15 years helping Irish businesses

Square for Retail Reviews

About Square for Retail

Whether you sell online or in store, Square for Retail can work for your retail business no matter your size or style.

Learn more about Square for Retail

Pros:

They offered the first $1,000 of sales with no fees due to a referral and you can share a code so the referrer and the referral recipient can both get that discount. What a great way to start.

Cons:

It requires internet connection, so it cannot be used is there is poor or no network/wifi or you cannot hotspot. Fees can sometimes be pricey on the business.

Square for Retail ratings

4.7
4.4
4.6
4.5

8.8/10

Square for Retail has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 476 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Square for Retail before?

Chase
Chase
IT Sales in US
Facilities Services, 2–10 Employees

Great for entrepreneurs

Comments: It is very easy to use and convenient for my customers

Pros:

The ease of use for this product is amazing. I love how you can make a sale with the virtual terminal by either swiping a card or sending an invoice.

Cons:

The fees per use can be cumbersome. However all pay portals have some sort of fee to use their product.

Janet

Great Point of sale system

Comments: Awesome and after using two other point of sale systems we have had no issues with the system going down. Very reliable.

Pros:

Easy to use! Download the App and get setup. I just recently bought their Square Register and it is awesome. Customer service will help you get the right APP for your business.

Cons:

Been using their credit card device for well over a year and have never had any issues. There isn’t one thing i don’t like.

Alternatives Considered: Shopify

Reasons for Choosing Square for Retail: Terrible customer service, terrible app and so many issues with their credit card equipment going down.

Switched From: Lightspeed Retail

Reasons for Switching to Square for Retail: Worked best for my business, and has so many options. Marketing, payroll, loyalty etc.

Melanie
Business Owner in US
Events Services, 2–10 Employees

They Allow Fraud and Theft

Comments: Horrible experience. Square permits fraudulent chargebacks against your company. A client purchased multiple packages totally thousands of dollars from my company, received the services, and then disputed the charges as 'unrecognized'. I provided the following to square:
Her signed contracts, with an anti-chargeback clause
Photos of us performing the services at the event, with her in the photos
Absolute fraud.

Pros:

People understand how to use it, so it's widely accepted as a valid method of payment and no one is nervous about using it (they should be!)

Cons:

Square permits fraudulent chargebacks against your company. A client purchased multiple packages totally thousands of dollars from my company, received the services, and then disputed the charges as 'unrecognized'. I provided the following to square: Her signed contracts, with an anti-chargeback clause Photos of us performing the services at the event, with her in the photos A chain of her emails, including an email after her event thanking us for job well done Despite this proof and legally binding contract, Square sided with her and removed the funds from my account. I had to sit with my bank to file a dispute with Square, put a hold on all charges by Square, and start using an entirely different payment processor just to avoid Square stealing my money. Absolute fraud.

Coree
Fashion Retailer in US
Retail, Self Employed

Perfect On-the-Go Payment Solution!

Comments: When I first began using Square, it was simply for fundraisers. My husband and I would participate in events, and we would allow patrons to make donations to the charity we were fundraising for. Now, as I begin designing my online store for home decor and crafts that I sell, there was no guessing on where I would have my store set up. Square has truly made it that easy to work with, that I suggest using them to everyone I know!

Pros:

I absolutely LOVE the ease of use of Square! The app allows you to literally set up your shop in mere minutes, and then allows you to input your products with prices for an easy tap to add it to your customer's cart. I especially love the Square business card that holds all my funds, which makes keeping business money separate from family funds so much easier!

Cons:

I honestly cannot think of anything that I do not love about this software. It is designed in a way that allows even the least techy person to set up their store and products, and go through a checkout seamlessly.

Craig
Biz Dev in US
Apparel & Fashion, 2–10 Employees

Square is a great payment platform for retail stores.

Comments: This system works great for pop-ups and retail stores. You can also track what you sell and square sends you emails when you are low on products. We will continue to use Square

Pros:

How simple it is to set up. You know exactly how much you are being charged. There is no hidden extra add ons. Square updated the os, so now if your customer wants to return 1 item and they purchased two, you just pull up the item and hit return.

Cons:

Just make sure you do all the updates for square and os system for any pad you are using. We use an Ipad and it works great! Not much to not like.

Alternatives Considered: Cloverleaf

Reasons for Switching to Square for Retail: I liked the way it looked. Especially when it was paired with Apple products. Most importantly it was easy to use. This made it very easy to train our employees.

Marc
Business Owner in US

Daily User

Comments: Totally love it. i'm happy with the features, and I'm sure that by being well funded I will continue to see new features come up, unlike software I previously used that wasn't as well funded.

Pros:

I enjoy easily keeping track of my customer's info, including the ability to create my own custom fields and also group customers. These features make it easy for me to note a history with a customer, aside from just their purchases. Grouping customers allows me to enter a location, find the group of customers there, and know everyones name as a result of this reference

Cons:

I wish it were easier to transfer my client lest from other software, but thats the nature of software I guess.

Mayela
Owner in Canada
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

The simplest payment processing system

Comments: I have a small a small business and the square software works well for my needs

Pros:

The software is very easy to install. The pairing of the software with either the magstripe or the contactless reader is quite fast. Processing payments is a breeze and both readers can be used on the go or a set location.

Cons:

I don’t have any problems with the software itself. It would be nice to have a better rate for card processing.

Alternatives Considered: ClinicSense , QuickBooks Online and PayPal Zettle

Reasons for Choosing Square for Retail: I was unsatisfied with the service and the fees paid

Reasons for Switching to Square for Retail: I liked the fact that there was not contract or installation fees. Also there is no monthly or retal fees. The equipment is inexpensive.

Janna
owner in US
Arts & Crafts, 2–10 Employees

Square is super easy and I love it.

Comments: Overall, it's awesome, super easy to use and I love it.

Pros:

I love how easy it was to start taking credit cards and to use Square as my POS. It syncs to my accounting software automatically and keeps track of all my products, invoices and charges.

Cons:

There isn't an automatic section for shipping and I have to add it manually as its own category. Not sure why they haven't built this into their invoicing platform yet even though so many people have asked about this.

Katherine
Katherine
Editor in US
Publishing, 2–10 Employees

Square is the Obvious Choice for POS Vendors

Pros:

It is reliable for customers and easy to use by our staff.

Cons:

We haven't come up with any complaints other than minor difficulties with connectivity in certain situations beyond Squares control.

Chad
Chad
Chair Elect in US
Entertainment, Self Employed

Best POS for a small non-profit or business

Comments: Great fast point of sale software that does what it does very well.

Pros:

This software provides the best tools for managing sales on a small scale. It is fast, easy to use,and full featured.

Cons:

Honestly, this is one of the least expensive options out there but it would be nice to not lose the service charges from our income.

Alternatives Considered: PayPal Commerce Platform

Reasons for Switching to Square for Retail: Less expensive, easier to use, and generally better customer service.

Kathryn

Awesome Product

Comments: Overall, I am very satisfied it seems they have thought of everything when it comes to this app. They also have fantastic customer service if you need to call them with questions. I started my business last year and square has been fantastic to use for pop up's. Processing payments is a breeze and I have had very small issues that were resolved quickly and with ease.

Pros:

I love the app that goes with this product. I hold many pop up events for my shop and the square is fantastic for this. Adding inventory and processing payments is fantastic. I set up the app in very little time and thought it would take so much longer. I really like being able to use it with my phone and ipad and it has made payments so much easier. I will only use this software for my pop up shops.

Cons:

Sometimes I have wifi issues, but they have a great feature that will still accept payments offline. So even though its a pain, I still receive payment later.

Alternatives Considered: Stripe

Reasons for Switching to Square for Retail: Square was so much easier to use.

Julianne
Writer in US
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 11–50 Employees

Best POS system I've found

Comments: As a small business owner, I would highly recommend Square over other services that have higher fees and monthly charges. It's easy to use and I almost never experience glitches, so customer service isn't even needed that much.

Pros:

Despite what I wrote in my "cons", this really is the best software I've found for card sales for my company. Most of them charge you a monthly fee in addition to a percentage of every sale, which thankfully is not the case with Square. It's very easy to use if you're not familiar with POS software. Customer service is also very easy to reach and quite friendly from my experience.

Cons:

Unfortunately, you have to buy their most expensive software to only have 2.4% taken out from every credit card purchase. Otherwise, you'll be charged more. I know that's just how POS systems are... but it's too bad we are charged a percentage of every purchase to simply use their product, given it's not their money. I also wish there were more customization features available. I just used Quickbooks (which is compatible with Square) instead of Square itself to do all the customizing so I also didn't have to put Square advertisements on all of our receipts, which doesn't look very professional.

Keturah
Executive Assistant in US
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 2–10 Employees

Simple and easy to use

Comments: My experience with it has been very good. To the point that I have no need or desire to change it. I can save peoples data on file to make that easier for them. I can run necessary reports as needed. I could do more with it however we really don't have the need for it.

Pros:

I use this for 2 purposes, 1) for our synagogue's gift shop and sales 2) as an option for our members to submit their tithes and offerings. I have both the simple square reader that I can use from my iphone as well as the stabilized system that holds the ipad with the card swiper and chip reader attachment. It is just so easy to use. I also like that the funds are moved to our accounts with out me having to move it or request it to be moved. I also like that the fee is taken out first then the amount is deposited rather that the full amound being deposited and a fee taken out monthly. It just simplifies it.

Cons:

I really don't have any complaints about it. I have used it before in my personal business and recommended it for the synagogue. There was a time that you would have had to invest in a credit card machine that was much more expensive. I am glad that something like square came along.

Chace
Freelance graphic artist in US
Animation, Self Employed

Square is the catalyst to making my passion have value.

Comments: I am a freelance graphic artist. I use this software to make it easy to put value in my art. I now have the easiest way to my a living on my work anywhere I am or will be. Overall wonderful experience.

Pros:

The most favorable feature in using square is its simplicity. In less than 10 minutes I was all set up with full understanding of how the software worked. It was quick and clean and practically effortless. When I was all finished I couldn’t believe it I said “ wow, really? That’s it? I’m done?” Great interface with extremely user-friendly and modern design.

Cons:

I honestly have no complaints. I have yet to run into any bugs or performance issues. Which, when there’s money involved is hard to come across and a very crucial detail. I had to speak with an operator one time and that was a fault entirely of my own and was user-friendly and convenient. He was helpful and the issue was rectified within minutes. Sorry but really can’t say a bad thing yet.

Tahnee
Retail, 11–50 Employees

Love Square! I've been using it a year and am very happy with everything!

Pros:

I love the integration with Big Commerce so I can easily sell online and in store with inventory syncs immediately. We do a lot of volume so the immediate inventory sync is very important to us or we would oversell items.

Cons:

The retail app needs some work but I understand they need more time to update the software. Once the bugs get worked out, I would love to have a complete retail POS solution. In my mind it would include, physical inventory counts using scanners for tons of inventory -preferable to have multiple people doing different parts of the store at the same time. Included in retail should be a report for the inventory status/financial which would include total count, total cost, and total retail price of the entire store/warehouse. Also, a better integration for Quickbooks online. I'm scared to add this integration because it gets horrible reviews.

Kelsey
lot manager in US
Retail, 11–50 Employees

First time Square user

Comments: Work for a company that only exists for 2 months of the year (winter seasonal), and was very easy to have people trained on it in a short period of time. Easy for customers to use online

Pros:

Use this product for just 6 weeks, was very very easy to learn and had people using it that were generally not good at computers. They also had an easy time using it. Easy to change product description at one location or across all locations. Really enjoyed the reports, easy to manipulate

Cons:

Really really challenging to use on a ipad for scheduling and adjusting people's time cards. Was very slow and would regularly crash. (This was specific for this app, all other functions on the ipad worked fine and quickly). Online orders, loved that when they came through you could update the progressed. HATED that you could not undo it. Would like to see the function that you could go forward and backwards, not just forwards. Online orders - customers would enter address online and it would go to the shop "closest" to their location. However this was closest as the crow flies, not closest for driving directions. Would love to see it function off of driving directions. Frequently, a people would make a curbside order and they would end up going to the second or third closest location to where they lived due to this

Russell
Music Producer in US
Entertainment, 2–10 Employees

Recieve Your Payment In Any Form With This Innovative Software

Comments: I utilize Square for Retail anytime that I am selling my merch in the streets. For example, if a customer is not carrying any cash, I simply will let them utilize their credit or debit card to make their purchase on the spot.

Pros:

The thing that I liked most about this particular software is the fact that it makes it possible for you receive any form of payment no matter where you are. It's simply the epitome of convenience.

Cons:

There were no cons with this particular software; and I can guarantee you that you would have an extremely hard time finding any as well.

Steve
Youth Pastor in US
Religious Institutions, 11–50 Employees

Square - Useful for Churches as Well!

Comments: We have used Square to help facilitate receiving CC payments from our "customers" in both our church's coffee shop and book resource center, and it has been great! I would definitely recommend this to any church trying to open a coffee shop or book resource center of their own.

Pros:

I appreciate how Square has so easily integrated into our church's in-house coffee shop and also our church's book resource center (like a small book store). Square just makes the running of our coffee shop and book resource center so EASY!

Cons:

The only drawback that I can see is that, in our church, we have a population of individuals who may be unfamiliar with the idea of swiping a credit card through a device attached to an iPad... I can see how the "newness" of this tool might be daunting to some individuals (and thus potentially hinder them from using it), but on the whole, this is a very SMALL concern. So far, the "pros" have FAR outweighed the "cons"!

Self Employed in US

One Stop, Square for Retail

Comments: Auditing inventory is so easy, you can set alerts to remind you when stock gets low. I can collect money anywhere I am and online. This gets deposited in my bank account within 24 hours usually. The reports are easy for anyone to understand. I can also get a vendor sales report so I can see which of my vendors have the hottest selling items.

Pros:

I love that I do not need any other applications to manage my payments and inventory. I have everything at my finger tips with this application.

Cons:

I know some people complain about the service charges. 2.6% plus $.10 per transaction at the time of this review.

Mim
Technical Product Owner in US
Computer Software, 201–500 Employees

Super easy to use and avoids the common problem of not having cash on hand!

Comments: I appreciate that this system exists for business owners as I use it often when shopping locally. I rarely carry cash around anymore, so it's super helpful to have a system like this to utilize. I also trust it more than having to "securely" pay someone through another system that involves sending them a payment vs being able to swipe my card using the magnetic strip reader.

Pros:

Living in an area where there are a lot of community events (farmers markets), smaller boutiques and local shops, I tend to use this as a consumer a lot. I love how simple it is to utilize when I'm checking out, how it allows me to use a card vs having to carry cash around.

Cons:

I can't think of any cons to this system as a consumer and user of it. There might be charges incurred for the business owners that implement or purchase the system, but I would say it is definitely worth it from a consumer-standpoint.

Great POS for Small Business

Comments: Overall we are pleased with Square and its features. We would like to see Square integrate better with other platforms.

Pros:

Square is great for small business it allows the merchant to just pay a fee when a card is swiped rather than a monthly service fee and the percentage charged for swiping a card. They do have an inventory tracking system which is great if that is the only platform you use for inventory. You also get the benefit of free hardware if you choose not to purchase the Square POS system. Square deposits are quick, no holding funds for long periods of time like PayPal. Overall Square is very versatile and we have been very happy with it.

Cons:

The inventory tracking system is cumbersome and doesn't work nicely with QBO or Shopify. It cannot sync with our Shopify store which ultimately means we have to keep both platforms updated which is a real pain.

Jerry
Computer Hardware, 2–10 Employees

Great solution

Pros:

Inexpensive to buy! Swipers are free and chip readers are only 49.00. Square is easy to use in store or out of store. Processing fees are the lowest I've found anywhere.

Cons:

Make sure you use a tablet thats fast. Don't buy a cheap tablet of 30.00. pay upward of 75.00 other wise its very slow.

James
Food & Beverages, Self Employed

Easy to get started and expand as you grow!

Comments: Outstanding overall. Square is super reliable and user friendly.

Pros:

I like how easy it is to create a great looking online storefront. Clean and simple design options, easy to add/delete items, keep track of inventory, and an endless list of benefits!

Cons:

It is limited as far as page layout and imagery! The gift card function is not displayable on the product pages... or if it is I've not yet figured it out.

Kevin
CEO in US
Sporting Goods, 2–10 Employees

Seamless Website Integration

Comments: Amazing solution that just works! Loyalty program is awesome and like everything else, seamless. Honestly was not even planning on keeping the software once a better solution was put in place. This IS the better solution!

Pros:

I was able to have my website up and running within a day after the design team I hired to build my site were unable to deliver it in over a month's time. Once you have input your products to sell it is a seamless process to get them onto your own website with Weebly.

Cons:

There is a bit of redundancy when adding new products, but not too bad. Especially once you get the hang of it.

Alternatives Considered: Wix and Shopify

Reasons for Switching to Square for Retail: Inegration.

Tin
Photographer in US
Photography, Self Employed

Square

Pros:

I love that it's so easy to send invoices in just a second! It keeps track of your clients names and client info, services, invoices etc which is such a timesaver! I can look st a glance and know what invoices have been paid and which ones need to send again.

Cons:

I would love there to be a way to enter services in so you don't have to type it in each time when making an invoice.