- Cloud, SaaS, Web (276)
- Installed - Mac (60)
- Installed - Windows (81)
- Mobile - Android Native (135)
- Mobile - iOS Native (138)
- Collaboration Tools (227)
- Create Subtasks (229)
- Mobile Access (168)
- Percent-Complete Tracking (156)
- Recurring Task Management (173)
- Reporting/Analytics (157)
- Task Board View (115)
- Task Management (132)
- Time Tracking (187)
- To-Do List View (145)
Table of Contents
What is task management software?
Task management is an essential component of project management that helps businesses segment a project into associated and sequential tasks. Each task is planned, distributed, scheduled, and monitored individually. Task management software helps teams work cohesively using features such as task scheduling, progress reporting, and time tracking. It helps users keep track of the time spent on each task, and helps stakeholders meet their project deadlines. Additional functions of the task management system include budget planning, email sync, to-do lists, and task reminders.
The benefits of task management software
Task management software helps businesses streamline their project lifecycle, minimize the possibilities of sudden roadblocks, and facilitate cross-team communication and collaboration, all of which save businesses time and money.
Specific benefits include:
- Increased productivity: Task management tool lets project managers segment projects into tasks and sub-tasks. Each task can be assigned to a specific individual or team and have a unique set of goals, KPIs, and milestones. Each team member is assigned specific duties and responsibilities.
- Optimized workflow management: Task management tool lets businesses analyze an entire project life to identify bottlenecks and time-consuming activities that need special attention. This helps managers prioritize and schedule tasks, as well as efficiently design the overall project strategy for smooth execution.
Typical features of task management software
- Alerts/notifications: Track key milestones and notify stakeholders about new assignments, updates, errors, and accomplishments.
- Task editing/updating: Edit and update a task based on project need or resource availability.
- Task progress tracking: Track task progress throughout its lifecycle and monitor key performance indicators.
- Task scheduling: Schedule and assign tasks to individuals or teams. This includes setting a start date and deadline when creating a task.
- Task tagging: Create tags and labels for tasks and sub-tasks to organize and categorize them, add context, and collect task-related information.
- Create sub-tasks: Split tasks into smaller, actionable sub-tasks to execute and manage tasks at a micro level.
- Recurring task management: Create tasks and events that are repeated on a specific time and day during a week, month, or year. This prevents businesses from rescheduling redundant work.
- Time tracking: Track collective time spent by all stakeholders on their assigned tasks.
Considerations when purchasing task management software
- Business needs: Task management software generally offers a variety of subscription options, from basic to advanced plans. Subscription costs increase as you add features. Businesses should evaluate their key feature requirements, compare pricing plans for multiple products, and choose a product that meets both their requirements and budget.
- Market-specific software: If your business serves a niche market such as healthcare, marketing, logistics, or construction, consider a task management system specifically designed for your dedicated market(s). These solutions help you manage and report tasks according to specific legal requirements and compliance at no additional cost. (Consult this Capterra piece about HIPAA-compliant project management solutions as an example.)
Relevant task management software trends
- AI and chatbots are the next big thing: With artificial intelligence (AI) integrated into the core solution, small businesses can now automate most of their redundant workflows. Chatbots can automate crucial task management system workflows that include automatic task assignments, content promotion, status report building, and more.
- Mobility: Although mobility in task management system has existed for quite some time, it remains a key trend. With increasing globalization and mobilization of resources, users are looking for mobile-ready task management software that lets them keep track of their assigned tasks, check schedules, monitor progress, and follow up on communication from anywhere.