when it comes to brainstorming and organization and I can't believe more people don't use it, but then again, I am a more visual/creative person, so the ability to quickly throw notes or record a message and be able to arrange, sort or search and actually find it later is vital. Years ago, I used to use Springpad, and since then, I've tried Trello, Evernote, and all kinds of apps, but nothing has stuck.

Cons:

Very few, it's so flexible it fills in a lot of gaps. I'd like it to be more visually customizable, like if you could add a backdrop of a chart or table similar to the Stormboard templates. Right now it just has a few pastel colors and lined and gridded paper types.

Yvon Gabriel
Freelancer in Philippines
Computer Software, Self Employed

Honest review about Microsoft OneNote (1 1/2 years of experience)

Comments: Overall, my life would be unrecognizable without One Note! It's changed the game for overall company performance, and everyone in my organization utilizes Microsoft OneNote for note recording and task management. This program has been really valuable to me because it includes various capabilities that make my work simpler, such as note management and project management. It is also a pretty simple piece of software to use and sync. It is also beneficial to businesses of all sizes.

Pros:

I enjoy that I can use OneNote on any of my devices. So, if I don't have my laptop with me because I'm away from the workplace, I may use my smartphone. My team also appreciates the ability to communicate comments with one another for progress reports and team notes. One note allowed me to effortlessly insert images, sounds, and movies from many formats into the software. The program also included a time stamp and copyright information to ensure that due credit was given to the appropriate sources. The application enabled a straightforward and entertaining presentation of facts.

Cons:

The loss of knowledge was one of the most aggravating elements of this service. Annual program changes would result in the loss of data from the previous version to the upgraded version. I worked with IT personnel, who couldn't figure out why my old data wouldn't transfer to the new upgraded version. This resulted in a loss of productivity since I had to remember data and certain information was no longer available.