15 years helping Irish businesses

About SendGrid

Twilio SendGrid is the leading cloud-based email delivery platform, trusted by the world's fastest-growing brands.

Learn more about SendGrid

Pros:

The software is powerful and while advances it’s quite easy to get a hang of.

Cons:

The customer support was the worst I have ever experienced.

SendGrid ratings

4.1
3.8
4.1
4.0

7.5/10

SendGrid has an overall rating of 4.2 out 5 stars based on 719 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used SendGrid before?

Lindsey Raye
Lindsey Raye
Email Marketing Specialist in US
Marketing & Advertising, 5,001–10,000 Employees

SendGrid has great deliverability

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Using programs like Rackspace and Heroku to use dynamic customer data from other platforms other than CRM

Cons:

Changing of hands to Twilio changed a few features but more plug ins

Alternatives Considered: Constant Contact, Lead Gen & CRM (formerly SharpSpring), Salesforce Marketing Cloud, CMPRO, Heroku, Mailchimp and Lead Liaison

Switched From: QuickBooks Desktop Pro, BriteVerify, Salesforce Sales Cloud and Heroku

Jennifer
Jennifer
Human Resources Generalist in US
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

Sendgrid'e Email API has solved our problems in email campaigns

Comments: In addition to having their emails filtered as spam, sales representatives were unable to monitor their recipients' actions when sending them via their email client. Our problem was fixed via Sendgrid's email API.

Pros:

Integrating with the email API is a breeze. When compared to other mass email service providers, we have seen that SendGrid consistently produces the highest interaction rates. The ability to automatically retry sent emails is a good bonus.

Cons:

There is no consistency in the percentages of emails opened or clicked. There is currently no mechanism to block measurements that originate from email service provider bots.

Thomas
Senior IT Developer in UK
Marketing & Advertising, 51–200 Employees

Using SendGrid As An SMTP Service (Integrating With Other Software)

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall we're really happy with SendGrid and have been using them for years now with no thought of moving or going back to our old method (which was just sending all of our emails over our regular SMTP details, which came with lots of drawbacks and undelivered emails).

Pros:

We like how SendGrid provides us with a central platform which we can send emails to from our multiple other Platforms and have them all sent together from one Platform. It was also really useful for us to be able to purchase a Static IP Address just for ourselves, as this has increased both our reputation and the amount of our emails which are delivered now vs before we moved to SendGrid.

Cons:

The initial setup, getting a Static IP Address and learning about the reporting features took a little bit of time to get used to, however this is probably to be expected with this type of product and it did not take us too long. We also had to "warm up" the new Static IP Address which we purchased, which meant sending some emails over a Shared Pool IP Address for so many days but, again, this is probably to be expected to help with reputation etc.

Gustavo
Marketing Manager in Malta
Gambling & Casinos, 201–500 Employees

Needs improvement

2.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Quite simple to use which can sometimes lead to limitations

Cons:

I had several problems in sending due to differences in the database. the planning of the campaigns is non-existent within this tool.

Dylan
Dylan
Software Developer in UK
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Pretty solid product with a good reputation, but can be pricey

Comments: My overall experience with SendGrid has been positive. I appreciate its reliability, detailed analytics, and user-friendly interface. My only concerns are with pricing scalability and occasional customer support challenges, but the platform consistently delivers effective and impactful email campaigns.

Pros:

SendGrids high deliverability rates, solid tracking metrics and easy to use interface make it a very attractive offering in a competitive space.

Cons:

The pricing structure mean that scalability can be a concern, there are some sudden jumps in pricing. The step from 200k to 250k emails a month takes you from $89.95/mo to $249/mo which is a suddenly 3x cost increase, with similar 2x increases at the next intervals. Having unit-based pricing would be less stressful than suddenly crossing a threshold.

Alternatives Considered: HubSpot Marketing Hub, Mailchimp Transactional Email and Mailchimp

Reasons for Choosing SendGrid: SendGrids developer tools made it far easier to integrate with than Mailchimp, for what we needed to do.

Switched From: Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid: The developer offering was much simpler, and the starting pricing was fairly attractive if a little bit of a honeypot to get you on their ladder.

Higher Education, 201–500 Employees

Integrated with Envision

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

I love the visual editor - it makes putting together email campaigns quite simple. Being able to edit both desktop and mobile independently is always a plus. I love that it integrates with our Salon booking system - Envision.

Cons:

Current limitations placed on Envision/SendGrid integration is only 5000 emails per location. We would love to increase but were told we are not able to. Also, unable to view campaign statics with the integrated platform.

Enrico
Customer Service Manager in US

My Experience With SendGrid

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

I like that it comes with email security features It makes customer engagement easy Email marketing and tracking is easy too It makes the best email marketing solution for business.

Cons:

SendGrid has met business needs. No dislikes.

Erick
Product Marketing Manager in Brazil
Computer Software, 201–500 Employees

Powerful but difficult to setup and use

4.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

Its API is flexible and has a good starting price.

Cons:

It's not easy to set up and maintain. Its options are confusing and the interface looks outdated.

Alternatives Considered: Intercom

Switched From: HubSpot Marketing Hub, RD Station and Mailchimp

Danny
Danny
Marketing Manager in US
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Solid platform with a few drawbacks

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: For the price, I feel like SendGrid can definitely work for certain companies. It’s easy to setup and start using. If you rely heavily on campaign analytics, I’d look elsewhere.

Pros:

The user interface is fairly intuitive and easy to navigate. Template and list management tools are also nice.

Cons:

After SendGrid was acquired by Twilio, we saw a downgrade in service. Engagement analytics were not as reliable since many spam filters were showing as clicks. It made it hard to determine which campaigns were actually successful.

Sammy
Product Designer in Canada
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 11–50 Employees

Reliable but not the best email tool for designing

3.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

Sendgrid is a very reliable tool and has all the functionalities needed.

Cons:

Design tools could be enhanced, it's limiting in terms of what you can do for design.

Dome
Digital Director in Italy
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

That's the best smtp software you can get for your buck

Comments: i would recommend sendrgrig to everyone my mum included. It's just the best smtp provider if you consider money and value

Pros:

ok this is not a free software but you can get all you want: just smtp or stats and more.. what I really enjoyed was the stats service.. If you run an e-commerce you'll be familiar with the question: "did my customer got the email?" well with sendgrid you can actually answer that question. You'll have a full report and you can easily tell if your customer got the email or something went wrong. This is something just invaluable.

Cons:

This is not a pricy software but you need to understand its value. if your business is not big enough maybe it will be hard to sustain. nevertheless i just can say this is the place to look even if you have a small business. unless you want to take the burden of handling smtp this software is just awesome.

Alternatives Considered: MailUp, Zoho Mail and Mailchimp

Reasons for Choosing SendGrid: This is the best software if you need an affordable secure smtp with stats and cherries on top.

Switched From: Zoho Mail and Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid: SendGrid is my recommended choice. I'll keep suggesting it to all my customers.

Paul
Paul
Business Owner in UK
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

After 10 years - they banned by account without notice

Comments: I used the service for 10 years, sending telephone call receipts and email notifications from clients sites, not had any issues, then this last year clients started complaining about receiving emails at night. I thought that was odd, turns out that Sendgrid IP address was blacklisted, very expensive to upgrade to a dedicated IP address, so put up with the multitude of issues throughout the year - then last time complained about deliverability I then suddenly got an email to say "We have reviewed your account and have determined that Twilio’s services cannot support the content and/or nature of your business. " What an absolute JOKE, never host mission-critical email with these clowns - why suddenly an issue after 10 years! and why so careless suspend my account!

Pros:

Basic SMTP - no really a lot to like in fact it's awful

Cons:

We have reviewed your account and have determined that Twilio’s services cannot support the content and/or nature of your business. SLOW support

Alternatives Considered: Brevo

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid: because I thought Twilio would be reputable, I spend 3,000 a year at twilio, and they just cut my email off like that

Martin
CTO in Belgium

API implementation is shaky and there are some 500s that you can't solve

Comments: After ending up on a 500 error from their server on a simple endpoint to create API keys on subusers, I made a support ticket. I had some answers at first and then the ticket stayed unanswered for 24 days, after which I went to Twitter to push them to answer me. They did answer me and told me to try using the API test tool to see if that would also produce the same 500. It did, it was now pretty clear that the error was on their side. 2 days later my ticket was simply deleted without any answer, I cannot see it in my list anymore. Despite asking them about it on Twitter again, nothing changed... I would strongly avoid Sendgrid if you're planning on using it for anything important.

Pros:

If you use the most basic features of SendGrid, it will work and do what you need.

Cons:

Don't use Subusers, ever! If you are a company who will need to rely on their subusers feature to provide services to your client, please don't, you're wasting your time and you're better off trying another provider that has the same type of functionality but that actually WORKS and is more simple. 500s left and right, endpoints that simply don't work, wrong documentation, ...

Alternatives Considered: Campaign Monitor by Marigold and Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid: Because it looked more powerful, but that's the thing, it just seems more powerful but when you use it it's actually not. I'm switching to MailGun now.

Pranjal
Co founder in India
Media Production, 11–50 Employees

More about deliverability and less about total email marketing solution defines sendgrid.

Comments: Sendgrid is great with delivering emails and is undisputed in transactional emails . Use it for its top notch deliverability, reporting and analytics as no other application even comes close to it in these areas but as a total email marketing platform; it lacks behind as it has very few campaign automation features, it is difficult to get used to and has a poor customer support. It is also slightly more expensive than others and falls in the middle of the lineup in terms of pricing.

Pros:

Deliverability, reporting and analytics and email validation are the areas where sendgrid is at the top. It even tells you if the email ids you are sending emails to are active or are misspelled or are disposable. It has excellent reporting features and lets you know the emails which bounced, got opened or got unsubscribed. Its email editor is good wherein you can edit existing templates using drag and drop features and you can also use tags for sending personalised emails.

Cons:

Campaign automation, segmentation of contact lists are severe drawbacks of this application. There is hardly anything you can automate in terms of automating your campaigns or automating when to send emails on certain action points.

Alternatives Considered: Brevo, Mailchimp and Mailjet

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid: Because of its deliverability.

Ava
Ava
Marketing Operations Analyst in UK
Financial Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Solid option for our email marketing operations.

Comments: The most significant benefit my team has gained from Sendgrid is the assurance that our transactional emails and newsletters are delivered directly to our subscribers' inboxes, rather than being filtered out as spam.

Pros:

I absolutely love using Sendgrid for our email marketing needs. Its intuitive and user-friendly interface makes creating and sending professional-looking emails a breeze. The email list segmentation feature, which allows us to trigger email engagement based on user behavior within our app, has had a significant impact on our overall sales conversion workflow. Additionally, Sendgrid's reporting and analytics tools have been invaluable in measuring and identifying the strengths and weaknesses of our email campaigns through real-time data metrics. Overall, Sendgrid has been a game-changer for our email marketing efforts.

Cons:

Twilio's email builder is restrictive when it comes to available design options and flexibility. One area for improvement is its drag-and-drop editor, which could benefit from more advanced customization options, such as the ability to add custom HTML or CSS for greater design flexibility.

Anatoly
Anatoly
Founder & CEO in US
Information Services

SendGrid offers a great transactional email API, but deliverability & support issues hold it back

Comments: Easy integration into our platform and deliverability metrics. Dedicated IP, if you pay for it.

Pros:

We use SendGrid for transactional emails, such as welcome messages & notifications. Generally, SendGrid offers great tools to integrate emails into a variety of different application platforms and programming languages. We really like its level of detail when checking on the status of emails. Sendgrid is also free for basic transactional emails, which makes it easy to try and ensure it will work with your application. We use a third-party library called Nodemailer with Sendgrid, so switching from a different service to Sendgrid was trivial.

Cons:

While the service is easy to use and offers comprehensive email activity metrics, there are a few things about it we didn't like. First, because the free tier uses shared IPs, we consistently had emails that wouldn't get delivered because of IP blocks. There were a handful of IPs that we had that experience with, and it persisted for weeks -- without any support intervention. Sendgrid must have deliverability metrics on their side as well, so I am surprised they didn't drop these IPs from their IP pool proactively. We had to upgrade to the PRO plan, which was the least expensive plan that had a dedicated IP. We also had to pay extra for 30 days of email history, you get 3 days by default. I'd love to see all these options be a-la-carte, but I get that you need to make revenue somehow, and few companies send enough emails to justify jumping to the next paid plan -- unless you NEED that deliverability guarantee that you get w/ dedicated IPs, which we did.

blake
Director in Australia
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Used to be great but new API is both non functional and not supported at all

Comments: Currently we are extremely frustrated and disappointed with both the support and the product itself. I would leave tomorrow if we could.

Pros:

Originally it gave us full visibility into our emails and helped us get much better tracking on who was receiving what and when. Important to know emails had been delivered as we deal with large numbers of payslips and emails for our clients.

Cons:

Recently there's been a change with their new API which has been nothing short of woeful. We've had multiple clients either having emails not sent (where did they go?) or sending emails twice because they are getting incorrect feedback that the email hasn't been sent. (delivery report being wrong). This has been for invoices and payslips which are highly sensitive information to be missing or duplicated. It's made us look like fools repeatedly and our clients are furious. Sendgrid literally has one function which is to send emails and it's failing to do that accurately. The response for help in these scenarios has been non-existent at best and negligent at worst despite having been a client for over a year. We haven't had a response to urgent requests for over 4 days and our clients are furious.

Automotive, 10,000+ Employees

The best mailing solution?

Pros:

I think, that SendGrid might be the best solution for e-mail marketing purposes or sending automated e-mails in some sort of user flow. It really speeds up the development. The desktop/mobile formats make it easy to reliably send pre-specified e-mails.

Cons:

Some customizations might not be that straight forward for someone.

Alternatives Considered: Brevo and Mailchimp

Reasons for Choosing SendGrid: Too few customization options.

Switched From: Brevo

Matt
CTO in Canada
Telecommunications, 2–10 Employees

Best Transnational Email App

Comments: We use Sendgrid to send emails from our website and our SaaS applications. This allows us to send emails without worrying about local security surrounding SMTP servers and maintaining the servers and services around email. We love them for their free plan as well as it allows us to test and deploy without road blocks.

Pros:

The easy integration with their API and out of box integration with dozens of third parties. Easy to use SMTP gateway service and amazing free to start plan.

Cons:

Office365 now blocks most of Sendgrids IP ranges which makes delivery difficult in some cases. You can how ever upgrade to a dedicated IP and this isn't an issue with their software. Other than that, have more than 1 api user on the entry plan would be great but what can I complain about..

Alternatives Considered: Mailchimp Transactional Email

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid: Pricing.

Sheryl
Sheryl
Lead Generation Specialist in Canada
Real Estate, 1,001–5,000 Employees

SendGrid is one of the best EMS optimized for marketing professionals

Comments: SendGrid handles all of our mailing campaigns and we are very satisfied with the performance. I like the deliverability and tracking metrics provided by it.

Pros:

It's been over 2 years of using Sendgrid for many things within the marketing team. The code editor allows for effective e-mail marketing campaigns. SendGrid has tons of useful e-mail templates.

Cons:

SendGrid doesn't have an intuitive GUI to edit like MailChimp. To make a custom e-mail marketing campaign you must know how to code.

Alternatives Considered: HubSpot Marketing Hub, itracEMS, GetResponse and Mailchimp

Reasons for Choosing SendGrid: Cost and ease of use.

Switched From: GetResponse and Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid: Budgetary limitations

Suspended Account for no reason

Comments: very poor support experience

Pros:

it was quite easy to setup to use transactional emails and there was a free tier to start which is great for startups

Cons:

the reputation of the shared IP is not really good and we still landed in spam. the biggest problem we had was that from one day to the other my account was supsended because "we were sending spam". No warning upfront, no chance to react upfront - just the information the we are suspended now. The problem: this e-mail came on a Thursday evening (out of office for me) and I reacted on Friday. The support did not answer anymore so we where off over the whole weekend cause their complience team is available only during weekdays business hours. The 24/7 chat support could not help me either. I needed to wait and we lost a lot of signups during those days off. Finally I got an example from them and could identify the problem. What I worry about is the fact that we did not get any warnings and no examples. If they would simply warned us upfront we would have solved everything right away and we would not have lost so many days without transactional emails. so - really a very poor support experience.

Cristian
System architect in Argentina
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Good features, worst customer support ever..

Comments: Works fine until it doesn't. I would search for a provider with better customer support.

Pros:

It has a good set of features, not many competitors covers all the functions provided by SendGrid

Cons:

The customer supports is very bad. It was quite much better before it was bought by Twilio. When you have problems with their platform suddenly stop working (we stop getting emails for 2FA, pass reset, etc in a few days and delivery rate dropped below 20%). Their support was not responsive and their only option was to pay for more dedicate ips, increase or cost by x6....and only for sending a few emails per day.

Alternatives Considered: Mailchimp Transactional Email and Mailgun

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid: Better reputation.

Shuhan
Chief Product Officer in US
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Unacceptable random errors for a utility product

Pros:

Generally set and forget for the years that we've used them, but reliability has been a major problem recently -- see cons.

Cons:

Ever since last September, we've had about a 1% error rate with Sendgrid due to random 406 errors. Based on what we've seen on the internet, we're not the only ones. As a utility integration that the rest of our software depends on, this is wholly unacceptable. Imagine your product, and imagine that 1% of emails your product sends just randomly fail. Sadly, their support has no drive to actually solve the problem. We've been back and forth with their support for months now with no resolution. The last three interactions are about them asking about a different key in our request, one key at a time. This is the interaction after "escalation". At this point, we might get through describing a single API request by the end of the year. Strongly recommend to just go with any other vendor that actually works. As a utility play, there is no way you can afford to spend time worrying about whether your email provider is reliable.

Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

An excellent email marketing platform

Comments: The API is cost-effective due to its low operating expenses and lack of application development requirements. Even as a simple SMTP gateway, the API may execute a variety of tasks. These comprise distribution results and bounce information, which enable proper operation. The original enables MTA SaaS services. It is used to display messages from the service provider and to notify the public of impending announcements. It is difficult to function with an original nowadays since it could be utilized as a spam pass-through by hostile third parties. It can, however, operate safely if suitable security measures and patches are implemented on a regular basis. Using the SendGrid service liberates business owners from tasks over which they have no control.

Pros:

An wonderful platform, particularly for novices. It provides free trial packages for life, 100 emails every day, and an SMTP feature that can be linked with a program. Emails can be recorded and Follow Up can be done, as well as accurate analyses through development. There are numerous benefits, and it is easy to create an HTML form to place on a landing page or your website to enroll individuals in a mailing list for a charge.

Cons:

Haven't really thought about anything negative with this.

Best Transactional Email Service Out there

Comments: Extremely satisfied till now and have been using it for the past 4 years.

Pros:

The uptime and delivery monitoring service is the best in class. No doubt large enterprises like Uber, Spotify, etc. use sendgrid for their email delivery. Additionally, its overall communication tools suite like Twilio SMS, Whatsapp business make it an all in one solution for all the communication related APIs

Cons:

Probably needs a little elaborative developer documentation with respective to example code samples for a newbie.

Alternatives Considered: Brevo and Mailchimp